Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys need tech gurus help did radiator bypass and added a trans cooler changed some rubber hoses and fittings to the screw type drain and filled trans but now I have a leak it's trans fluid but there is no leaks in the front where I did the work it look like it coming from the middle of the engine under the power steering pump somewhere there I'd there any rubber hoses there I thought it would be a metal line I added some pics to see if you can help before I start removing stuff on the weekend to see if I can see more. It's not from the trans dipstick either and it's not motor oil

Attachments

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Looks like it's leaking up front around either your hard lines coming from the trans or from your either the OEM cooler between the radiator and condenser or the new auxiliary cooler you added, and the fan is getting it and throwing it everywhere.

When you did the bypass you followed the original post and took the connections to the lower radiator tank and re-routed them to your OEM cooler and new aux cooler, correct? Did you put vacuum caps over the two outlets on the cooler segment in the lower tank you bypassed?

Reactions: Roush

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
6,586 Posts
Powersteeing fluid level is good? Under the engine is where the hard trans lines hook to the soft lines so maybe one popped off?

·
Registered
2011 SV CC 4X4 in Scarlet Red
112 Posts
That was my guess is perhaps powersteering, easy to move one of those lines when your in there doing the transmission cooler bypass. Or the extra trans fluid dripping out of the old cooler and like Dubyam has stated the fan is throwing it all over the place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok power steering fluid is good and everything in the front is dry including new cooler and radiator also lines added to the cooler are dry on the bottom of radiator I just connected the line from end to end to bypass unless there is more rubber on the hard lines somewhere under the engine I'll take the splash shield and wheel off this weekend to take a closer look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like it's leaking up front around either your hard lines coming from the trans or from your either the OEM cooler between the radiator and condenser or the new auxiliary cooler you added, and the fan is getting it and throwing it everywhere.

When you did the bypass you followed the original post and took the connections to the lower radiator tank and re-routed them to your OEM cooler and new aux cooler, correct? Did you put vacuum caps over the two outlets on the cooler segment in the lower tank you bypassed?
Yes, I did not put vaccum caps just a hose from end to end so it's a closed loop on the lower segment, I routed the line to the new cooler and from there to the original cooler then it goes back down to the trans .

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Wonder if there wasn't some residue somewhere leftover that got blown around. Check your trans fluid level (follow the procedure in the book - it's a few steps) and check it. Better to confirm you have the right amount than to burn a solenoid or worse.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wonder if there wasn't some residue somewhere leftover that got blown around. Check your trans fluid level (follow the procedure in the book - it's a few steps) and check it. Better to confirm you have the right amount than to burn a solenoid or worse.
Yes I drained and added 4 quarts which was what came out and when I added the trans cooler I added half a quart one day it looked low the next day it looked overfilled so took two quarts out and then added one and it started leaking I don't think it overfilled as when I check it it's in between the two indentation on the cool side trans almost never gets to the middle like it used too before the trans cooler still shifts fine as of yesterday when I noticed it was leaking

·
Registered
112 Posts
In the photo it looks like it blew out high up on the motor, thats why I thought power steering leak. However, after your last post are you sure it didn't spit some transmission fluid out the dipstick? Always check your transmission fluid when the truck is warm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the photo it looks like it blew out high up on the motor, thats why I thought power steering leak. However, after your last post are you sure it didn't spit some transmission fluid out the dipstick? Always check your transmission fluid when the truck is warm.
No that's where I thought it came out at first because I just hand tightened the screw but the I actually got it real tight but it's dry around the dipstick also so it's a mystery for now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did you get your transmission fluid topped off at the correct level after adding fluid, removing fluid, adding the cooler, and having a leak? Just because the truck shifts fine doesn't mean the fluid level is correct. Check the level after the truck is warmed up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hope you figure it out and it’s easy,, could just be the leftover fluid seeping from the old lines and such getting tossed around in the bay?

It does look just like ours did when the power steering started leaking on us, hose coming from the reservoir started leaking and had to be replaced.

Either way double check PS fluid and also trans fluid like others have said repeatedly when warm until you get a good accurate reading on the stick and it’s good. These teams are tough and will shift well even with low fluid sometimes.

I had my trans replaced at 75k because a cooler line buster while hauling *** and didn’t know sprayed all the fluid out and under, down the side of the truck. Lucky then I had GEICO MBI insurance and they covered it all, we then bypassed factory trans cooler anyways, ran a big aftermarket cooler truck now has over 200k on it. Trans gets serviced every 80k, flush old fluid and put in all new fluid.

Anyways should be easy to track down man, good luck, leave some cardboard under it see where it drips from and maybe it’s an easy fix bubba!!
Our truck is an 07 and the same color, love that damn truck!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a terrible time getting the connections to stop leaking, had to double clamp several to finally get it to stop weeping. I've had EVERY ATF HOSE burst sooner or later, and finally replaced them all with braided stainless oil lines from the Harley.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Jim, when you get some time, I'd love to see some pics of your install and hear about where you sourced parts. I've been eyeing how to do exactly what you did for a while but I'm not 100% sure on the OEM cooler if there's enough hose barb there to flare it and mate it to an AN- fitting. What size did you use and type of lines?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts