Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Less than a month ago i had my truck in the dealer for my tranny fluid service. I have 60k miles on my 2004, and this is my second tranny fluid service. I am now having some unsettling noises and shifting. From first to second it shifts like a school bus. Same when downshifting. All other gears are fine or unnoticeable. Also i can tell she doesnt shift correctly now. It will hold a gear far longer than before. Can you guys give me some feedback if you have experienced this problem? I take such good care of my truck and now this is what she gives me in return??? :crying: Might be time for her to move on.

Any advice or comments would ease my concerns if you can share. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,486 Posts
Since it was done by the dealer, take it back to them. They warranty their work, so if the trans service caused the problem (Low fluid?) then they'll fix it. If the service exposed a pre-existing problem that has yet to show itself then there's not a lot they can or could do since the service didn't actually cause the problem.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yahooligan said:
If the service exposed a pre-existing problem that has yet to show itself then there's not a lot they can or could do since the service didn't actually cause the problem.
This is what i am afraid of. The dealer isnt going to say "hey we caused this we will be happy to fix it for you". But until the service it didnt do this. Some people say that a tranny fluid change can expose problems that were there before. SO what am i looking at here as far as repairs are concerned?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,486 Posts
It's hard to say. Since you've got 60k, I'm assuming you had it done at 30k as well. Plus, now that you've got 60k, your warranty is up. If it's at 60,xxx miles then I would hope (expect) Nissan corporate to step up and do a good-will repair since it's so close to the 60k limit and you've following the maint schedule.

The only thing that pops into my head is that a piece of debris has lodged itself in the transmission valve body and is either blocking a circuit or has caused a valve or solenoid to stick or not fully close, which results in a pressure leak to the 1-2 clutch pack and doesn't allow full disengagement and results in a harsh shift.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
823 Posts
I had a similar experience with a chevy. Had the service done and almost immediately had problems like you describe. In my case the debris was a rubber seal that was improperly installed and got sucked up into the torque converter. Even though the tranny service was done at Jiffy Lube, my dealer fixed it under warranty. I told them the hows and whys, they said the warranty repair was the best for them. Good luck and all the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,408 Posts
Well heres what the u1000 code is in the service manual...
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I retrieved SES DTC code U1000. It says it is a CAN COMMUNICATION LINE. Staes possible cause is harness or connectors(CAN communication line is open or shorted). So what does that have to do with my transmission troubles? This one has got me bumfuzzled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,019 Posts
They might have unplugged something when doing the service and forgot to plug it back in or it's not plugged in right.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what the deal is, but either there is debris in the valve body or the torque converter is acting up. Well thats what it feels like anyway. As far as that code goes I guess i will clear it in the morning, unplug my Scangauge for the drive to work and see if that is what the data communication line code is from. Talk about bad luck......geeesh. And to top it off I feel like I am talking to myself here. LOL. Oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,486 Posts
If something were disconnected by accident I would expect to see a code for the sensor itself and not a generic CAN bus communication error. I suppose it's possible that the Scangauge is interfering with it in some way.

You get all the fun ones... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,408 Posts
If the scanguage is the problem you should throw it away, in my mailbox....so i can properly dispose of it... haha

Let us know what happens though, hope it isnt anything serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,400 Posts
roy365 said:
I don't know what the deal is, but either there is debris in the valve body or the torque converter is acting up. Well thats what it feels like anyway. As far as that code goes I guess i will clear it in the morning, unplug my Scangauge for the drive to work and see if that is what the data communication line code is from. Talk about bad luck......geeesh. And to top it off I feel like I am talking to myself here. LOL. Oh well.
Have you had any problems before now at all?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got back in from driving it a few times. I first started it and my gauges flashed on/off real quick. No code though. So i cut it off and back on again same thing. Unplugged ScangaugeII and started it. No lights flash. Plug Scangauge back in and start it everything ok. Drove to see how tranny was acting again.......shifted ok like nothing happened. WTH?!?!?!? For the error code and lights flashing I "assume" it was the Scangauge partially unplugged? I dunno it's a weird code to try to diagnose for me. For the tranny issues I am clueless......seems like either something is getting stuck sometimes or its electronically failing. If it were the converter i think it would do it constantly. How do you explain to the dealer this is happening and them understand or believe you when there is a chance it might or it might not happen again?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SKEET said:
Have you had any problems before now at all?
No. I cant say I have. Other than a bump shifting from reverse to drive every now and then.But others have experienced that before too. I just checked the tranny fluid and it was full. Color was a clean reddish tint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,823 Posts
There were some issues with leaving the scan guage connected all the time. I did some research on it a long while back, and I remember a few owners experienced weird ECU problems after it was on everyday for a few weeks. I don't remember where I saw that feedback, but it wasn't at any Titan forums.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sudden urge said:
There were some issues with leaving the scan guage connected all the time. I did some research on it a long while back, and I remember a few owners experienced weird ECU problems after it was on everyday for a few weeks. I don't remember where I saw that feedback, but it wasn't at any Titan forums.
That's nice. Sounds par for what i was seeing. The manual says code U1000 comes up if the TCM cannot communicate with other control units. This leads me to believe that was the culprit for the code. I was trying to figure out exactly what the TCM was. The two diagnostic procedures involve data monitoring for the "engine" and "A/T". So either the Scangauge was the issue or it really does have something to do with the tranny problems i am having.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,486 Posts
roy365 said:
That's nice. Sounds par for what i was seeing. The manual says code U1000 comes up if the TCM cannot communicate with other control units. This leads me to believe that was the culprit for the code. I was trying to figure out exactly what the TCM was. The two diagnostic procedures involve data monitoring for the "engine" and "A/T". So either the Scangauge was the issue or it really does have something to do with the tranny problems i am having.
TCM = Transmission Control Module, sometimes referred to as a PCM (Powertrain Control Module) depending on the vehicle.

Definitely sounds like it could cause your problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,823 Posts
TCM is the acronym for transmission control module.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top