Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a leftover 2005 KC XE with off-road package. I had the Dealership add the tow package. Well I just tow my trailer for the first time this weekend. When I left I made sure that my trailer lights were all functioning properly. About a half hour into my trip I noticed the lights were out. I Stopped at a truck stop and bought a light tester and I could not get any signal from the pin out. I tested the fuse in the fuse box under the hood and It was fine. I am wonduring if it could be one of the 2 tow relays, or if there are anyother fuses I should check.

--Thanks Dave

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd say that or a bad ground. Does your trailer use the ball as a ground? If so sand all the rust and or paint off of the receiver, and ball.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give that a try. I did use the tester on a good ground and still no signal from the plug.

--DaveSP

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
There is a TSB about replacing a BCM harness in connection with the electrical wiring for the tow hitch wiring connector. I'm not sure if it applies to 2005 or only 2004.

www.nissanhelp.com You can look up TSBs, etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Flashraider24

2007 Titan Join Date: Jan 2008

2007 Titan Trailer/Towing Lights Explained!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK,

I read about 4-5 hours of postings, downloaded the manual, took apart my dash and traced wires.....but here's the explanation of the Titan towing.

If you have purchased the Titan w/the towing package, you probably came equipped with the Nissan hitch and all the relays needed to basically 'hitch and go'. If you are like me and did not get the towing package (I thought I had it b/c I had the "tow" button on the dash...but that's not the case).

If you didn't get the tow package, you can buy an adapter to connect to the Nissan towing plug located under your back bumper area...tie wrapped to the frame. If you then hook up trailer lights, you will have running lights when you turn either your parking lights or headlights on.....but you won't have either left or right turn signal and obviously no brake lights as well since brake lights use the tail light bulbs.

Under the hood on the passenger side just behind the battery is a smaller compartment about 6 inches long and 4 inches wide notched on one end. This houses 3 empty connectors......two 4 pin relays which are your left and right turn signal and one 6 pin relay which is 12V power to your RV plug (if you are using one). (The 6 pin relay isn't necessary if towing a trailer, only if you are towing a camper or such requiring a 12V source to run lights, etc).

So if you want to pull a trailer, you will have running lights w/o the relays, but you will not have brake or turn signal unless you purchase the relays cheaper online or go to the dealer if you need them right away. Part Number for the turn signal relays is 25230-79945. They are around $5-10 more from the dealer from what I've seen.

Hope this helps!!!!

Flashraider24
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Flashraider24
Find all posts by Flashraider24
Add Flashraider24 to Your Contacts
Visit Flashraider24 photo album

2007 Titan Trailer/Towing Lights Explained!!! - Nissanhelp.com

#2 (permalink) Today, 12:01 PM
jsnbrd
2004 Titan Crew Cab Join Date: May 2009

titan Relay compartment

Existing manufacturer installed 7-way wiring

Spliced wire from rear lights

I took a picture of the relay compartment, the manufacturer 7-way wiring at the rear and a splice wire that was used from the tail lights for clarity, for me. I have one small 10 Amp fuse on the right and this relay. Do I need to fill the other two relay locations in order that the 7-way wiring will all work?
Should anyone know what the colored insulation signifies, i.e. aux, or brake, or left turn, etc... please post that info as well, thanks.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I took a picture of the relay compartment, the manufacturer 7-way wiring at the rear and a splice wire that was used from the tail lights for clarity, for me. I have one small 10 Amp fuse on the right and this relay. Do I need to fill the other two relay locations in order that the 7-way wiring will all work?
Yes you need one brown and one blue relay in those two positions. Buy it here from U_Haul instead of the dealer. U-Haul wants $20-$25 for a set of three (2 blue 1 brown), dealer will get double-triple that.

jsnbrd said:
Should anyone know what the colored insulation signifies, i.e. aux, or brake, or left turn, etc... please post that info as well, thanks.
My trailer connectors are all up inside the fender, so I can't just look or take a picture. I think this is correct for the truck wiring colors.

View attachment trailer_wiring.bmp

The colors for the wires for the connector you buy will vary by brand. For Hoppy (Hopkins Mfg.) take a look at this.

Of course it would help to test each wire as you connect it up to plug, a 12v test light is good for this.

Good luck.

Reactions: jsnbrd

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
To the OP:

You said you had all the lights at one time, then you must have all the relays. The relays very rarely go bad...
Turn/brake signals come from the BCM and a very popular TSB as already posted adds 2 "hidden" fuses in a BCM harness adapter.

These 2 extra fuses are pretty much unknown to Nissan techs & service writers, they are also NOT included on wiring diagrams...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes you need one brown and one blue relay in those two positions. Buy it here from U_Haul instead of the dealer. U-Haul wants $20-$25 for a set of three (2 blue 1 brown), dealer will get double-triple that.

My trailer connectors are all up inside the fender, so I can't just look or take a picture. I think this is correct for the truck wiring colors.

View attachment 79088

The colors for the wires for the connector you buy will vary by brand. For Hoppy (Hopkins Mfg.) take a look at this.

Of course it would help to test each wire as you connect it up to plug, a 12v test light is good for this.

Good luck.

question on the colored insulation. this is the diagram for the Nissan installed wires truck side?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
question on the colored insulation. this is the diagram for the Nissan installed wires truck side?
Yes these are the wire colors for the truck trailer harness (should match the ones you took a picture of, I can't see it well enough to tell). The colors on whatever plug you buy will be different.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Excellent, I will be picking up my relays today and might be able to get some electric to the trailer by this weekend. Thanks for your help again.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I am having this same problem with my running lights. Did the relays work? any help would be appriciated.
Same problem?.....You had lights, but now they're gone?....If you had lights, then it must not be a relay issue...

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The relays seem to go out alot
Are you saying the relays are "popping" like a fuse?
Very rare to blow a relay....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any one know were to get adapter from truck to 6 prong trailer? Bought one at the store and center prong is for backup lights and not for brakes. Any help anyone?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Any one know were to get adapter from truck to 6 prong trailer? Bought one at the store and center prong is for backup lights and not for brakes. Any help anyone?
Not sure what you are asking? Try HERE for wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Old school....Change the 6 pin on the trailer to a new style 7 pin...

·
Registered
1 Posts
To the OP:

Turn/brake signals come from the BCM and a very popular TSB as already posted adds 2 "hidden" fuses in a BCM harness adapter.

These 2 extra fuses are pretty much unknown to Nissan techs & service writers, they are also NOT included on wiring diagrams...

2005 Titan KC - wiring harness problems!!!

Okay, here is the thing.. I have a wiring harness problem.. A tree branch dislodged the trailer adapter (which is a 7-way and 4-way flat that has a 5-way spliced into the adapter) from the bumper of my 2005 Titan KC during a hurricane. However, the trailer adapter was still connected to the OEM plug on the truck. When I hooked up the boat trailer, none of the lights were working. U-Haul installed the hitch and trailer adaptors, so I took it to them. The tech checked the fuse, which was blown, and after replacing the fuse, only the right side lights were working. He replaced the relays, but still no lights on the left side. The tech could not find the problem after spending half a day working on it, so I went to another hitch installer, and they recommended I go to the dealership, because he suspects it could have something to do with the BCM.

I went to All About Nissan and cannot seem to find the TSB about the 2 hidden fuses in the BCM harness adapter... Any thoughts on locating this?

Also, I am taking the truck to the dealership tomorrow, but want to ask if the service techs know about the 2 hidden fuses in the BCM harness adaptor you speak of? Or should I mention this to them?

Thanks,
cvaldejo

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I went to All About Nissan and cannot seem to find the TSB about the 2 hidden fuses in the BCM harness adapter... Any thoughts on locating this?

Also, I am taking the truck to the dealership tomorrow, but want to ask if the service techs know about the 2 hidden fuses in the BCM harness adaptor you speak of? Or should I mention this to them?
The BCM runs the rt/lt brake and turn signals. The TSB added a small sub-harness right off the BCM, located right around the steering column above the brake pedal area. The sub-harness is usually white in color...

I'd look for this myself before paying someone at Nissan to be stumped because very few techs know anything about this...By all means, let the Nissan guys know that's there's a "hidden" harness off the BCM that contains 2 fuses...

Print this and bring it with you....

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Okay I am really going to have to look at this too!!

I just rented a trailer and the left trailer lights...brake and turn were not working...used a test light and checked all fuses and tried to trace the wiring but I will looking at this one tomorrow, because I couldn't find anything wrong but I wasn't getting a signal to the trailer!!!

If I find these fuses I will take pictures for you all!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts