Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 QX56 and have the BD tuner arriving Monday. The website says you can use the premium tune for towing. Other tuners have a tow setting. Is it really safe to tow with the premium tune?? I will be pulling a 7,000 lb trailer from Toronto, Canada to Florida straight down I75. Has the tuner really been tested for towing? I want the the HP for the haul up the mountains. But don't want to cause any damage..

Thanks

>>This engine tune is recommended for use with 91 or 93 octane gasoline. This tune can be used for everyday driving, towing and racing. Dynamometer testing results have shown up to 22 horsepower and 24 ft.-lbs torque increase, on the premium tune, to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
365 Posts
dont see why towing would hurt anything. as long as its not pinging i see no issues.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
If it were me, I would tow using the regular tune with 0 timing advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to call tech support as it would not load. Kept getting a security warning. I had everything off and had a charger on. Still would not work. I called tech support and the emailed me another build and I am up and running. Great service!! They said that I should be fine with the premium tune. So I loaded it.

Weird thing was my radiator fans would come on every time the tuner was accessing the truck computer.

Well I will be heading out tonight weather permitting. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
thats what the fan is supposed to do.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
It tows great in Premium with the 2 degree!

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
There's plenty of timing advance in both the regular and premium tunes, so adding another 2 with more load (towing) is risky IMO.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
There's plenty of timing advance in both the regular and premium tunes, so adding another 2 with more load (towing) is risky IMO.
Without detonation and without temp increase, what kind of risk is there?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Without detonation and without temp increase, what kind of risk is there?
There is none if there is no detonation and temperature increase. How many forum members can digitally check their temperature under load? Both BD tunes run timing up to 33-34 degrees with no additional timing advance. Why would you want to run 34-36 degrees of timing under heavy load when towing?

When knock happens, its usually a combination of factors e.g. over-advanced timing combined with heating effects resulting in a step pressure rise, and general destruction eventually ensues.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I have towed the trailer 500+ miles since my last post, including up down some of California's steepest and longest grades with no issues at all with the tune. Trust me after my last tuner, I am all to aware of what COULD happen..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts