Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just sharing a recent experience, requiring a new radiator. Hopefully this will add to someone else's search down the road...

A few week ago I noticed some trans fluid drips while snowblowing the driveway. It appeared from the front, and was dripping off the lowest part of the skid plate. I removed the skidplate (easily twisting off a bolt in the process, second time I've done that!) and observed leakage all around the barbs at the bottom of the radiator, where the transmission fluid lines enter the radiator. I made a couple of calls, and was urged to take it to the dealership.

Meanwhile, I thought "How the hell could it be the radiator, it's a transmission fluid leak". The trans cooler looked fine, but it was obviously the bottom of the radiator. A quick search here revealed that the trans fluid actually has a loop in the radiator that serves to warm up the fluid on the way through to the trans cooler. Good 'ol search.... I started pricing radiators.

First trip to the shop, I got a call at the end of the day. "All fixed up. Come on in". $68 later (included a skid plate bolt, old one removed), I'm on my way home. I get home and peek under the front... Now there's maticJ continuously flowing off the skid plate. Fantastic. Peeking down from the top, I see that I have some new SS worm clamps where the spring clamps were before. Problem not fixed.

Second trip to the shop, I got a call in the early afternoon. It's the radiator. I asked how much, "$650 for the radiator, about $250 for installation". So I went tot the shop to pick up my truck, without the radiator. I bought the truck when I lived in the US, and now I'm shocked every time I'm quoted a price for a part here in Canada. It's like the internet doesn't exist in dealerships in Canada.

I get to the shop, there's a pool of red fluid under my truck. The problem is getting worse FAST. The fittings had actually completely corroded, and I was fortunate that I the coolant and trans fluid didn't mix. This was a disaster waiting to happen. The shop agreed to allow me to leave my truck in the lot, and they would install an aftermarket radiator for me.

I bought a new radiator online for $180 shipped to Calais Maine. Took my wife's car and drove down and picked up my new radiator 5 days later. Dropped it off, and they installed. I would have liked to install it myself, but the weather was terrible that week, and I really didn't want to move my truck, due to the BIG RED puddle under it. To make matters worse, there were 3 big snowstorms that week, enough snow each time that required them to move all the cars at the dealership to move all the snow. There were several puddles of matic J where they had to move my truck each time. I was expecting to be very low on trans fluid by the end of the week, but apparently a little bit of trans fluid looks like a LOT on the ground. In the end, the shop installed my new radiator, new coolant, and less than 1L of maticJ. Not bad at all! I had just paid for a spill and fill the previous summer, so I really didn't want to pay for a boatload of maticJ again!
I paid about $200 for installation. (which was fine by me, given the cold weather that week). Less than their original quote.

I was pleased that the shop installed my aftermarket radiator without a fuss. I think all the boys there knew $650 was insane for a radiator, but their hands were tied. I sure wish it happened in the summertime in my driveway though. If you or someone you know needs a new radiator - DIY. The stillen instructions are incredible. Looks like a very easy job.

Keep an eye on your radiator! Those things are not very robust. If I need to replace one again, I'll go with the stillen for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Welcome to victimized by radiator and raped by dealer sympathy group. I feel your pain. I too, was a victim. Well in your case the rape wasn't so bad by the dealer. Hopefully you won't be at Stillen doorstep soon.

L

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I feel your pain man, I've just gone through the same thing over the last 6k miles...finally have the Stillen in with all new hoses and clamps. Luckily, I'm in Florida and was able to do it myself...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts