Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home today after a 7 hr camping trip to OC MD and found the entire underside of the truck and trailer hitch covered with tranny fluid. I can't find the leak source and the truck towed and drove fine the entire way. The guage never got hot either. I think it's tranny fluid because it's not motor oil, and it's not gear oil. Any ideas before I drop it off at the dealer?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
My 2005 just did this - it turned out to be leaking from 2 places - the Trans lines had defective clamps - replaced by the dealer. Next leak of trans fluid was fronm the transfer case - bolt loosened up and most of the fluid leaked out. Trans leaked type J - matic and transfer case leaked type d matic. Both look the same puddled under the truck.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
What are they doing for yours - with mine they empied the 1 1/2 pints of filthy type D from the transfer case, tightened up the loose bolt and then refilled it with new nissan D matic. I was concerned about all the metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug - but the service manager and the head mechanic said that was "normal" break in wear on 14,000 mile fluid that had not yet been changed (I was schedualed to change it at 15K service interval. Is this normal - or am I looking to get stuck down the road?

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
royr said:
What are they doing for yours - with mine they empied the 1 1/2 pints of filthy type D from the transfer case, tightened up the loose bolt and then refilled it with new nissan D matic. I was concerned about all the metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug - but the service manager and the head mechanic said that was "normal" break in wear on 14,000 mile fluid that had not yet been changed (I was schedualed to change it at 15K service interval. Is this normal - or am I looking to get stuck down the road?
I changed the transfer case oil (and front and rear diff oil), at 1500 miles and at 12k miles on my 05. While I expected the 1500 mile oil to be fairly clean( and it was), the 12k oil also looked like new and there was nothing on the drain plug.
1/3 of my mileage is in 4WD and I shift into and out of 4WD at least 20 times a week.
From my experience, what you described is not normal, my new oil looked the same as the old oil that I changed out, I figured I wasted my money on the oil change.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I bought my truck used and when I had to take my truck in I asked the SM if my truck had ever been in for anything and he said something about a trans line was fixed and he said it was pretty common for our trucks.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
had a similar experience...started a thread in this catagory a few pages back...check it out.. Began the thread with "blowing tranny fluid everywhere"

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Skyboi said:
had a similar experience...started a thread in this catagory a few pages back...check it out.. Began the thread with "blowing tranny fluid everywhere"
Thanks and sorry I didn't see your post first. The only difference is that I had absolutely no drivability issues at all. That may simply be because you lost more fluid than I did. I only noticed the "leak" when I got home and was unhooking the RV and found the hitch, safety chains etc covered in what seems to be tranny fluid. I'll let you know what it was when the dealer has a chance to look at it and fix it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got the call....they have to order me a new transfer case. So it wasn't the tranny after all. But why did it go? Was is because of the RV I was towing? I thought the transfer case was basically to send power to the front wheels....no? Should I be worried now? Maybe the Titans gear really can't handle the 9k LBS claimed? Any ideas?...points?...comments?

·
Registered
25 Posts
now i too am a little concerned. came back from a 2000 mile trip with 5x10 utility trailer and noticed oil on it as well. i have not noticed anything on the ground and i checked my trans fluid and was in the normal range. did notice the seal at the driveshaft/trans a little fluid.
think i should take it in and have them check my transfer case as well?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I don't see how they won't. When they sell lifted trucks do they cancel the warranty on everything that might be affected by the lift?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts