Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My TPMS light came on Friday and of course my first thought was a nail in my tire so I get back to work and check my tires and nothing. Later I get home and check the tire pressure and all seems well. Then I do a search in the forum and find some info but I would like everybody's input. So here's my issue:

The light comes on at start-up and immediately starts blinking until finally turning solid; from what I found on the forum this is an indication of a malfunction with the TPMS, which I tend to agree with. However, I did install new 20" wheels & tires purchased from The Tire Rack w/sensors and have logged about 300 miles with no issues.

So is this a random TPMS issue like others have had? Does the system need to be calibrated for the new wheels & tires and if so is this done via the ECU? Sensor gone bad?

Thanks in advance,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
30 views & no comments?

I have 2 local Nissan dealers but both were booked 'till Wednesday and they only do minor things on Saturday's. Guess I'll have to live with it for a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
baseballfanz said:
Yes on the 06 and newer if the light flash at start up and stay lighted it's a TPMS system malfunction. Not sure what's causing it but it does need to be done via the Consult device.
Thanks for the input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
sounds like the sensors aren't all connecting, you probably have one or more sensors that got damaged by whoever re-installed them. I had that problem from the get-go when I bought my Titan, and the stealership fixed it at their cost. I once read that someone had one of their sensors dropped by a tire shop, installed, then malfuunctioned, and after the stealership found out it had been damaged, the tire shop refused to replace it. I just had my tires replaced and watched very closely to make sure the sensors were rebuilt with new valving and not dropped...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DRTYAZN said:
sounds like the sensors aren't all connecting, you probably have one or more sensors that got damaged by whoever re-installed them. I had that problem from the get-go when I bought my Titan, and the stealership fixed it at their cost. I once read that someone had one of their sensors dropped by a tire shop, installed, then malfuunctioned, and after the stealership found out it had been damaged, the tire shop refused to replace it. I just had my tires replaced and watched very closely to make sure the sensors were rebuilt with new valving and not dropped...
I purchased new wheels & tires from The Tire Rack & also pd for new sensors. Everything was fine for 300+ miles so it seems odd to be it would just go bad. Guess I'll find out when I get to the dealer, which will hopefully be Friday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
What was the initial PSI when it failed?

The change in weather (starting to get colder) will cause your PSI to drop. When starting up in the cold mornings you'll notice the PSI dropped 3+ PSI from when the tires were heated up and if you were originally close to the PSI lower threshold then the sensor will go off. Once the tires get heated up and the PSI reaches threshold or above the sensors warning will be reset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
famousyellowz said:
What was the initial PSI when it failed?

The change in weather (starting to get colder) will cause your PSI to drop. When starting up in the cold mornings you'll notice the PSI dropped 3+ PSI from when the tires were heated up and if you were originally close to the PSI lower threshold then the sensor will go off. Once the tires get heated up and the PSI reaches threshold or above the sensors warning will be reset.
It was around 1:00 in the afternoon & 85 degrees so that wasn't it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
If you got new sensors, I think they have to be re-linked to the TPMS. Maybe even if they were the old ones and moved to different positions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Curmudgeon said:
If you got new sensors, I think they have to be re-linked to the TPMS. Maybe even if they were the old ones and moved to different positions?
That's what I'm hoping...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Curmudgeon said:
If you got new sensors, I think they have to be re-linked to the TPMS. Maybe even if they were the old ones and moved to different positions?
I have the sensors on my 350z and they do not requrie any calibration when placed on a wheel other than the original. The sensors will still work just fine.

In my case I have a gauge that shows the actual PSI for each wheel.

If the LF wheel is moved to the RF and I read my gauge, I need to remember that the display is backwards, the LF reading is actually the RF and so on. Its much better to have then place the tires\wheels back on the original hubs so the display reads correctly.

You can have them re-calibrated if need be.

You can also remove them from the original rims and place them on your new rims. There are many write ups on how to do this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
famousyellowz said:
I have the sensors on my 350z and they do not requrie any calibration when placed on a wheel other than the original. The sensors will still work just fine.

In my case I have a gauge that shows the actual PSI for each wheel.

If the LF wheel is moved to the RF and I read my gauge, I need to remember that the display is backwards, the LF reading is actually the RF and so on. Its much better to have then place the tires\wheels back on the original hubs so the display reads correctly.

You can have them re-calibrated if need be.

You can also remove them from the original rims and place them on your new rims. There are many write ups on how to do this.
The reason the 350Z indicates the actual position of the tire is because they are not supposed to be rotated.The tires are directional and the rear wheels are larger than the fronts.There is a dowel pin on the front hub to prevent the rear wheels from being mounted up front by someone not aware of this.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top