Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked my payoff on my Frontier. Less than 13k. Kelly Blue Book says a Frontier with my options, low miles (14k), and in excellent condition (which describes mine), should get between 19k and 22k trade in allowance. I know there is no way that I will get that from a dealer, but maybe 17 or 18k? At least my truck is not technically upside down anymore (I put down 6k when I bought it so I would not be upside down so long, and payments would be low). If I could get 4k for trade $ and add the 6k cash I have saved, I would roughly get about 10k to put on a Titan CC SE 4x4. That would be payments in the mid to high 400's I think.

Do you guys think that is possible. I don't want the hassle of private sale. I would return the Frontier stock and sell off all my removeable mods, stainless steel dual exhaust, aftermarket rims and tires, Nissan folding truck box, Waag bumper guard etc......

I have bounced this idea around with a few people, some say do it now, others say wait till you save more cash and you pay more on the Fronty to get a better trade in. I would really like to get a Titan but don't wanna rush into things. My Fronty will only be 2 years old in May 2004. I bought it in May 2002. I really like it, but am confused. Am I just being impulsive to even think about this?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
FLfinfan said:
I just checked my payoff on my Frontier. Less than 13k. Kelly Blue Book says a Frontier with my options, low miles (14k), and in excellent condition (which describes mine), should get between 19k and 22k trade in allowance. I know there is no way that I will get that from a dealer, but maybe 17 or 18k? At least my truck is not technically upside down anymore (I put down 6k when I bought it so I would not be upside down so long, and payments would be low). If I could get 4k for trade $ and add the 6k cash I have saved, I would roughly get about 10k to put on a Titan CC SE 4x4. That would be payments in the mid to high 400's I think.

Do you guys think that is possible. I don't want the hassle of private sale. I would return the Frontier stock and sell off all my removeable mods, stainless steel dual exhaust, aftermarket rims and tires, Nissan folding truck box, Waag bumper guard etc......

I have bounced this idea around with a few people, some say do it now, others say wait till you save more cash and you pay more on the Fronty to get a better trade in. I would really like to get a Titan but don't wanna rush into things. My Fronty will only be 2 years old in May 2004. I bought it in May 2002. I really like it, but am confused. Am I just being impulsive to even think about this?
i would do it i put 10,000 down and my payment is in the 400s on 5 years term. i would return it to stock and try to sell all the parts off your frontier. the titans are nice if a dealer wants to sell you a truck they will work with you. i dont think your wrong you only live once might as well get what you want your paying for it right??? :upsidedow

·
Registered
473 Posts
Impulsive, YES.

Do you love the truck YES.

No one can answer that for you. The only thing is that if you are saving the money and making the payments, all you are doing is making payments on a truck you are not driving.

Does the amount you are paying and saving match the expected payment?
If so then why mess around. You are prob still depreciating faster then you are paying principal. Remember if you have a 5 year note, you are still paying more interest than principal.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Doghouse, I like your way of thinking

While your kicking it around you may want to consider.
Depending on what the interest rate was when you made your purchase & the current downtrend you may want to call whoever it is you bank with for current rates this may be a negligible difference but in my case it was noticeable benefit. Also, have you checked how your insurance rate will be effected? Here again it was a savings for me. For me the cost of new purchase came out to about the same & no worries of warrantee run out for some time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Speaking from experience, I traded my 02 CC/LB/SE Fronty 15500 miles on KC/SE/Offrd/Tow pkg 3 weeks ago. As with you I figured out what the dealer should give me in relation to what I owe, how much I was going to put down out of pocket and what my estimated monthly would be. Unfortunetely I didn't get as close as I would have liked. The new Fronty's have a $4500 manufactures rebate on them which didn't help with my equity. End result they ended up giving me $2000 over payoff, selling the Titan at $900 over cost and I put a couple grand down, payments less than $400. Definetely remove any after market accessories to sell later, as you know the dealer gives you nothing for. Your rims have the same bolt pattern 6X5.5, however if they are 16" they won't clear your front brake calipers by my estimate. By the way, my monthly payments on the Titan are $100 more than the Fronty, yet this is twice the truck. No regrets, good luck--Titan on!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone with the local Nissan dealership. One of the top 3 guys there has a son that used to play O-line and D-line for me (thank you fate). He said they would offer me 18k or alittle more for my Frontier. He is working a price for me on a Titan CC SE 4x4 with bench seats. I call him back in 30 min. The wheels are turning baby. Big wheels!

·
Registered
740 Posts
nice fronty.

FLfinfan said:
Just got off the phone with the local Nissan dealership. One of the top 3 guys there has a son that used to play O-line and D-line for me (thank you fate). He said they would offer me 18k or alittle more for my Frontier. He is working a price for me on a Titan CC SE 4x4 with bench seats. I call him back in 30 min. The wheels are turning baby. Big wheels!
I really like the picture of your Fronty - I miss mine! Did you get the Titan?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, he is still looking. The one he found was Silver, CC, SE, 4x4, Popular package, Big Tow, Utilitrack. $30,300 (is that good?).
I want silver or smoke, CC, SE, bench seat, utilitrac, and all the rest is debateable. Don't need big tow. Don't want captains chair. He said he would look around and to call him in a couple days. Got the OK from the better half, she wants me to get one.

Thanks for the compliment on the Fronty. I will really miss her. I have done alot to her.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
What Dealer are you working with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Possibly the reason their offering 18k on your Fronty is there upin the cost of the Titan. Everything on the truck your looking at and off road pkg, I got for less than 29k. Dealers know how make money move around to look in your best interest-. So good luck!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heres what they want for my slightly changed list:
2004 Titan SE CC 4x4: (base MSRP = 29,800)
Smoke
4x4 ($3100)
RF system with bench seat ($1400)
Utilitrac system ($900)
floor mats (can not refuse them they say)
31,200 + tax, tag, dealer fee ($499.50)

my truck 18k for trade in (owe 12,700)

this looks like all MSRP by the way.

·
Registered
740 Posts
trade-in value

FLfinfan said:
Heres what they want for my slightly changed list:
2004 Titan SE CC 4x4: (base MSRP = 29,800)
Smoke
4x4 ($3100)
RF system with bench seat ($1400)
Utilitrac system ($900)
floor mats (can not refuse them they say)
31,200 + tax, tag, dealer fee ($499.50)

my truck 18k for trade in (owe 12,700)

this looks like all MSRP by the way.

I don't think your pay-out value really has anything to do with your deal. If they are charging you MSRP for the Titan, are they giving you a premium on your trade-in? If they are, thatn whatever that premium is, is the discount from MSRP.

eg. book trade-in value for your Fronty is - say - $16,500 and they are giving you $18,000 then you are getting about $1,500 off MSRP. Which is a good deal in many places.

The only problem is it is very hard to determine what the real trade-in value is. If your vehicle is if excellent condition, it can command much higher than the book says. In Canada, I would go to a couple of used dealers and wholesalers and get an idea what they would buy my vehicle for. I also research the asking prices of similiar vehicles around my area. I then discount this to give the dealer a fair profit after negotiations to come up with a guesstimate on what my trade is really worth. If all the ways (dealers,wholesalers, and retail asking prices) of arriving at a figure are close, I take the mid-point and this is what I use.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
i had a frontier crew cab too and sold it and now i have the titan. i'm glad i got rid of the frontier, because the titan rocks. you will not miss the frontier once you get the Titan. :hi: say goodbye to the frontier and hello to the Titan. You'll ask yourself, why did i wait? then we will welcome you with open arms to our brother/sisterhood of Titans. just think of your frontier as a girlfriend and she :banasex0r cheated on you, and the girl of your dreams, the "Titan" wants to marry you. :kiss: voila!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Trade-in

Ok...here is a professional trade opinion.

Your truck...with Teen miles is worth ACTUAL CASH VALUE $17,000-18,000 ALL DAY LONG.

An example...I took in trade a 2002 SE Frontier Crew, long box, with 44K, perfect, with a roll top toneau....Black...like yours.
I put actual money...$17,300 in the truck (It was my Dad's) At the time I though that was a lot...but we sold the truck in 2 weeks for $19,995.

It would be tough to get over 20K retail, but there is no reason you shouldn't demand 17-18K in real money.

If you want to bring it to Wis. I will give $17K and sell any Titan in inventory for $500 over invoice.

Example:
SE Crew Cab 4X4: Rockford Fosgate, DVD, Off Road, Big Tow, Utility bed, floor mats, splash guards.
MSRP: 36210-3800= $ 32410- 17500 trade= 14910 difference.

Using your cash, and payoffs I come up with a amount financed around $23,000 @ 4.5% = $ 423 per month.

Step right up!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Sounds good, but I can't drive that far right now. By the way, my Fronty is a Gold Rush 4x4, but it's hard to tell sometimes when the light is just right (or wrong should I say). Wish you were in like........ Ga. or Tenn.

PS.. by the way all the aftermarket stuff is coming off except for the alarm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just a thought . . . have you tried CarMax to see what they'd do (they'll buy your vehicle without you buying one from them)?? Sounds like your Fronty is one that they could just put right on their lot for sale . . . might not hurt to check it out . . .

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I heard they low ball though, but then again, I have not tried myself, so good point.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Now 70boss has given you a dealers wholesale perspective so you can determine how low their ball really is. :jester:

Good Luck we're all pulling for ya

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to be part of the brotherhood. I wanna pull up next to a F150, look down on them, snear, then show them my tail gate. :haveredfl

1 - 20 of 20 Posts