Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody really know how this system works??? I had Firestone reset after fixing a leak. It was fine until one morning my tire pressure dropped below the threshold indicating low pressure. Silly me, I kept driving. Finally when I finally filled up the tire it was below 25 PSI. Now the TPMS indicator "Blinks" for the 1 to 2 minutes at ignition then stays on even though the tire pressures are OK! - My understanding is that when it drops below an "OH SH*T!" level it needs to be reset by the dealer or someone with the knowledge and equipment to do the work Charging in excess of $30 to $50 dollars!!!

Can someone confirm or add to this info. Thanks. - makes me want to purchase the necessary equipment and start low balling all the service departments out there!

- 2007 LE Crew w/o Nav 122,000 miles - left rear axle seal leaking after an additional 60K miles.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
that is correct. there is a limit from when they get set. lets say 5psi. if they set them at 40psi, you have a 5psi margin. once it surpasses, like 10psi they wont reset on their own. you have to have them reset. also your spare does not have tpms in it, so if you get a flat it will come on and stay on.

·
Premium Member
15,662 Posts
my local discount tire was able to reset my system. and they did it for free.

·
Premium Member
44,913 Posts
If the TPMS was reset after your repair and you have not moved location of your tires there is a malfunction in the system. If tire location has not changed, once you go above the min pressure ~25lbs it the warning light should reset after a short drive....maybe firestone f-ed up a sensor...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies! I think my case is rtc1184's, it hasn't been reset since the pressure dropped below 25 PSI. Does "RESET" mean placing the special diag. tool at each tire and waiting for the lights to flash? Can the minimum pressure set point be easily changed?

Beason, I hope Firestone is as generous as discount tire. I'm headed there this morning to have them replace my stress/ defect cracked factory RIM. I've been dealing with a very slow leak in one of my tires for about 4 to 5 months and Firestone found a troublesome 1.5 cm crack just above the valve stem. They temporarily patched until I could get a new RIM. (NISSAN quoted $995! I bought one from WheelsandCaps.com for about $120+ship.)

What's with Texas and Titans? I was in Houston last December working and couldn't believe how many Titans I saw.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Mine don't need to be reset after dropping below 25. I am under 25 all the time. I get them back around 35 the light goes out on its own.

·
Premium Member
15,662 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies! I think my case is rtc1184's, it hasn't been reset since the pressure dropped below 25 PSI. Does "RESET" mean placing the special diag. tool at each tire and waiting for the lights to flash? Can the minimum pressure set point be easily changed?

Beason, I hope Firestone is as generous as discount tire. I'm headed there this morning to have them replace my stress/ defect cracked factory RIM. I've been dealing with a very slow leak in one of my tires for about 4 to 5 months and Firestone found a troublesome 1.5 cm crack just above the valve stem. They temporarily patched until I could get a new RIM. (NISSAN quoted $995! I bought one from WheelsandCaps.com for about $120+ship.)

What's with Texas and Titans? I was in Houston last December working and couldn't believe how many Titans I saw.
The discount i used, smashed one of my sensors when they were changing them over to my new wheels. They replaced it for me and reset the system. the light came back on about a week later, and they reset it again. has been good ever since. when we get a cold snap the light will come on, but i put air in the tire(s) that are low, and it goes right back out.

Yea there are quite a few titans in the area, but they arent friendlies... I hardly ever even get a wave from any other titans.

If you ever back in Houston, let me know, maybe i can get a few MA guys to show you around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Beason - that would very cool! I love Texas, my company is moving it operations to Dallas from Pleasanton, CA, and my brother lives in Austin, surprised about "no wave" just about everyone I've met seemed really friendly. Regarding the picture of your Titan on the beach, was that taken in Galveston?
I take mine to the Outerbanks of NC. I love driving on the beach.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firestone remounted my tire on the new rim for $20 (great in my opinion), though they couldn't reset the TPMS, said they spent 45 minutes trying. The manager said to stop by in later in the week when one of his sharper tech's is around and they will give it another try.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Sounds like you might have a hosed sensor. The dealer should never have to reset your TPMS. I have had a few total run flats and after the repair and back on teh truck the light goes out in short drive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Shane06FL, come to think of it your absolutely Right!!! I forgot I had a flat and didn't have an issue with the TPMS!!! So what the heck! I had my repair man take a look at the air leak. They thought it was around the valve stem and couldn't reset the TPMS. I then took it to Firestone and they told me that the TPMS was bad and replaced it! I took it back and then they told me it was a previous plug and they patched it (no charge). Then again took it back to them and they finally figured it out that the RIM had a hairline crack just above the sensor. (It was a weird one to find) They said a quote from Nissan for a new rim was $900 and patched it for me temporarily (no charge). Reset the TPMS but it didn't work. Took it back again and they got it reset, until my problems above. I guess I'm taking it back to Nissan where they will probably tell me that several sensors are bad or the batteries are dead or something stupid then charge me $2000!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
well i worked at big 10 and we busted tpms all the time. we would half *** put it back on and hope the customer didn't notice (why i left) but also my tpms went off because the battery was dead. at the nissan dealer here i have a friend(happens to be shop manager) and he hooked up truck and told me it was the battery. i replaced it and that was that

·
Premium Member
15,662 Posts
@Beason - that would very cool! I love Texas, my company is moving it operations to Dallas from Pleasanton, CA, and my brother lives in Austin, surprised about "no wave" just about everyone I've met seemed really friendly. Regarding the picture of your Titan on the beach, was that taken in Galveston?
I take mine to the Outerbanks of NC. I love driving on the beach.
that pic was from crystal beach, across the ferry from galveston.

to bad your not moving to houston, you could join the crew. guess you will have to join the DFW guys.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@PAPARYNO, That just isn't right, if the shop broke it they should be up front and provide better training! @Beason, I'm not physically moving to DWF, just my company, I'm a field service engineer and work out of my house outside Philly. I'm going to have to get some good pic's of my Titan on the beach this summer.

Regarding TPMS, Firestone plugs the $5000 (so they say) diagnostic tool into the ODBII (sp?) interface then run the setup. Another tech runs around to each tire with another hand held tool (probably some sort of modulator to simulate the tire spinning) sets the pressure according to the computer instruction i.e. 25 PSI then the other tech hit's OK or whatever on the tool for each tire. Not sure if these are set points or calibration of SPAN and ZERO of the pressure sensor. Anyway it worked for about 10 miles then the light came on again. Went back a week later and they told me to take it to Nissan. I somehow picked up a sheet metal screw along the way and they repaired free of charge. ....On another note, they screwed up all the hidden presets like the horn sounding when locking with the remote, etc when they killed the battery doing the the TPMS reset. Consequently, my battery has been week after it has sat a while, so asked them to change it and go through all the settings. (Stock Battery is only 4 years old) .......................... so next, I left and got down the road a couple of miles and decided to open the sun roof and it wouldn't open! It just moved a preset distance then stopped! Took it back and the manager looked up how to calibrate it and failed the first time. He told me that he would research the issue and call me. Drove home and thought I heard wind coming through the sun roof and called Firestone and had them talk me through the procedure and it worked. How many other hidden "Features" do these trucks have? Computers...Love them when they work, hate them when they don't! Work with them all day long.

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
I have three sets of wheels/tires/sensors for my Titan. I reset my TPMS myself and I've never had a problem doing so. The pressure in my tires has gone below 25 and inflating it back to 35 and then driving half a block cleared up the warning light. Sensor do go bad and sometimes they just wig out. I thought one of mine had failed as the pressure was correct and it wasn't sending a signal to the computer. I reset all four sensors and the non-working one came back to life and has worked fine for the past year.

Firestone and their $5,000 diagnostic tool can kiss my a$$. My setup cost maybe $120 and paid for itself in the first two years. Here is a thread over at CT on how to reset the TPMS yourself: How To: TPMS Relearn - Nissan Titan Forum: Club Titan Forums

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked over that and even printed it out and handed it to my regular mechanic. We're stuck at step one because we can't find the connector that is supposed to be next the the OBD II interface.

·
Premium Member
58,289 Posts
I have three sets of wheels/tires/sensors for my Titan. I reset my TPMS myself and I've never had a problem doing so. The pressure in my tires has gone below 25 and inflating it back to 35 and then driving half a block cleared up the warning light. Sensor do go bad and sometimes they just wig out. I thought one of mine had failed as the pressure was correct and it wasn't sending a signal to the computer. I reset all four sensors and the non-working one came back to life and has worked fine for the past year.

Firestone and their $5,000 diagnostic tool can kiss my a$$. My setup cost maybe $120 and paid for itself in the first two years. Here is a thread over at CT on how to reset the TPMS yourself: How To: TPMS Relearn - Nissan Titan Forum: Club Titan Forums
The TPMS activator tool is $140. Unless you are doing this a lot, it's cheaper to have someone else do it for you.

·
Registered
538 Posts
What does the computer do if you lose/remove all four TPMS'? If the lite stays on has anyone figured out how to disable the lite w/o taking the dash apart? Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,913 Posts
I air down to 12-15psi on all four every weekend and back up to 38 later in the same day, never had an issue

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
What does the computer do if you lose/remove all four TPMS'? If the lite stays on has anyone figured out how to disable the lite w/o taking the dash apart? Thanks
Nobody has found a way to disable the TPMS warning light. If you have the navigation system a warning will show up on that screen as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts