Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the modding to my Titan comes to an end, I'm considering one last upgrade... traction bars. I was checking out the 2011 Dodge Ram's and they come from the factory with a rear sway bar and traction bars, so they may be worth it. I've got the rear sway bar and I know axle wrap is somewhat of an issue with the Titan, but do the bars make that much of a difference?

I found this video on Youtube illustrating their benefits. Kinda made me go hmmmm....

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
great video and soo glad they did that on a lifted truck. I dont have any and frankly I dont think I would add any reason being is that it adds more weight. I locked the hellwig into place with tension on the adjustment bolts so I really dont have any issues other than some tire chatter from the smaller tires I'm running these days.

Now that I think about it I think you should make a video SOLEy because the under sideof your truck is likely factory fresh and woudl soo much better.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I immediately felt the difference just pulling out from the shop, and highly recommend them. It just depends on what else you have, and why you think you need them. I do feel it was an excellent item for me, as I am aiming at road handling ability. I truly enjoy how my Titan handles on the road. I plan to upgrade my PRG this weekend, by adding tube bracing to the bars. I'll weld them on myself.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great video and soo glad they did that on a lifted truck. I dont have any and frankly I dont think I would add any reason being is that it adds more weight. I locked the hellwig into place with tension on the adjustment bolts so I really dont have any issues other than some tire chatter from the smaller tires I'm running these days.

Now that I think about it I think you should make a video SOLEy because the under sideof your truck is likely factory fresh and woudl soo much better.
Too funny Randy!!! LOL I may make a video just for you! I'll get Brain to be the camera man...

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I immediately felt the difference just pulling out from the shop, and highly recommend them. It just depends on what else you have, and why you think you need them. I do feel it was an excellent item for me, as I am aiming at road handling ability. I truly enjoy how my Titan handles on the road. I plan to upgrade my PRG this weekend, by adding tube bracing to the bars. I'll weld them on myself.
Thanks John for the feedback! Please post some photos when you're done.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that video was very surprising the axle can move that much. I'm sure it's quite a bit less on the Titan due to less TQ but still concerns me.

I reviewed Blackbeauty's thread on his PRG Traction Bars and got some good tips on welding points and installation.

I plan to upgrade my PRG this weekend, by adding tube bracing to the bars. I'll weld them on myself.
So TB, you plan on adding tubing to mimic the "offroad version", right?

·
Registered
909 Posts
One of my favorite mods to date. You hit the gas n the rear end just squats and goes... Very solid feel.

Just make sure you lube the rear urethane mount. I didnt n had to undo the rear to lube them.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of my favorite mods to date. You hit the gas n the rear end just squats and goes... Very solid feel.

Just make sure you lube the rear urethane mount. I didnt n had to undo the rear to lube them.
Thanks Krh! Any drawbacks, noise, etc?

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I have a slight pinion seal leak that i think is was caused by axle wrap, even though i have the cheapo bars.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Yeah that video was very surprising the axle can move that much. I'm sure it's quite a bit less on the Titan due to less TQ but still concerns me.

I reviewed Blackbeauty's thread on his PRG Traction Bars and got some good tips on welding points and installation.

So TB, you plan on adding tubing to mimic the "offroad version", right?
Most likely I will use 1/4" x 2" Flat Bar. Easier/Faster to weld to center of existing tube. I wonder what gauge the PRG bar is. I did not have enough time at the shop today to do them. But in a few days I will. I noticed paint flaking several places on the Bars today, and will sand them down completely when I do this. I'll post nice pics of before and after.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks Krh! Any drawbacks, noise, etc?

Nope, i give the heim joints a dose of silicon spray once a year for good measure. No noise. Greg told me i got the 2nd set ever made. I even drove my wifes 05 super charged Frontier to his shop in 06 n he did a custom install n used her truck for the Frontier fab. Good stuff im tellin ya!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope, i give the heim joints a dose of silicon spray once a year for good measure. No noise. Greg told me i got the 2nd set ever made. I even drove my wifes 05 super charged Frontier to his shop in 06 n he did a custom install n used her truck for the Frontier fab. Good stuff im tellin ya!
I forgot you posted info about the bars on the Frontier forum and after getting yours installed. Your posts are always extremely helpful, organized and detail oriented! Thanks again Krh!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a slight pinion seal leak that i think is was caused by axle wrap, even though i have the cheapo bars.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Chris, How long has it been leaking? How may miles? The angle of the drive shaft slightly changed once we installed the drop shackles so that may have contributed. However, I think it's just a wear item... I hope. lol

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
It's been like this for a while... I've been periodically checking it & it hasn't gotten any worse over several months. Just thought i'd get some input from you guy's & see what you think.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Just make sure you lube the rear
Thats what she said....sorry I couldn't resist

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

Reactions: El Mamito USMC

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd say yes although I don't have them installed them on my rig yet. I have a 2010 with 13,000 hard miles on her(rear tires practically bald). Last week I had a 6" Procomp lift installed and my rear-end feels very soft. Where I used to get some wheel spin or tail slide is now just mediocre acceleration. The 4" block has made my rear end mushy. Have fun with the sexual innuendoes.

·
Registered
469 Posts
One of the best investments I have made. If you have ever had to replace your transmission mount than you probably bought traction bars that same day haha.

Reactions: gary748 and Juday

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
:thumbsup: Torsion bars.... PRG... accept no substitute... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:thumbsup: Torsion bars.... PRG... accept no substitute... :thumbsup:
I considered going with the NFab ones but prefer the shorter "street" version PRG offers. I already have his endlinks and shackles, so I'm familiar with the quality products PRG and Greg produce...

BB, I know you've got a lift and upgraded shocks. Do you also have a rear sway bar? I'm wondering if there's any issues with having a rear sway bar and the traction bars? Hopefully TB will chime in as I think he's got a Stillen bar like me...

1 - 20 of 165 Posts