Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am having some issues w/ the tranny heating up. A PML and 9 qts of AMSOIL later, I am still hitting 220-225 when towing up the hills.

My next move may be the dealer. After that, another tranny cooler.

I was wondering if people are setting this up to bypass the radiator or in series with the existing coolers. What would offer the best cooling power?

Does anyone have a good schematic of how the current tranny coolers in the Titan are setup? I have an 2006 4x4 SE Crewcab.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Are you leaving it in "D" ?.......

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I wish that was the problem.
I am driving in 4th on the flats and shifting to 3rd on the hills at 3500rpms or so.
It is driving me nuts.

Any ideas on what to look for would be much appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On a related question, I see people adding a second tranny cooler.
Has anyone replaced the factory cooler with a better one? Is that better than adding a second cooler?

I am wondering if my factory tranny cooler is bad.
Most people here say that when you shift to 3rd, the tranny temp drops like a bomb. Mine doesn't. It stays or climbs a little.

Mike

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
what year is it? if its -07 the gauge can go up to the first white line and its still good... i suggest a better cooler before the dealership..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is an 06.
I have a BD GT on it. The temp went to 225 on my first towing trip after installing PML.
I live in Phx,Arizona. It is going to be hell towing that trailer up the hills in the middle of the summer if I don't solve this problem.
Any advise on a tranny cooler?

Mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thinking about this a bit more, if the coolant temp is 200 degrees and the tranny temp follows it closely, the tranny temp should come down a bit after it goes by its own cooler. This does not happen.
Tranny temp was 225 or so even with coolant temp at 200.

I have a feeling that the darn factory ATF cooler may be history. I wish there was a way to validate that.
Plan A for next week is probably to take this truck to a tranny shop and ask them to install a big *** cooler to bypass the factory one.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts