Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I towed my buddys jeep down to rousch creek this weekend and when we got in to PA on some of those longer hills the tranny temp would shoot right up. I had it in 4th in tow mode. If I put it down into 3rd the temp would go back down to normal almost instantly. Seems a little odd to me, its not like it was struggeling in 4th either. Anybody else experience this? I'm going to call me dealer today and see what they say about it. Its an 08 pro-4x with tow package by the way.

Other than that pretty happy with the towing performance, seemed to handle the weight pretty well and got 11.5 mpg's, that not much less than I get normally.

·
Registered
779 Posts
did it go past the normal line? what was your speed in 4th?

If the torque converter stays unlocked going up a long grade the temp will go up some.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it was just a hair from H the first time before I cought it, 65 mph

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
Yes if it is a heavy trailer, tow in 4th. also check to make sure tranny cooler isn't blocked by leaves, dead birds etc..
Might want to check your fluid level also.

·
Super Moderator
160,774 Posts
You did the right thing dropping it a gear. With this engine, you can't be afraid to let it rev. Especially on the long grades.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You did the right thing dropping it a gear. With this engine, you can't be afraid to let it rev. Especially on the long grades.
I agree with Carbeaux. I've had this happen once on a 7.5% grade at 55 mph with my trailer at 8000#. Put in third dropped to 48 -50 mph and the tranny temp stayed right at normal. This was a 3 mile grade. There is nothing wrong with your truck, just don't be afraid to rev up into the high 4000 rpms and keep it there for some time.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
uh oh.. and I'm towing a heavy *** trailer to Miami..though I doubt I'll hit many steep hills.. but I don't have the tow package. Thus meaning I don't have a temp guage for my tranny.

I did notice I have a "AT TEMP" bright yellow light (never came on, just comes on for a minute when you first start the truck) and in the book it says "Automatic Tranny Temp warning light"..anyone know what temp sets that light, and if I should go by that light if it does come on?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I agree with Carbeaux. I've had this happen once on a 7.5% grade at 55 mph with my trailer at 8000#. Put in third dropped to 48 -50 mph and the tranny temp stayed right at normal. This was a 3 mile grade. There is nothing wrong with your truck, just don't be afraid to rev up into the high 4000 rpms and keep it there for some time.

Yeah thats what I did for the rest of the trip, not really a big deal, but I would think if the tranny can handle the pull in 4th then the tranny cooler should be able to keep up with it and/or it should be programmed that the tranny should shift down before there would be a temp problem, especially in tow mode, but I guess thats just the engineer in me ha ha.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Sorry but, if you were really in 4th, and were running hot, somethings not right. That's NOT normal. If you were in D (5th) then yes....you'll run hot and it shoots right down to normal once 4th is used. What's even worse is that according to your signature, you have an 08. The 08s temp guage doesn't fluctuate like earlier years. They changed it because I guess people would freak out when the temp would rise. Now, you have to be really overheating the tranny for it to show it. I'd have it checked asap. You may be down on fluid.

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
Yeah thats what I did for the rest of the trip, not really a big deal, but I would think if the tranny can handle the pull in 4th then the tranny cooler should be able to keep up with it and/or it should be programmed that the tranny should shift down before there would be a temp problem, especially in tow mode, but I guess thats just the engineer in me ha ha.
etk300ex makes a valid point. The ecu seems to manage everything else. Why doesn't it make your transmission down shift?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Sorry but, if you were really in 4th, and were running hot, somethings not right. That's NOT normal.
I think he means he was in 4th while towing up hill, which if the torque converter is unlocked will heat up the trans in a hurry. So if that's the case then it is normal and the truck just needs to be dropped into 3rd.

Basically etk300ex, you want to keep the torque converter locked up. Towing up a hill in 4th will more than likely unlock the converter and start producing tons of heat, which the fluid has to absorb. So dropping it into 3rd will not only lock the converter up more often than not, but it will also increase the flow of cool fluid into and hot fluid out of the transmission. Like others have said, this engine can take the higher rpms just fine. I speed up to 65mph with my 3500lb trailer so that I am at about 3600rpm, which is peak torque. I also agree with you that the ecu should change gears for hills in tow mode, but it doesn't so manually changing is your best bet.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I think he means he was in 4th while towing up hill, which if the torque converter is unlocked will heat up the trans in a hurry. So if that's the case then it is normal and the truck just needs to be dropped into 3rd.

Basically etk300ex, you want to keep the torque converter locked up. Towing up a hill in 4th will more than likely unlock the converter and start producing tons of heat, which the fluid has to absorb. So dropping it into 3rd will not only lock the converter up more often than not, but it will also increase the flow of cool fluid into and hot fluid out of the transmission. Like others have said, this engine can take the higher rpms just fine. I speed up to 65mph with my 3500lb trailer so that I am at about 3600rpm, which is peak torque. I also agree with you that the ecu should change gears for hills in tow mode, but it doesn't so manually changing is your best bet.
If he was towing uphill and the tranny only downshifted to 4th while the gearshift was in D that would be one thing. But putting it in 4th changes how the torque converter locks and unlocks so he should'nt be overheating the tranny, that's not normal...especially since the tranny will shift into 3rd if it needs it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If he was towing uphill and the tranny only downshifted to 4th while the gearshift was in D that would be one thing. But putting it in 4th changes how the torque converter locks and unlocks so he should'nt be overheating the tranny, that's not normal...especially since the tranny will shift into 3rd if it needs it.

yes I was in 4th, I'm glad someone agrees with me that its not normal!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have towed my travel trailer 20,000 + miles (5600 lbs) thru PA and AZ up many grades with no problems. The only thing that I can think of, besides a problem, would be some perfect grade that kept the converter unlocked and the transmission never downshifted, then it might tend to heat up.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It happend 3 times, after that i just new when to shift into 3rd. Also it was only a 70's jeep on the trailer I'm thinking combined weight around 4000#

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Every truck is different but I tow a heavy TT. And if I'm in 4th using tow mode (tow mode does nothing on the hwy...just holds lower 3 gears during starts) I can tow up major VT mountains and the needle won't move but a smidge (hey...I never thought I'd use that word!). If I try "D" (which I've done) it will go almost to the red. Once thrown back to 4th, it comes back down almost immediately. Now that was with my 04. My new 08 PRO-4X?.....I've trying everything so far and I've yet to be able to get it into or even NEAR the red. So I'd have to agree with you etk, something needs to be checked by the dealer. Hey, it's under warranty...why not. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I just saw a pic of you towing your buddys Jeep in the other thread! There's NO WAY that should heat your tranny up! NO WAY! I could tow that up a 17% grade in 5th gear from Sunday to Sunday with a fat lady in the bed and not have any issues...... umm...other than getting the fat lady OUT of the bed again!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hmmm...was a little nervous to click on this thread when I first read the title. I was gonna say "turn on the A/C and tell her to air them huevos out!"

1 - 20 of 93 Posts