Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 05 with factory tow package. Bought new lowboy trailer. Pluged in lights, Right & left blinkers and stop lights work fine. Turn on head lights and when Right blinker on Left one blinks two, when Left blinker on Right one blinks two, turn headlights off everythink works fine.

·
Super Moderator
161,858 Posts
Has it all ever worked on a different trailer? Using a converter from a 7 pin to a 4 pin? Information will help us help you.

Your headlights being on isn't what's causing it. With your headlights come the parking lights and therein lies your problem. There seems to be a short between two live wires, possibly on the trailer where it's crossing the feeds from the parking lights with the turn/brake lights. That's my first guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything works fine on my TT, TT has round plug. Using a round to 4way adapter for lowboy. Lights and blinkers on lowboy work fine on my explorer, 4way plugs straight into 4way plug on explorer.

·
Super Moderator
161,858 Posts
Try a different adapter.

Have you ever pulled a trailer with the Titan and had all the lights working?

·
Registered
720 Posts
The symptoms you ere describing sounds like bad ground to me.

Make sure that the "ground" connection is good. It could be lose on the trailer or it could be that the 4-way connector is not making a good connection on the adapter.

This happens at times when the connector and the adapter are two different brands or designs. Some of the 4-way plugs have an extra boot for water protection on them. This will keep the plug from pushing all the way on to the adapter. This most often affects the ground pin when this happens.

·
Super Moderator
161,858 Posts
If there were a ground issue, it would make more sense that the lights wouldn't work at all. No ground, no completed circuit, no lights.

Edit to add: Unless he's' got a ground from one of them bleeding over onto the power feed of the other.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I re-read the OP ...

I would check the trailer wiring from front to back. It may be that someone has tied the left and right "brake/signal" lights together the same as the tail lights are. If this is the case, the brakes light WOULD work just fine. But, regardless of the signal light origin (left or right) both signal lights would blink every time. Then again, they would work that way if the headlights were on or off.

It still think it could be the ground. The ground may have just enough contact to [*** power for one type of light at a time. But, when you have all the lights on, all the power to light them all comes through the one ground wire. It may not have enough contact for the extra current drain and is "back-feeding" through the other lights. This is somewhat common when the ground is bad.

·
Super Moderator
161,858 Posts
I'm still not going for a ground issue. Look at this diagram.

Losing a ground on any of those circuits simply prevents the circuit from being complete, and they all have their own power source. There's nowhere for them to back feed from a lost ground. The ground is common, being the trailer frame. One of the positives can feed power to another if it's crossed.

Question to the OP, are you sure you have the right kind of bulbs in the lights? Single bulb, I'm presuming. If so, it needs to have two points on the bottom for connection, not just one. Try new bulbs, even if you visually inspect them to be fine.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Looking at the diagram, I would agree with you ... However, from real-world experience, I still say check the ground. I am perfectly willing to admit I could be wrong. It could be something I have not thought of.

From things I have observed over many years of pulling trailers, I have had some interesting things happen with lights and grounding issues ... one of them is lights behaving like the OP mentioned.

What would be nice - If the OP would post back if he found the problem and what it was. We can speculate all we want, but until the OP comes back to let us know what was found - it is just that ... speculation.

·
Super Moderator
161,858 Posts
I'll agree about the OP. Just a post and ghost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been working off and on with these lights all weekend end. Went and got a round plug that I could wire the trailer lights into direct and did away with the adapter. Same issue as with the 4 way adapter. Have wire brushed all the grounds on the trailer to bare metal. Still no go. Light work perfect on another turck just not on Titan. Still working on them.

·
Super Moderator
161,858 Posts
If the trailer lights are working when it's hooked to another truck, that rules out the trailer as having the issue. Wouldn't you agree?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Have you tried another trailer on the Titan?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts