Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about putting traction bars on my Titan (Which now has a 6" pro comp lift), But I am worried about my Breakover angle being decreased.

I also have some heavey duty HellWig traction springs I was thinking about installing. If I do not go with the Bars. I am wondering what I should do.

I wonder if Greg at PRG would make me some shorter traction bars.

Your thoughts?

~Chris

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I have the heavy duty Hellwig traction springs, and they eliminated all the axle wrap I had. I'm very satisfied with their performance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sudden urge said:
I have the heavy duty Hellwig traction springs, and they eliminated all the axle wrap I had. I'm very satisfied with their performance.
Did you have to modifi them at all to put them on?
Mine seem to be almost an inch too long.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
ckarling said:
Did you have to modifi them at all to put them on?
Mine seem to be almost an inch too long.
No, not at all. I heard that before from another member, but they fit just fine on my 05. A couple pics below on my install:

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sudden urge said:
No, not at all. I heard that before from another member, but they fit just fine on my 05. A couple pics below on my install:
Yea, I have a 4 inch block back there though. So I think that moves it FWD.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The guy that just put my True Trac in specializes in custom suspensions for Jeeps and rock crawlers and said that the only way to really eliminate axle wrap is to fab custom traction bars with brackets welded to the axle housing and frame. He builds some nice stuff www.kaiserskustoms.com.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Check out either the street or offroad versions of Greg's, (a.k.a. PRG, and PrerunnerGreg), traction bars. They are about 2/3 down the page the link leads to: http://www.prgproducts.com/titan_rear.php

Click the "Contact" tab to get information on how to get in touch with Greg for questions, and Jen to order.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gregs single tube traction bars work just as good as the dual tube versions, and have more clearance for off-roading. He himself actually talked me out of the dual tube version for that very reason.

His thoughts were basically if you do something bad enough to destroy the single tube version...the dual tube version would be just as hosed.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the double tube looks like ****. Its Gaudy. Serves no purpose. Hinders you off road.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
ckarling said:
I think the double tube looks like ****. Its Gaudy. Serves no purpose. Hinders you off road.
There are a lot of people that feel the exact same way about a bracket lifted Titan. :upsidedow

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NorCal 4x4 said:
There are a lot of people that feel the exact same way about a bracket lifted Titan. :upsidedow
There are alot of ****in idiots out there too. Looks like we found one.

What would you prefer, a body lift?
I agree bracket lifting is not the very best way to lift, unless you want to preserve your stock ride charachteristics like I did, but it is the best option unless you have over 7,500 to spend on a proper long arm kit. :futwice:

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
ckarling said:
There are alot of ****in idiots out there too. Looks like we found one.

What would you prefer, a body lift?
I agree bracket lifting is not the very best way to lift, unless you want to preserve your stock ride charachteristics like I did, but it is the best option unless you have over 7,500 to spend on a proper long arm kit. :futwice:
Sounds like you can dish it out but can't take it. Lol. I was only laughing at the irony of you saying
"I think the double tube looks like ****. Its Gaudy. Serves no purpose. Hinders you off road."
Common sense should tell you that a big lift on a truck will not be the best off road performance option ... based on a higher center of gravity, and the prerequisite 35" minimum tire diameter required to not look awkward. Most knowledgeable off roaders realize that mall-lifted trucks looks "Gaudy" and hinder your off road potential.

I think your drop bracket will affect ground clearance more than Greg's dual tube traction bars as well.

If you want a decent off road Titan get a PRG 4" Performance Package. If you want a better one, get a 2wd, and a PRG Spindle lift combined with the SAW, mid-length coilovers, (valving spec'd by Greg), and PRG upper A-arms. Around $2000 for a 4x4, and probably around $2500, give or take a hundred or two, for the 2wd spindle plus performance setup.

·
Registered
230 Posts
ckarling said:
Yea, I have a 4 inch block back there though. So I think that moves it FWD.
I have the 4" block on there as well ( 7" CST Lift ) and the Heavy duty Hellwig traction springs were a tight fit, but they went on. I STILL had a bit of axle wrap even after installing them ( It was a LOT better...but still some there ) so I went with the PRG traction bars and left the HW's on...no more wrap.

I personally didnt like the way the double bars hung down in front...to me the single tubes looked much better...its all up to who has the key to the truck :)

P.S. If you look at the pic I posted in this thread....you can just see the red of the HW springs

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Bear with me, I'm not very knowledgeable on traction bars or springs...

But are these items for lifted trucks only or can they be used on stock height trucks?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts