Nissan Titan Forum banner

Do you turn off Traction Control every time you get behind the wheel (weather permitting)?

• I ate paste in kindergarten, and like clicking stuff.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that driving a truck is a much different animal than driving a sports car/muscle car, but I used to not really care about turning off my traction control in my SS as I never felt that the traction control was too inhibitive in spirited driving. But I was recently going through some Youtube vids and one caught my eye. The guy was doing 1/4 mile runs with an SS and an Audi (AWD). The guy in the SS was door to door in one run, and in the 2nd run, with traction control off, he was a good 2 car lengths ahead. I figured I'd start doing more driving with TC off, and wish I had driven with it off sooner as the car feels a little more brisk.

Automotive lighting Gas Tints and shades Magenta Darkness

That being said, I'm kind of curious if anyone turns off TC in the Titan. Given that I have spun the tires a bit with TC on, I can't help wonder what the drive will be like with it turned off. I also wonder if the Titan has the "nannies" still on even with TC turned "completely off". IIRC, when I turned off TC, the front and rear collision lights came on so I toggled it back on. I may turn it off one of these days just to see if she seems more brisk.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
lol, I sorta figured TC wasn't as important to the truck peeps. I actually find it interesting that I can still spin the tires when it's on. I hit a small patch of water this morning and spun pretty good (vehicle didn't drift) but thought TC would've intervened. Oh well, I'll drive a little with it off just out of my own curiosity.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Traction off every time, other than rain soaked roads.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Traction off every time, other than rain soaked roads.
Do the collision lights come on for you as well? I'm trying to understand what Nissan's rational was for disabling the front and rear collision when disabling TC. Drove with the TC off yesterday and it feels like there's a little more power under normal acceleration.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
4,318 Posts
I will try it in a bit. I haven't tried turning it off yet because the truck does spin the tires with ease with it on

·
Registered
481 Posts
Do the collision lights come on for you as well? I'm trying to understand what Nissan's rational was for disabling the front and rear collision when disabling TC. Drove with the TC off yesterday and it feels like there's a little more power under normal acceleration.
Yeah they do but I don’t mind it, I’m kinda hesitant of the auto braking stuff anyways, I remember the first few weeks of driving the truck and I had all that stuff on, I was trying to back into a parking spot and the brakes slammed on for no reason, I don’t know if the sensors thought the curb was a person or what, but ever since then my biggest fear is that the brakes will randomly slam on when I’m casually driving for no reason, all it takes is a little bit of rain or frost in the mornings hitting the sensors and sometimes I get a malfunction warning about my front collision or whatever.

Technically Nissan calls traction control “vehicle dynamic control” which ties all that stuff together, I guess it’s their way of saying if you want traction off we’re not protecting you from collisions lol 🤷‍♂️ I definitely notice the difference because it’s not hesitating waiting on the wheels to spin to cut power. When it’s raining I leave it on though because it gets annoying spinning tires on a light tap of the pedal at every green light. Not saying I don’t enjoy the 413 ft lb of torque lol just not in the rain.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
4,318 Posts
I turned off traction control and that was the only thing it turned off. No other lights came on

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just push the button and turn it off unless its raining.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I have owned my 2018 Pro4x for 3 years now. I haven't touched that button once since I've owned the truck.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I voted for #2, but really I do turn it off often in low (city) speed driving in heavy snow (we get lots of that around here). If you grew up driving RWD in snow storms you know that you need a little slip to slalom around slippery corners and to power up the hills.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I turned off traction control and that was the only thing it turned off. No other lights came on
I think the other lights are part of the "nanny lights" for front and rear collision avoidance. Kind of weird as traction control shouldn't be tied to those systems, as you'd assume the module sensing the wheel spinning and the cameras trying to avoid an impact would be different. Who knows though. These are the lights that light up on my IC, the left gauge light is pretty much like the one under the right needle, but for the rear collision warning.

Speedometer Vehicle Car Odometer Motor vehicle

I voted for #2, but really I do turn it off often in low (city) speed driving in heavy snow (we get lots of that around here). If you grew up driving RWD in snow storms you know that you need a little slip to slalom around slippery corners and to power up the hills.
I changed my vote to "off". I feel a tad bit more linear power delivery, but I still get similar wheelspin. I haven't gone WOT from a stop, as I figure the rear end would really get squirrely, but I do feel a tad bit more acceleration, although it may just be in my head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts