Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have noticed, and this is new since the truck did not use to do this, that my the tranny temp in my truck (06 Titan SE) goes through the roof when towing, specially going up hill. Someone here mentioned a while back the fan clutch, however, I don't know how to test it.

Does anyone have any information on how to test a faulty fan clutch and anything else to check for regarding hot tranny when towing?

I have been driving this truck for 76K miles and I have towed several trailers before (4th gear, downshift when too hot, clean tranny fluid...) All of this helps, however, the tranny temp goes up sooner, more often and more dramatically than it used to.

Any ideas would be appreciated?

Mike

·
Premium Member
21,124 Posts
When was the transmission fluid last changed, as in a full 11 quart change, not the 3 or 4 quart change when you only open the drain plug.

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
I would love to see this answered as this was an issue with my 06 and its been bugging me ever since. It also started happening to me at around 76,000 miles.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tranny fluid has only 10K miles on it.
I did 3 fluid drains of 4 quarts each, 1K miles apart. Fluid is nice and clean now w/o having to do a flush.

Mike

·
Registered
989 Posts
I also have an 06 that has the same issue. I towed up a large grade that I always tow up and I have never had an issue with the transmission running warm. However, the last time I went up it, the transmission gauge went up to the maximum "still within operating range" mark (BDGT said 213 degrees). I've recently put a PML tranny pan on, so we'll see how that goes next time I tow. Oh, and the tranny fluid has been changed every 30K miles, with a fluid exchange using the cooler lines at 90K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts