Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble finding out the exact amount of tranny fluid lost, when doing a drain and fill, (not a flush).

For those that have done it, how many quarts did you put back in?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I've done it around 5 times, and it has ranged from exactly 4 quarts to maybe as much as 1 cup more. I drive mine for a few miles beforehand and do a lot of manual shifting first, but IIRC, I've seen some have gotten out as much as 5 quarts. :confused:

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I always buy 5, but 6 should be good in case you get more out, and you should do a few drain and fills in order to get the percentage of new vs. old higher ... so any extra will get used anyway.
Here's my post showing the rough percentages per drain and fill.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/2156564-post14.html

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
When I change my oil, I buy the gallon jugs. I used one of those (plus an oil drain pan under it) to catch the fluid. The tranny fluid filled it up with no spill over. So mine was 4 qts. Drove it for about 50 miles and checked the fluid level and it was fine.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
WTF is the attraction of doing repeated drain and fills to mix clean atf with dirty atf versus just changing all of it via disconnection of the atf radiator cooler return line, per the service manual?

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
IDK, but there is a too many different opinions on the "best" way or "safest" way to change trans fluid. What is the "recommended" way to replace trans fluid?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
WTF is the attraction of doing repeated drain and fills to mix clean atf with dirty atf versus just changing all of it via disconnection of the atf radiator cooler return line, per the service manual?
Easier removing the drain plug than the skid plate and hose clamps. Also, it seems like there's more of a chance of spilling when dealing with 12 quarts plus the amount used for flushing ... switching drain pans. Also, pouring it in while it is pumping out, seemed like, something could end up pumping dry while switching pans. The other day, I just changed out the short hose section and clamps which was leaking, and it's messy work dealing with hoses.

When I did my 1st drain and fill at 100K miles or so, the fluid looked pretty good. If it looked bad I might have considered flushing it via the cooler hoses with the engine running. Also, Jatco, (our transmission's manufacturer), states that the fluid never needs changing, so to me, it wasn't worth dealing with hoses.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I got about 4.5 qts out of the pan last weekend. Draining the rest via the trans cooler return line was simple (a bit messy). I had the wifey sit in the truck and start and stop the engine every quart (i.e. drain a quart then add a quart). At 63k miles the trans fluid still looked pretty good...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flushing the tranny is a bad idea.

There's many reported problems after a flush. Most transmission places I've called won't do it because of that exact reason.

I'll buy 10 quarts. 6 to replace what was in there, and 4 for the PML pan. Better to have more than not enough. I'm having my TransGo installed in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Flushing the tranny is a bad idea.

There's many reported problems after a flush. Most transmission places I've called won't do it because of that exact reason.

I'll buy 10 quarts. 6 to replace what was in there, and 4 for the PML pan. Better to have more than not enough. I'm having my TransGo installed in about 2 weeks.
You are correct...which is why the service manual refers to draining via the trans cooler return line. Pressurized flushes are a no-no.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
It is "HOW" the flush is done that endangers the transmission. No problems have been reported by the method bestatchess is referring to. I've had mine done with the BG Machine at the dealer twice, at 30K and 60K without a problem. I think it is the direction of the flushing that matters. True though, that Nissan says do not flush, and true that Nissan has done mine twice. What to believe?! I plan on changing my pan to a PML and do the hose flush too. I need to read the instructions again, but it is really easy. I do have concern of running dry if the hose thing is done... maybe the instructions address this.

Here is what I found just now for draining and clean the pan, then flush the system. It takes 15 Qts, looks pretty thorough and easy too. Notice post #6 in the following thread addresses adding the fluid at the same time : http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...21-writeup-diy-transmission-fluid-change.html

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It is "HOW" the flush is done that endangers the transmission. No problems have been reported by the method bestatchess is referring to. I've had mine done with the BG Machine at the dealer twice, at 30K and 60K without a problem. I think it is the direction of the flushing that matters. True though, that Nissan says do not flush, and true that Nissan has done mine twice. What to believe?! I plan on changing my pan to a PML and do the hose flush too. I need to read the instructions again, but it is really easy. I do have concern of running dry if the hose thing is done... maybe the instructions address this.
I believe the instruction mention adding fluid as it is draining from the return line. I emptied one quart at a time assuming I couldnt run anything dry at that rate. I didnt encounter any issues using that method.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I believe the instruction mention adding fluid as it is draining from the return line. I emptied one quart at a time assuming I couldnt run anything dry at that rate. I didnt encounter any issues using that method.
I did the same thing on the wife's Highlander w/o any problem. I poured from quart bottles of Valvoline Maxlife and recovered in a 1 gallon transparent plastic container w/ quart interval markings. I might do it one gallon at a time when I do the Titan as I have Amsoil ATF that comes in 2.5 gallon jugs.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I did the same thing on the wife's Highlander w/o any problem. I poured from quart bottles of Valvoline Maxlife and recovered in a 1 gallon transparent plastic container w/ quart interval markings. I might do it one gallon at a time when I do the Titan as I have Amsoil ATF that comes in 2.5 gallon jugs.
I used Amsoil as well.

·
Premium Member
21,312 Posts
I used the AMSoil 2.5 gallon jug. Never, ever, ever will I do that again. I will buy it in quarts next time. Having to stop and pull exactly 1 quart out of a 2.5 gallon jug sucks. It's hard to keep track of your count. The 2.5 gallon jug is too unwieldy to keep it in place on top of a running engine while also watching the old fluid come out of the lines underneath the engine. Empty quart bottles are easy to count. The price difference is about $5 for 10 quarts versus 2.5 gallons.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had mine done with the BG Machine at the dealer twice, at 30K and 60K without a problem.
When did you have this done?

What's the hype to do a tranny flush? A drain and fill is sufficient enough. For those that have done a flush, what did you gain from it?

There's no need to do a tranny flush.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,312 Posts
What's the hype to do a tranny flush? A drain and fill is sufficient enough. For those that have done a flush, what did you gain from it?
The satisfaction of knowing that I replaced all (ok, 95%) of the old oil.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I'm not sure that everybody means the same thing when they are talking about "flush".

The manual references draining from the cooler return line while filling as the proper way to "change" or "replace" the ATF, and is therefore not the forbidden "flush" referenced in the TSB.

I think the TSB references the use of "flush machines" such as BG. The term "power flush" is also often used, although from what I read on the net, the BG machine and some other available machines are not powered, but rather use the pump in the vehicle's transmission to circulate the fluid. Apparently in at least one type of flush machine, the old fluid pushes against a diaphragm as it collects in a tank in the machine and the diaphragm forces a corresponding amount of new ATF from another tank back to the tranny. Thus, it seems to me that the pressure in the lines would not be higher than normal. Also, it would seem that the fluid would move in the normal direction. I think BG does specify a cleaner.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts