Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my rad today (second time/1st armada/now titan) and somehow I bent the little nipple that the hose connects to off. Also the cooler I am talking about is the little one around 18 inches in width on the passenger side that is bolted to the rad. I got a late start cause of Christmas and only have a couple days till I go camping so I decided to do it in the dark with lights. All was going good, pulled the rad out and went back to blow out all the crud at the bottom and noticed I bent the aluminum nipple. I tried to straighten it out and it broke off. There is about 1 inch left before it goes into a block that has the other nipple. So my question is, where do I find one before friday cause I have to go to work or can I use some sort of aftermarket one? I searched online and only found 1 on ebay that is used for 100$ bucks. I do tow once in awhile so cool cooling is a must.
Any help or suggestions would greatly help. I am on a time limit here and time is not on my side.
Thanks

Terry

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
or you could buy a Tru-Cool external trans. cooler their much cheaper & add that in instead of the OEM one. $100 sound's a little pricey...

Here's a couple pic's, the "How-To" is on the forum i believe:
Trans Cooler Install pictures by tat2titan - Photobucket
So I would leave the stock one out and replace with one of these. How do I know what hose goes where. I guess from seeing only 2 hoses 1 would be in and 1 would be out. Does it matter which one or does the new cooler say how. I don't have too much time here so if this would work then I don't see any problems for me. I already have the truck apart. Replacing the t-stat as well.
Terry

EDIT: After searching around it looks like most people still use the stock one in addition to this one. Is this single one going to be sufficient enough when I am pulling a travel trailer in the summer months. If not then I would just go back to stock and pay the $100 bucks.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Yes, you can by-pass the external cooler that got broke. Just find the output line coming from the internal trans. cooler in the rad, then run it to this external cooler. It should work just fine, since this style cooler is more efficient at cooling.

I plan on by-passing my internal trans. cooler, because it it mainly for cold weather driving. It help's warm up the trans oil by passing through the rad & since i live in Florida it next get's tat cold down here. That will lower my trans. temp's & help keep it cool in the summertime heat. :)

Here's the How-To i followed to do mine, since there isn't one on this forum:
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61980&highlight=trans+cooler+install

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, you can by-pass the external cooler that got broke. Just find the output line coming from the internal trans. cooler in the rad, then run it to this external cooler. It should work just fine, since this style cooler is more efficient at cooling.

I plan on by-passing my internal trans. cooler, because it it mainly for cold weather driving. It help's warm up the trans oil by passing through the rad & since i live in Florida it next get's tat cold down here. That will lower my trans. temp's & help keep it cool in the summertime heat. :)

Here's the How-To i followed to do mine, since there isn't one on this forum:
Long Tru Cool LPD Transmission Cooler (SR4588) INSTALL and Radiator Bypass MOD - Nissan Titan Forum: Club Titan Forums
Awesome, that will work for me. I found all the lines and now understand how it works. Looks like it went into the trans cooler first then to the rad then out to the tranny. Thanks for the help.
One more thing, I can't wait to order the tru cool cooler so I have to go with whatever is local. I will match size and specs as close as I can or go bigger.
Terry

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
It's a pretty tight fit were i have mine installed, next to the condenser fan. Since your removing the cooler in front of the rad, you might be able to mount it where the OEM one was. It will depend on what you can find locally i guess. Good luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up buying a Hayden 516 cooler. Specs: 3/4x10x15 1/2x12
It was either this one or some cheesy looking one. This is the type that connects to the ac radiator or motor radiator by using some ties that goes through the center of it. It wanted to mount it with brackets but time was not on my side as I just woke up right now. After changing the radiator, flushed radiator fluid, and t-stat it was about 5am. I took it around the block some and called it quits. Now that the motor is cold and all the fluids have settled, I'm still having a problem checking the tranny fluid level. My dip stick shows 1 notch, then a 2nd notch that has hash marks around it, then it does the bends and then says hot. If I have not started my truck where is a good base line to go off from. It's easier for me to see the level cold rather than warm/hot. I don't have any temp checkers so I will do the best I can. Right now the level cold is at the lower bend. I believe that is too much.
I will keep my stock cooler and have the little nipple welded back on. Right now I have a motorhome but I plan on getting a 5th wheel or travel trailer so I want to make sure I don't have any heat issues. I used to pull a 24ft trailer and the truck would never get hot.
Thanks

Terry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drove it around for about 15 minutes to get it hot and parked. Went through all the gears then checked level while motor on in park. It is exactly on the 2nd notch. I assuming that is good. I wouldn't say the motor is blazing hot but hot enough that I did speed runs up and down the street. Is this where it should be.
Thanks

Terry

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Here you go:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, that is perfect. That is where I have it at now. It just made common sense to me but I was unsure. On the side note, I did a tranny drain of about 7 quarts in my titan and in my armada. I did not use the nissan approved matic fluid. I went ahead and used some coastal. it did say for import vehicles and was compatible with matic fluid. Haven't has nay issues in either truck now and it's been about 2 months or longer. My question is should I swap that out with the nissan fluid or just leave it. I am bout to do the other half using the poor mans flush.
Thanks for the help.
Terry

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Drain & fill's only! 5-7qts at a time. Nissan advises against flushing the trans completely. I would only use S-Matic, but other's have used Amsoil w/o any problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts