Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to still be getting a TINY bit of leakage from my tranny temp sensor that I installed in the tranny test port (standard install location per instructional threads here at TT). Not enough really to drip on the ground (which is why I didn't notice it at first)... but enough to show some signs of blow-back onto the pan and frame cross member just below the sensor itself (just a slight film of oil).

My question is... what's the best way to seal these threads?

Can I use a bit of teflon tape... or should I use a bit-o permatex thread seal? Or something else entirely?

I have the thing cinched down pretty darned tightly... and it has the rubber o-ring on it that came off the bolt I pulled out of the port originally, so I'm kinda surprised that I'm still having some leakage. Definitely need to fix though.

Thanks for the tips gents!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would use the permatex thread seal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does that still work okay if it comes in contact with fluid? i ask because a bit of fluid does drip out when you take the sensor out. what i had to do when i made the swap to the sensor was pull the bolt/plug out, hold my finger over the hole while i got the sensor ready, then quickly pull my finger away to screw the sensor in. even then, a few drops of fluid came out.

that said, i was concerned that the permatex wouldn't work like it should since there's no way for me to really get clean threads before the install.

make sense? is it nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just try it and see. If it still leaks you can always try teflon tape.

·
Registered
978 Posts
the little bit that may come in contact with the fluid will not contaminate it, and should just dissolve into it. Just limit the permatex to the threads of the sensor, but even if you had a snot of it on the end of the sensor i still wouldn't be worried.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks.

ya... i wasn't so worried about the permatex damaging the fluid, more that it just wouldn't work because of the fluid.

what can i say... i'm lazy. LOL. i want to fix this ONCE and be done. hehehehe. if i can avoid a trial-and-error method of fixing the problem i'd much prefer it. hehehehehehe.

·
Registered
978 Posts
you could drain a couple of quarts out of it to where it is below the sensor port.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The permatex will be fine, tef tape is fine too, so long as you put the right amount on and don't get sloppy. You definately don't want those little threads in your trans. I used the tape on front and rear diff plugs, cause that's what I had.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.