Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has experience with faulty TPMS systems.

I brought my truck back to the dealership I bought it from after the TPMS light came on when I left the lot. It's the fault light, blinks for a minute then stays on. They brought it to the Nissan dealership to have it diagnosed... They said the system just needed to be reset and it's good to go. After driving 25km's or so the light will come back on and show a fault again.

I've brought it back twice now and again they just reset it. They clearly aren't willing to put any money into diagnosing it.

My question is, is it possible to have a faulty wheel sensor even though it passes the reset and relearn process? Can the main unit in the truck be the culprit?

·
Super Moderator
161,482 Posts
If these are the original '07 TPMS units, yes it can and will happen. The batteries are dying and it'll take the reset but then promptly lose it.

·
Premium Member
20,944 Posts
My question is, is it possible to have a faulty wheel sensor even though it passes the reset and relearn process? Can the main unit in the truck be the culprit?
It's likely a sensor battery that has exceeded its usable life span. 7 to 10 years is what you can expect out of them.

I just replaced a set of OEM sensors. I originally purchased a set of Schrader sensors from Amazon but two of them flat out didn't work, one reported only 5 PSI in a tire that was obviously full and the remaining one worked OK. I returned those sensors and went with a set from Discount Tire which worked correctly the first time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll look around for some new sensors and steer clear of the Schraders. The system TPMS isn't all that useful to me but I have OCD when it comes to dash lights!

·
Premium Member
20,944 Posts
If you have multiple sets of wheels/tires with sensors in each set then look into the EZ Programmable sensors. They can be set to the same ID values. That means that when you swap between sets there is no need to reprogram. Just put them on and go. The onboard computer won't know the difference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks, I'll look around for some new sensors and steer clear of the Schraders. The system TPMS isn't all that useful to me but I have OCD when it comes to dash lights!
I just put a little sticky decal over my dash light....Doesn't seem worth the expense, as I am OC myself, I check my tire pressure manually anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone here know the procedure to have the TPMS relearn? I've put the proper amount of air in each tire and have driven the truck about 5 miles. The light still comes on. It's a 2006 Titan. Help!

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
20,944 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Relearn process^^ works. Last winter Feb. [2016], my tpms light came on, went to tire dealer and he reflashed or whatever, light went out[$25.00]. Light came back on 2-3 weeks later. Used the relearn and worked. My light came back on last month, real cold night before, and while I was driving, on I-95. For one reason or another, I think the cold has something to do with it. When warmer weather comes back, in a few months, I will try the relearn process again, it's a pain in the ***, but it worked. I have a 2007 T. Till then a piece of black tape. Also, our 2008 jeep cherokee light [tpms] came on around Thanksgiving, it went out, by itself, the same day the light came on the Titan,,,,???? All the time the air pressure been good. I am in the 7 year time span and also just trying to wait out till I need new tires on both vehicles, then purchase at rock auto or similar and get them put on then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts