Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:computern I just bought a 2007 Nissan Titan King Cab XE 4X4 with Tow package from the factory. I have a couple of questions. I have a 2005 Four Winds 26ft. travel trailer. It weighs 6840# and has a hitch weight of 756#. I want to know if anybody has towed a load like this and how did the truck do? I would also like to know if it is possible to install extend tow mirrors on my truck. The XE does not have this option. It does not matter if they are power. Thanks for any input.
:computern​

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Pat J said:
:computern I just bought a 2007 Nissan Titan King Cab XE 4X4 with Tow package from the factory. I have a couple of questions. I have a 2005 Four Winds 26ft. travel trailer. It weighs 6840# and has a hitch weight of 756#. I want to know if anybody has towed a load like this and how did the truck do?
The truck will do great. Your tongue weight is good, so it should track well. I tow something similar, an Arctic Fox 26J that weighs in at about 7000# when it's all ready to go. Make sure you have a sway cancelling hitch, there are a couple of them out there, (I have a Reese twin-cam) and they're pretty good. Don't count on those little brake thingys for sway control; you need more than that with this lighter pickup. The truck handles grades just great. Tow in 4, keep your head on straight, you'll have NO problem with this truck.

Also get a good brake controller. Most of us here swear by the Tekonsha Prodigy. I've had others in the past, and the Prodigy is far and away the best I've owned.

Pat J said:
I would also like to know if it is possible to install extend tow mirrors on my truck. The XE does not have this option. It does not matter if they are power. Thanks for any input.
:computern​
Yes, it can be done. Lots of aftermarket shops have the Big Tow style mirrors available in their catalogs. My SE came without them; I had them installed for about $450. I went that route when I got mine because they just weren't available either as used or as takeoffs then. There may be someone here on the board selling BT mirrors or is willing to trade if you want to do it yourself.

Hope this helps. Keep asking questions - we're glad to help you out in any way. Oh, and what I should have said first thing (slap forehead)... welcome to TitanTalk!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, the generic clamp-on mirror extenders don't always work that well. The extendable tow mirrors can be installed on XE, but you don't have the wiring to run the power adjust; price is kinda steep unless you can find some from a junkyard or such. There's some threads on doing the swap if you do a search.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you don't have the BT mirrors get them! There were a set on sale but I had already ordered mine at that point!

·
Registered
293 Posts
If it didnt come with the bt mirrors does that mean he only has a tow package , not bt? That much weight on non bt is getting up there right?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't know honestly. It may be limited to SE/LE without modification.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hondarider227 said:
If it didnt come with the bt mirrors does that mean he only has a tow package , not bt? That much weight on non bt is getting up there right?
XE BT does not come with the mirrors. Non BT XE can tow 6500 due to tire load restrictions. I plan on upgrading my tires so I can have a little more leeway with around 7200# vice 6500.. I have already ordered the OEM Hitch from Nissan which included the relays.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It looks like i picked the right truck to tow with. :cheers:
I was a bit concerned after the Carson trailer place near me said i should not go over 24' of trailer. Looks like you guys are doing just fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My trailer is 35' hitch to bumper, the box is 31'. Weight 8,200 loaded for a trip. No issues at all but since I switched to true LT type tires it seems to handle wind better. Tow in 4th with tow mode on in mountains and high winds and off on flats with no wind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would the stock BFG off-road tires (Rugged Trail) have the larger "tow rating"?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am just about to begin my third year of towing with my 2004 SE (bought in Oct. 2004). My trailer is 6500# as I tow it and have had no issues at all. Mountains, Flats, Curves, or just plain freeway cruising.

Power is more than adequate. My biggest problem is towing too fast (because I can) and the mileage drops below 10 mpg. If I just stick to the posted speed for trailer towing (60 mph here is WA) I can break 11 mpg while pulling the trailer.

It is fun though to pass those smoking diesel p/u's as they try and tow smaller trailers over a mountain pass.:boxing:

·
Registered
62 Posts
BillR said:
Would the stock BFG off-road tires (Rugged Trail) have the larger "tow rating"?
I honestly think that bit of difference in tow capacity between the non-tow package XE and SE is pretty much random marketing BS. The same tires are used on the XE whether it is rated for 6500 lbs tow or 9500 lbs tow (with the different axle ratio in the tow package). Somebody wanted to make the SE/LE buyers feel like they were getting something more for their money (or give the salesmen another line to use for the upsell).

While the XE tires are slightly larger circumference (hence slightly lower effective axle ratio), the difference is minimal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think you have to have 15 post. Did you say a 5th wheel. I wanna see some pics. How heavy is it. Is your bed long enough for the king pin?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I tow a Fourwinds 31BH with slide. Weighs probably around 8k. I have a weight distribution by reese and a tow-rite anti-sway. I don't have BT. My Titan does quite well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts