Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok fellas I've been rambling around something in my head lately. I traded my nearly paid off 03 frontier on my current 09 Titan and to be honest I love everything about it. I decided to trade because a few times towing with my weak frontier made me want more power, I also wanted more rear passenger leg room for hauling around 4 full size adults. The Titan does all this well and in style but when I purchased the Titan gas was $2.50 a gallon. With gas not looking to come down I have started pondering on how much I actually use the truck to its potential and it's hardly ever.
I need a truck of some kind and I also need a 4x4 of some kind and the only other vehicle I own is my Z which is not bad on gas and I do drive it some but with nearly 200k on the clock I don't want it to be a solo daily driver. And I dont like making a payment on a truck just sitting in the drive way b/c I never drive it due to gas.
I like the full size CC T because it's like having a suv and a truck all in one. I thought of trading the T on a fuel saver and buying a small beater truck but that would put 5 vehicles on my insurance and that is kinda crazy.
I've been looking at vehicles that would get me through the winter months and support my snow boarding habit and looks like Subaru may be the ticket but then the truck issue comes back and so I have been looking at the Subaru bajas they made from 03-06 they got the same engine available as my co-workers super fun forester xt2.5 turbo 5 spd car I drove. Yes I know they are a little ugly but it will haul 4 adults is AWD and will allow me to throw trash, a push mower or small other things in the bed of it, and still get 25+mpg. Keeping in mind I don't have a travel trailer or anything that really warrants a truck this big would it be a dumb move? I just feel like a loser driving to work everyday in a gas guzzling crew cab truck solo with nothing in the bed.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
i say do what makes you happy, follow your gut. i have always had a truck and will always have one. i really dont care how much gas is. i think youll regret it. youll need it as soon as you trade it. always works that way.:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait...The Subaru with the truck bed?
Yes the baja has a small bed with a bed extender available and a rear seat fold down so u can lay long stuff from drivers seat to bed extender.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
I was feeling the same way about 6 months ago. But I just couldn't do it. I love this da*n truck too much :D

I use it like a truck, so it wouldve been missed... And ofive, yes the subie with a bed

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
What about an el camino?.....

:D
Probably not a practical solution since the last year for the El Camino was 1987. And, they weren't too fast with the stock wheezy LG4 305. However, if you could somehow import one of those Holden Ute's from Australia, that might be the ticket. Aren't they right-hand drive only though?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Realistically look at the true Total Cost of Ownership. You will never save money owning excess vehicles, no matter what mileage they get, and payments are a plan to lose even more. Vehicles are a tool, not an investment. They serve us, they don't pay us. Keep what you have as far as a P/U and the Z as a toy, to be sold if budget does not allow.

If gas was OK at 2.50, and it is 4.00 now, how much more is that per month? Although it is a real increase, it is unlikely you will add to your savings by trading or selling. It is about 25 bucks a week more for me, it simply means I need to drive the family past McDonald's on Sunday morning, and enjoy the room, safety and comfort of our Titan. They get mighty upset when I want to take my wife's car, just to save gas. They all love the Titan!

I have one payment left, and hope to never buy another "new" vehicle. I will seek lightly used, and hope to pay cash, no debt. Do not let emotional attachment "control" how much you put into your rides, but do enjoy them however you like. :)

Reactions: VinylImagez

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Not to sound like a ****, but I am tired of reading these threads about people debating whether or not to get rid of their T. You will make the decision regardless of what anyone says here so just do what you want.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your tired of reading it... Don't click the link " trade the Titan or not?" lol?
Thanks to all that have gave input

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
If you thought towing with the Frontier was weak can you even tow with a Baja?

I've shown people this comparison before but here it is again.

Lets say your Frontier was worth $5k and the Titan was $33k. You owed $28k, lets say 5%@60 months, $528 per month payment. In one year you've paid about $6300, and you've paid off $5k. So you owe $23k and KBB puts your truck at $22k or so. Now you've spent another grand in mods. So you've spent $13k in one year (5k for Fronty+6k on Titan + 1k underwater+1k on mods). If you kept paying on your truck you'd pay another $25k on it.

A Baja with about 50k miles sells for about $17k. Let's say you got a 4 year loan, same terms. $391.50 per month payment.

After 4 years you would have spent $38k on the Titan. After 4 years you would have spent $31800 on the Subaru, and saved $8000 in gas so you would have spent $23800 on the Subaru overall compared to the Titan. After that time let's assume the Titan's worth $14500 and the Subaru's worth $11100 (10% depreciation). Your cost to own the Titan over that time is $23500, the Subaru is 12700 compared to each other. If you only drive 10k miles per year, then add another $4k to the cost of the Subaru, which then makes it $23500 - 16700 comparatively.

So if you drive a whole lot of miles it can make financial sense. If you drive not many miles, then it makes a whole lot less sense. That also makes a lot of assumptions - that you're not severely upside down on the Titan, that you can find a similarly miled Baja as your Titan, etc.

For *most* people it makes little to no financial sense to trade down, unless you're going from a car payment to a $2000 beater. Many times you end up spending a lot more money than if you stayed in the vehicle you have. If you drive a whole lot of miles, often the most sensible thing is to buy a $2000 beater, use it to kill on the miles, and keep the other vehicle off the miles as best as you can.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks jd Ive been trying to look at it alot of ways. Ive put 20k miles on the T in one year that's why I have thought more about this. I also bought the T used so I am not as upside down as one could be.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Thanks jd Ive been trying to look at it alot of ways. Ive put 20k miles on the T in one year that's why I have thought more about this. I also bought the T used so I am not as upside down as one could be.
In your case then you'll probably make out better on a pure financial basis to make the move. As long as someone else has already eaten the biggest depreciation hit, then it's not much more than switching vehicles (other than the loss on your mods).

·
Registered
827 Posts
Personally, I think in most cases buying used is the way to go. Mainly because someone else then pays for the most depreciation. I just bought a two year old Civic Si for about 7K less than the sticker price was. Keep it two years or so and it will be paid off. At that point I can either keep it, or use it as a very nice down payment on a different car that I have been dreaming of buying for the past 11 years. At that point I will know what the responsible thing to do will be, but with a 10K trade plus whatever I can add to it for a down payment, I will be in position to get that car.

Anyway, I agree with jd. If you do not need the truck, you have easy access to one when you do need its use, and you are going to save a good deal of money in the long run by trading, then go for it. Just remember to be patient about the trade. It sounds like you are in a position where you do not have to trade, so wait and find the perfect car to trade into, or else you will be wanting to do this all over again in a year. At that point your not saving money at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts