Nissan Titan Forum banner

Towing with my XE.

8K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Oceanus 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to the site and wanted to give a little feeback on my Titan XE 4WD w/prefered package. IMO for $25,000 the Titan XE is a good value, strong V8, good towing ability, roomy, nice standard features.

BUT but I do have just one issue.
I purchased my truck in order to tow my road race car and trailer. So when I got it, I also picked up the class 3 trailer hitch, accessories, and brake controller harness. The dealer said that every Titan was pre wired for trailer brakes and all I needed was the harness. So a few days ago I go and pick up my trailer and have the brake controller installed. After about 3 hours of searching for the plug we call the dealer, he assures the trailer place and me that it's there. So I drive the hour or so to get to the dealer so he can "show me" where the plug was. "Oh, I don't see it, Let me call Nissan." "Oh, Sorry, Nissan said the XE is not pre wired for a brake controller." Needless to say, I'm a little pissed off at this point. With only 1 day till I leave on my 8 hour trip to VIR raceway, I have no trailer brakes. So I'm forced to take an extra day off work, purchase a brake controller hard wire kit, and do the install myself. What a pain in the a**.

Anyway I got it installed and everthing went well for my trip. The truck towed like there was nothing back there. Here is a pic of my truck with trailer and car. Enjoy!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 · (Edited)
Derwud said:
Just above the bumper on the left side should be the back of seven pin connector. And behind the Drivers under dash panel, next to the steering column (it's taped up to the main harness) is the brake controller connector. Should be there on all trucks XE - LE. I hate to say it, but Bayou Titan is correct, the dealers are a little lost as are a few at Nissan.
Yes, the rear seven pin connector is there but not the brake controller plug. That's my point. Why would Nissan produce a different wiring harness just for the XE? How much money could it have possibly saved them?
Only the SE and LE are prewired under the dash for the brake controller, regardless of the Big Tow package.

Discussion starter · #7 · (Edited)
Derwud said:
It has to be there. If you send me a PM with your e-mail, I can send you pictures of where the connector is. You will also need the connector/adaptor from Nissan, part Number 24167-7S000, should be like 12 bucks or so.
Sorry, it's not there. I know it sounds ridiculous but it's the awful truth. I already have the connector/adapter from Nissan and the plug you mention is not wired into the XE's. Nissan changed the entire wiring harness just to save a couple bucks. I looked, the trailer place looked, and the main tech at the dealer looked (who personally installed a brake controller on an SE). Finally the dealer called Nissan USA and they confirmed that is only prewired in the SE and LE models, that is why you can't get the Big Tow package with the XE. I'm just trying to put this out there to save other XE owners a lot of trouble when they look to hook up a electronic brake controller.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Derwud said:
Here are some pictures I took from a truck. I have heard it might have moved and is now next to the A-pilar taped to the harness.

Thanks, but that is exactly where we looked and it is not there. I'm forced to believe that Nissan went through the trouble of creating a different wiring harness for the XE's.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Derwud said:
Did you ever find the connector?
See, I'm not crazy! The XE is not prewired for the trailer brakes.

Just recieved this bulletin this morning, and here is the part that concerns you guys!!

Reference: NAB/04-020 Date: March 31, 2004
TO: ALL NISSAN SALES, PARTS, AND SERVICE MANAGERS
SUBJECT: TOWING ACCESSORIES – APPLICATION & HARNESS UPDATES
FRONTIER, PATHFINDER, TITAN
This is to advise you that there are changes to the following towing accessories:
1. MY04 Titan: Application Update
 XE models are NOT pre-wired for trailer brakes
2. MY98 – MY04 Frontier: New Tow Harness Kits
 Increased capacity for trailer lighting circuits from 3.0 amps to 9.0 amps
 Automatic circuit overload protection to protect vehicle circuits from trailer
electrical load
 Automatic reset of overload circuit breaker
3. MY04 - Pathfinder: New Tow Harness Kit
 Increased capacity for trailer lighting circuits from 3.0 amps to 16.8 amps
 Automatic circuit overload protection to protect vehicle circuits from trailer
electrical load
 Automatic reset of overload circuit breaker
Application Details:
1. MY04 Titan: XE models NOT prewired for trailer brake
The MY04 Titan Accessories Application Chart communicated in NAB/04-005 does not
specify that XE models have no factory-installed trailer brake pre-wiring.
DESCRIPTION PART NUMBER APPLICATION DEALER

SUGG. RETAIL $229.00
Receiver Hitch 999T5-WQ100 All, w/o Big Tow Pkg - NO trailer
brake pre-wiring on XE models

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.