Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im need some tire help guys I like the aggresive tread of the Toyos and Kumhos the both get good reviews on treadlife which is important to me since my truck is on road 99% of the time the price between both is only about 50 bucks so that's not an issue the Yoyo size is 285/75/18 and the Kumho is 35x12.50 18 help me choose between the two.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i like my Kumhos. not much noise from them and they seem to be wearing really well. i'd buy them again...

good luck

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
The Kumho in that size are skinnier than most of their sizes, only 11" on a 9" width rim. Toyo's are 12" on a 9" rim and 11.6" on an 8" rim. The Toyo's are a hair taller too at 35.1" vs. 34.8". The Toyo's also weigh about 3.5 pounds less, so no big benefit for the Kumho in weight.

I got 37K miles out of my Toyo M/T's, and I drive a lot of curves, and no freeway, (my stock tires lasted 23K miles, and the Nitto Terra Grapplers 31.3K miles as a comparison). The KL71's might be just as good, but I really liked the Toyo's on road and off. The had the aftermarket siping and were great in the rain even at the wear bars.

Btw, by picking a lighter tire the, fuel savings can counter the treadlife. On my Titan each 15 pounds equates to 1 mpg. For example the DuraTrac in a 34.6" LT325/65R18 is only 64 pounds, 10 pounds less than the KL71, or 2/3 mpg on my truck. If both tires got 35K miles of life, the 64 pounders would save 153.5 gallons of gas and at $4/gal that is $614. If the DuraTracs don't last as long, and if the 64 pound DuraTracs got only 30K miles of life, 86% of the hypothetical case of the KL71, and both sets cost $1300 out the door, then that's about 14% of the $1300 that is unrealized by them which equates to $182. So $614 - $182 = $432 savings using the above scenario, :)

OP, what type of lift are you running?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Toyo's are made in USA. Not sure if the Kumho's are or not.

For me, I'd get the USA made Toyo's, our economy could use all the help it can get! ( I am one of those few Americans that actually cares about these things)

Besides the political crap, the Toyo's are really a well respected MT tire. Everyone in my neighborhood has 'em, including me. Mine are siped and do OK in most conditions. They seem to last a long time too, however I put very few miles on my truck, and my 4 yr-old Toyo's are more likely to rot away than wear out for me. Mine have 20K on 'em, the tread depth is still very thick, the siping is still deep. But I am getting little cracks all over from age.

BTW, I like Kumho tires, I've had their car tires years ago. I can't say anything about their truck tires.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Toyo MT is hands down the best MT I have ever tried. I would highly reccommend the Toyo MT to anybody. Expensive as hell though!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
With the 285, or the the skinny Kumho 35x12.5, you could probably run stock backspacing with the CST, which is 5.5", about 25mm on an 8" rim. On a 9" width, for the same 5.5" backspacing, that would be +12mm offset.

Although there have been some that have fit 295's on stock rims, with the CST spindle, to allow for airing down, I would go with a 5" backspacing, (probably even with the skinny KL71's, in case I wanted something else latter. On a 9", a 5" backspacing is 0mm offset.

There are a few Procomp rims, (at least in the 17's), with 4.75" backspacing and 8.5" width, that would stick out 1/4" less than a 9 with 5" BS ... the more they stick out, the more likely it is that they will rub at the pinch weld. I run 8" width rims with 4.5" backspacing, so they stick out an inch more than the OEM 8" rims, and had 305's on them, but with just a leveling kit, had to do the pinch weld mod, see the link in my sig. Also, unlike the bracket lifts, the spindle lifts don't move your front wheels forward by an inch, so mudguard and pinch weld rubbing is more of a concern.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
FWIW, I just went through this whole contemplation... - lol... I ended up with Cooper Discoverer STT... They are every bit as aggressive, cost less, and weigh less but with an excellent tread wear rating... I think they are made with Silica that contributes to the weight reduction, I just know that they're pretty close to the same weight that my Terra Grapplers were... After getting them Dynamic Balanced, they've been quiet and smooth as butter... They're even riding more comfortably OTR than my Terra Grapplers were... The 35's did hurt my MPG and towing capabilities a little more though where 33's were still doing well at...

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I like 'em both but ended up getting first Nitto Mud Grapplers, then my current Trail Grapplers. LOVE these tires. I'm also even considering the Coopers mentioned above for my next set, unless I go disco w/35x20's and get new rims next time - in that case I'll go with the Toyo's. No idea what I'll do next, it's still at least two years away for me.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
The Toyo are great, you'll love them... They're just really heavy is all... The Nitto Trail Grapplers are really heavy too, there was a set sitting next to mine and they made mine feel like feather weights. - lol.... The Kumho were tempting too but I decided to go for the lower price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts