Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Nissan titan XE with 4 wheel drive and tow package. My family consists of two adults and four small children. Can I tow my 6800 pound fourwinds TT with WD hitch effectively? Is the gross weight of the truck labeled on the truck or do I have to have it weighted? Thanks for your time.:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
You shouldn't have no problem with towing. I have a 05 SE 4x4 and tow a 27ft TT. Towed earlier this year in 98-100 degree weather, 2 adults, 2 children, and our household dog. Towed in 4th gear with Tow Mode on, 60 mph with A/C on Max. No problems.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The GVW should be on the sticker inside the drivers door.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Stay out of 5th(OD) and downshift to 3rd before waiting for the trans to do so...and if it runs 3500-3800 rpm up the grades don't worry it runs just fine like that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is the 6800 the dry weight of the TT, or the GVWR of the TT?

Also, the titan payload is limited, so you have to count the weight of the adults and the 3 kids and the hitch weight from the TT.

I think your ok, but your probably pushing the GVWR for the Titan.

The weakness in the Titan isn't its towing capacity or the engine, its the payload of the titan being just a half ton.

I tow a 5000lb dry TT loaded to probably around 6000 and have two adults and two kids ... and often bring a 130 genset and 4 bikes with me. And this righ tows pretty good in the Colorado mtns in 4th.

I'd say your probably fine, but you can take it to a weight station to figure out exactly where your at.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My dad has a pottery company and we sell at art and craft shows and we had the biggest show we ever do in tempe a few months ago and my dads 1 ton got totaled so my truck was next in line, anyways we packed a wells cargo full of pottery weighing around 7000 pounds, had a minumum of 800 pounds of pottery in the bed and 3 adults and a dog in the cab, pulled 80 with the ac cranked no problem took passes at 65, i was blown away the load was huge and it truely did perform like a titan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bunkers said:
Is the 6800 the dry weight of the TT, or the GVWR of the TT?

Also, the titan payload is limited, so you have to count the weight of the adults and the 3 kids and the hitch weight from the TT.

I think your ok, but your probably pushing the GVWR for the Titan.

The weakness in the Titan isn't its towing capacity or the engine, its the payload of the titan being just a half ton.

I tow a 5000lb dry TT loaded to probably around 6000 and have two adults and two kids ... and often bring a 130 genset and 4 bikes with me. And this righ tows pretty good in the Colorado mtns in 4th.

I'd say your probably fine, but you can take it to a weight station to figure out exactly where your at.
The dry weight of the trailer is 6800#. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
62 Posts
With the WD setup properly, you should be within specs, though not by a huge margin. I would suggest running the truck tires at 40-44 psi (more margin to avoid heat buildup and blowouts, though the trailer tires are usually the weakest link on this), and to avoid carrying too much heavy stuff in the bed.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
You can probably tow the neighbors kids too! (IF THEY'D FIT) The GVWR is set with PLENTY of room to play with. Technically, I go over mine all the time. I pack the bed with bikes, firewood, fishing gear etc, then inside I have myself, the wife and 3 kids, and an 8500LB (approx) TT with a 960LB tongue weight. No problems so far in over 3 years,.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts