Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took a turkey baster downstairs and proceded to drain out my overflow. In hopes that I just added too much coolant and that's the reason why I'm having coolant drip all over the place.

I didn't check the tranny fluid however I'm pretty sure it'll have green in it.

So it looks like I'll be getting a new radiator and installing it later this week or next..I'll keep updates!

Good thing I have the Bronco lol :ftard:

Left/Top is coolant I pulled out of the overflow tank. Right/Bottom is pure coolant from the jug unused.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Stillen available at end of month. Less than 400 IIRC. :)

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stillen available at end of month. Less than 400 IIRC. :)
I'm just installing another OEM ($137 with free shipping). This truck will be gone anywhere from may-september and replaced with an 08-09 Armada (or something else)

·
Premium Member
21,152 Posts
I dunno Adam, your radiator fluid may be normal color for an '04.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it had a new radiator put in 20k miles ago. And it kinda smells like some kinda oil.

Weird thing is the tranny fluid doesn't seem to have a trace of water in it..

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Looks normal to me.

·
Premium Member
21,152 Posts
Weird thing is the tranny fluid doesn't seem to have a trace of water in it..
I'm not sure you could tell if the transmission had water in it without dropping the pan and draining it off.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I don't see any coolant/trany fluid seperation. if doesn't seperate then your good.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well why does it smell like an oil type fluid?

And I read on a post, a guys tranny line busted inside his radiator and caused his to overflow. However his stuff looked like chocolate milk almost. And only thing I could think of is tranny fluid mixing with the coolant to produce the coolant to have an oil type smell. I don't want to have to replace a tranny and radiator in a couple weeks..eek!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Well why does it smell like an oil type fluid?

And I read on a post, a guys tranny line busted inside his radiator and caused his to overflow. However his stuff looked like chocolate milk almost. And only thing I could think of is tranny fluid mixing with the coolant to produce the coolant to have an oil type smell. I don't want to have to replace a tranny and radiator in a couple weeks..eek!

Don't know why. But if you want to see the seperation pour some trany fluid into that clean coolant and see what happens.

Have you checked your Trany fluid to see if it changing colors??

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Don't know why. But if you want to see the seperation pour some trany fluid into that clean coolant and see what happens.

Have you checked your Trany fluid to see if it changing colors??
Yeah, I think ATF will float on top of the coolant and you should see that in the overflow tank. Mix a little ATF with coolant in a clear bottle, shake it, and let it sit for awhile.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No color changes on the tranny fluid..however I'm not sure you could really tell too much off a small lil dip-stick.

I'll pour coolant into a jar, then the coolant I took out of the overflow into a jar, and let them sit for a day or two. I'll tke photos.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here we go. The difference between pure coolant, and contaminated coolant.
I was pondering the idea, when they replaced my radiator 20k miles ago, they didn't full extract all the coolant out. Maybe this oil crap is leftover from that. But then again, who knows.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
they might not have flushed the system very good.

If you had coolant in the trany I would thing you would see it but the trany would have to be cold. Once you heat up the fluid and coolant they will mix but at room/ambient temp they should seperate.

I know you have all been through it but I would drain out all the coolant and flush with water and drain and flush and drain and flush untill get it as clean as it will get. Run straight water and see what happens for a day or so. Don't go too long though. If you start getting redish water then yeah you might have a problem.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Drain from the outlet on the tranny pan and send to blackstone labs for a $22 test of the fluid. They will send you bottles to use, and the form to fill out. Results emailed about 3 days after I send in my oil samples. They do all sorts of auto fluids.

IMO. your coolant is pretty normal looking.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to give an update.. the "oily coolant" I pulled from the overflow tank has been sitting for over a day and still looks the same mixture..no speperation between coolant/oil

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Are you sure someone didn"t put some orange colored GM antifreeze in it. It has an oily feel to it.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
No seperation, no oil most likely...just dirty. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts