Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to the site and wanted to give a little feeback on my Titan XE 4WD w/prefered package. IMO for $25,000 the Titan XE is a good value, strong V8, good towing ability, roomy, nice standard features.

BUT but I do have just one issue.
I purchased my truck in order to tow my road race car and trailer. So when I got it, I also picked up the class 3 trailer hitch, accessories, and brake controller harness. The dealer said that every Titan was pre wired for trailer brakes and all I needed was the harness. So a few days ago I go and pick up my trailer and have the brake controller installed. After about 3 hours of searching for the plug we call the dealer, he assures the trailer place and me that it's there. So I drive the hour or so to get to the dealer so he can "show me" where the plug was. "Oh, I don't see it, Let me call Nissan." "Oh, Sorry, Nissan said the XE is not pre wired for a brake controller." Needless to say, I'm a little pissed off at this point. With only 1 day till I leave on my 8 hour trip to VIR raceway, I have no trailer brakes. So I'm forced to take an extra day off work, purchase a brake controller hard wire kit, and do the install myself. What a pain in the a**.

Anyway I got it installed and everthing went well for my trip. The truck towed like there was nothing back there. Here is a pic of my truck with trailer and car. Enjoy!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
christitan said:
Hi, I'm new to the site and wanted to give a little feeback on my Titan XE w/prefered package. IMO for $25,000 the Titan XE is a good value, strong V8, good towing ability, roomy, nice standard features.

BUT but I do have just one issue.
I purchased my truck in order to tow my road race car and trailer. So when I got it, I also picked up the class 3 trailer hitch, accessories, and brake controller harness. The dealer said that every Titan was pre wired for trailer brakes and all I needed was the harness. So a few days ago I go and pick up my trailer and have the brake controller installed. After about 3 hours of searching for the plug we call the dealer, he assures the trailer place and me that it's there. So I drive the hour or so to get to the dealer so he can "show me" where the plug was. "Oh, I don't see it, Let me call Nissan." "Oh, Sorry, Nissan said the XE is not pre wired for a brake controller." Needless to say, I'm a little pissed off at this point. With only 1 day till I leave on my 8 hour trip to VIR raceway, I have no trailer brakes. So I'm forced to take an extra day off work, purchase a brake controller hard wire kit, and do the install myself. What a pain itn the a**.

Anyway I got it installed and everthing went well for my trip. The truck towed like there was nothing back there. Here is a pick of my truck with trailer and car. Enjoy!
I think you get the prewire for the electric brakes on the Big Tow package. Nissan probably thinks that if you don't get the Big Tow package you won't have a need to pull something heavy enough to have electric brakes. Most dealers don't know a lot about the Titan. Almost 100% of what I have learned about the Titan came from TitanTalk members.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
The pre-wire and clip are part of the Big Tow......bummer. It takes 15 minutes to wire up the brake controller. The real thing is that almost all the dealers are pretty clueless about the Titan, there is more knowledge here, with the Titan owners than just about all the dealers and parts guys out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Just above the bumper on the left side should be the back of seven pin connector. And behind the Drivers under dash panel, next to the steering column (it's taped up to the main harness) is the brake controller connector. Should be there on all trucks XE - LE. I hate to say it, but Bayou Titan is correct, the dealers are a little lost as are a few at Nissan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Derwud said:
Just above the bumper on the left side should be the back of seven pin connector. And behind the Drivers under dash panel, next to the steering column (it's taped up to the main harness) is the brake controller connector. Should be there on all trucks XE - LE. I hate to say it, but Bayou Titan is correct, the dealers are a little lost as are a few at Nissan.
Yes, the rear seven pin connector is there but not the brake controller plug. That's my point. Why would Nissan produce a different wiring harness just for the XE? How much money could it have possibly saved them?
Only the SE and LE are prewired under the dash for the brake controller, regardless of the Big Tow package.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
christitan said:
Yes, the rear seven pin connector is there but not the brake controller plug. That's my point. Why would Nissan produce a different wireing harness just for the XE? How much money could it have possibly saved them?
Only the SE and LE are prewired under the dash for the brake controller, regardless of the Big Tow package.
It has to be there. If you send me a PM with your e-mail, I can send you pictures of where the connector is. You will also need the connector/adaptor from Nissan, part Number 24167-7S000, should be like 12 bucks or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Derwud said:
It has to be there. If you send me a PM with your e-mail, I can send you pictures of where the connector is. You will also need the connector/adaptor from Nissan, part Number 24167-7S000, should be like 12 bucks or so.
Sorry, it's not there. I know it sounds ridiculous but it's the awful truth. I already have the connector/adapter from Nissan and the plug you mention is not wired into the XE's. Nissan changed the entire wiring harness just to save a couple bucks. I looked, the trailer place looked, and the main tech at the dealer looked (who personally installed a brake controller on an SE). Finally the dealer called Nissan USA and they confirmed that is only prewired in the SE and LE models, that is why you can't get the Big Tow package with the XE. I'm just trying to put this out there to save other XE owners a lot of trouble when they look to hook up a electronic brake controller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
christitan said:
Sorry, it's not there. I know it sounds ridiculous but it's the awful truth. I already have the connector/adapter from Nissan and the plug you mention is not wired into the XE's. Nissan changed the entire wiring harness just to save a couple bucks. I looked, the trailer place looked, and the main tech at the dealer looked (who personally installed a brake controller on an SE). Finally the dealer called Nissan USA and they confirmed that is only prewired in the SE and LE models, that is why you can't get the Big Tow package with the XE. I'm just trying to put this out there to save other XE owners a lot of trouble when they look to hook up a electronic brake controller.
It's more likely they moved the connector then deleted it.

Where do you live?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
ChrisTitan,

My truck should be ready next week and I do not have big tow, I did check the rear and I do have the 7 pin connector, I just need to pull the under dash panel and take a picture of the connector and it's location. If you PM me your e-mail address I will send you pic's I have from other trucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
Here are some pictures I took from a truck. I have heard it might have moved and is now next to the A-pilar taped to the harness.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Derwud said:
Here are some pictures I took from a truck. I have heard it might have moved and is now next to the A-pilar taped to the harness.

Thanks, but that is exactly where we looked and it is not there. I'm forced to believe that Nissan went through the trouble of creating a different wiring harness for the XE's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
The quote below is from a co-worker when I asked him about the brake connector on his Titan.

"No. The connector is wrapped totally inside the harness tape directly above the plug above the parking brake pedal. The white connector is not visible at all. You have to look for a "lump" in the harness and cut the tape. I used an Exacto razor knife. It would be difficult to reach the harness with a single edge razor blade..."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,509 Posts
christitan said:
Thanks, but that is exactly where we looked and it is not there. I'm forced to believe that Nissan went through the trouble of creating a different wiring harness for the XE's.
Did you ever find the connector?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Sorry for you troubles.

I have a SE CC and just added the "CLASS III" hitch that the dealer list for 229.00, I paid near $200 before tax. It is the exact same hitch that comes with the BIG TOW package.
The instruction are quite clear and detailed and they even give the CLASS-IV specs. The REAR wiring harness was found as advertised under the rear bumper on the left side.

My kit also included 2 relays which are inside the engine bay. You probably have the same instruction but the mention the trailer break adapter (switch) that must be purchased separately for connecting a brake controller. The wiring harness for the XE is different for many reason, alarm, remote entry door lock, power windows, upgradable stereo, fog lights etc. Why waste the money on all the extra wires if not needed for production. Again I am sorry for the hassle but I am sure you'll get it figured out.
Nice race car!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Derwud said:
Did you ever find the connector?
See, I'm not crazy! The XE is not prewired for the trailer brakes.

Just recieved this bulletin this morning, and here is the part that concerns you guys!!

Reference: NAB/04-020 Date: March 31, 2004
TO: ALL NISSAN SALES, PARTS, AND SERVICE MANAGERS
SUBJECT: TOWING ACCESSORIES – APPLICATION & HARNESS UPDATES
FRONTIER, PATHFINDER, TITAN
This is to advise you that there are changes to the following towing accessories:
1. MY04 Titan: Application Update
 XE models are NOT pre-wired for trailer brakes
2. MY98 – MY04 Frontier: New Tow Harness Kits
 Increased capacity for trailer lighting circuits from 3.0 amps to 9.0 amps
 Automatic circuit overload protection to protect vehicle circuits from trailer
electrical load
 Automatic reset of overload circuit breaker
3. MY04 - Pathfinder: New Tow Harness Kit
 Increased capacity for trailer lighting circuits from 3.0 amps to 16.8 amps
 Automatic circuit overload protection to protect vehicle circuits from trailer
electrical load
 Automatic reset of overload circuit breaker
Application Details:
1. MY04 Titan: XE models NOT prewired for trailer brake
The MY04 Titan Accessories Application Chart communicated in NAB/04-005 does not
specify that XE models have no factory-installed trailer brake pre-wiring.
DESCRIPTION PART NUMBER APPLICATION DEALER

SUGG. RETAIL $229.00
Receiver Hitch 999T5-WQ100 All, w/o Big Tow Pkg - NO trailer
brake pre-wiring on XE models
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
Foo said:
I just ordered a Class III for $153 with free shipping. :computern

here -> http://store.yahoo.com/hitches4less/20niticliii.html

Not sure how it will look until I get it.
Got a class IV from Ebay for $79. Heaviest hitch I've ever installed, had to use an extra pair of hands to hold it while I bolted it on.

Other than rated towing capacities, how are the III and IV different? from pictures, it just looks like the class IV extends further under the truck with an extra pair of bolts.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top