Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I recently purchased a 2005 SE big tow off road titan with 68k. I got a lot of good feedback from my intro thread and one of the first projects I'm going to tackle is the tru-cool/radiator by-pass. I checked my hoses and they all seem to be seeping around the connection. Not a large amount, but enough to make those hoses look oily. My tru-cool would take be here until next week and I won't be able to install it until the weekend. I should be alright driving for another week with the hoses like this, right?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If they aren't dripping they should be fine.
If something should go awry shut 'er down asap to avoid damaging the trans.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't see any drips. Just a bit of seepage but I'm going to keep an eye on it. And next weekend I'll install all new lines and the cooler and be good to go.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I installed my new cooler up front and plumbed in the old stock cooler as well. With the radiator out of the loop all I have to do is periodically check the hoses for any problems.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I didn't see any drips. Just a bit of seepage but I'm going to keep an eye on it. And next weekend I'll install all new lines and the cooler and be good to go.
mine were doing that for years. I just replaced the one by the filter earlier today.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome that makes me feel more comfortable driving it around.

You guys think I'd be alright if I bypass all the stock coolers? I ordered the tru cool 4589 which is 8x11x1.5. I figure with less unions there's less of a chance of leaks

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
That cooler should be enough if it's properly located, but you'll have to be careful towing or if you happen to get stuck.
Connections are nothing to worry about as long as you use quality hoses and clamps.
I suggest using the both coolers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes sense. I'll just run the two. I plan on using 5/16 transmission cooler hose and fuel injection clamps.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Bypass the radiator,use the stock cooler plus the tru cool. I got rid of all of the hard lines that caused to many extra connections also.

Reactions: LUBECAKES

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That kinda answers my questions. I'd like to eliminate as many hard lines as possible. I'd like to only use 4 lengths of hose; from trans to stock cooler>stock cooler to tru cool >tru cool to hard line> hard line to trans. Hell if I could get rid of that last hard line and only use 3 lengths of hose that'd be tits.

Have any pics of how you did it? Or any advice at least?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I just followed the trucool thread from MilenkoGT. I think I left 1 hard line closest to the radiator coolant reservoir because it made sense to leave it at the time, I just cant remember why. The stock transmission cooler is actually between the radiator and the AC cooler, once you mount the new cooler and figure out the flow of the lines its a fairly simple install.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yea I studied that thread pretty thoroughly. I actually typed up a color coded hard copy of the steps so I don't have to get on my phone or computer a bunch of times to look at the thread.

So I've got a really good grasp on how it is all going to be completed. I'm just trying to eliminate as many unnecessary connections as possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Disclaimer: about to open a can of worms

I was researching atf for a while trying to find a good, cost effective replacement for the matic-s. I can't find any threads on that mention it, but the Castro date page says that the transmax import full synthetic meets the Japanese vehicle specs (I forget the jao... Something number it stated). Would this be a sufficient replacement trans fluid?

The European market fluid "transmax Fe" specifically mentions it exceeds matic-s specifications but the US version just says it exceeds the Japanese manufacturers specifications.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've heard of people here using all different types of fluid with no problems. Personally Id rather spend the extra 50$ for the peace of mind in knowing I have the right stuff in the transmission.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If you don't want to use Matic S I suggest Valvoline max life or Amsoil....I'm just not sure what the Amsoil is called.

Reactions: MikeClark

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys I appreciate it. One last question. Where is the stock BT trans temp sensor?

I read somewhere that bypassing the radiator bypasses that sensor, but I've also read it's inside the trans. So it's a little confusing with the conflicting info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts