Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting at the light tonight and some drunk guy runs into the back of my trailer hitch at a fairly low speed. The ball put a hole in his plastic front bumper and I didn't have any damage. Checked underneath and nothing seems bent or cracked. Had I not had the receiver in, he probably would of messed up my bumper.

The receiver also keeps people from parking to close to me in lots

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sitting at the light tonight and some drunk guy runs into the back of my trailer hitch at a fairly low speed. The ball put a hole in his plastic front bumper and I didn't have any damage. Checked underneath and nothing seems bent or cracked. Had I not had the receiver in, he probably would of messed up my bumper.

The receiver also keeps people from parking to close to me in lots
My wife was a insurance adjuster for several years and first thing she wanted to do was put a trailer hitch on our truck even though we don't have anything to tow. She always saw claims where there was a nice big hole in peoples bumper but never a scratch on the vehicle with the hitch when they got rear ended

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
My wife was a insurance adjuster for several years and first thing she wanted to do was put a trailer hitch on our truck even though we don't have anything to tow. She always saw claims where there was a nice big hole in peoples bumper but never a scratch on the vehicle with the hitch when they got rear ended
That is true and I have been the hot more than once with no damage to me. BUT I have seen trucks hit at 15mph where the frame bent down and not the bumper. Just a thought.

BTW my 3way ball mount stays in the hitch.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I've always thought in the case of an accident involving someone with an unused hitch mounted there should be some sort of surcharge or penalty to that party, due to the increase in damage to the other vehicle. I've known a couple of people who've gotten some pretty serious damage in parking lots/garages solely from the hitch of some guy backing out and not paying attention. In a rear end accident (where the other party is admittedly usually at fault) that hitch can do a boatload of damage to the other vehicle. I mean think about it, if the manufacturers tried to sell some sort of vehicle with a permanently mounted ball and hitch protruding well past the bumper they'd get laughed out the building. Wouldn't happen.

Further, if I'm going to get rear-ended I'd rather have the bumper do it's job - absorbing energy from the impact - rather than something very rigid attached directly to the frame. I'll take a jacked up bumper and maybe a little sheet metal damage over a jacked up frame any day.

This is all just my $.02, so don't take it too seriously.:teethmast

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
That is true and I have been the hot more than once with no damage to me. BUT I have seen trucks hit at 15mph where the frame bent down and not the bumper. Just a thought.

BTW my 3way ball mount stays in the hitch.
Yea those 3 balls are beasts, I used to have my dads on my truck and people definitely keep more distance if you have that on lol. But the problem can be that it will bend the frame instantly in a collision.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
In NYS, it is illegal to have the ball-hitch in the receiver if you aren't towing.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
I would partially agree with ten~39 about leaving it in there for the sole purpose of causing more damage as well as having bumpers for a reason. But on the flip side... I live in a college town. Most people in this town don't understand the concept of distance or safe driving for that matter. Even outside of the college town you get tailgated all the time while doing 5 over in a giant line of traffic. Awareness has gone out the window since the introduction of car phones and has continued on a downhill slope ever since. i understand that if hit the bumper is meant to absorb the impact and such, but our rear bumpers only have a solid chunk of steel behind it that is bolted directly to the frame anyway. I might as well leave the ball locked in the receiver. If anything the college kids parents around here will be a bit more upset when they have to replace a front bumper as well as a radiator since their kid felt like tailgating. It might be wrong to think that way, but I work hard for my truck, it's not cheap in any means, and you have to do what's needed for your own piece of mind anymore. As stated above, it's just my two cents worth. On a positive, hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts