Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just installed a digital trans temp gauge. My work trailer is about 2,800 lb's, my truck is an '04 cc xe 2x4. I was on the Hwy last night and noticed if I run in 4th (as I allways have) the temp. reads mid. 140's. Now if I drop it into 5th the temp drops to the low 140's and high 130's. Is it safe to run in 5th on the Hwy as long as the trans temp. stays low or will it hurt somthing towing in 5th ( I use 4th for hill's).

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
yes it is fine. if you are towing over 5K lbs 4th is the way to go. the concern has been with the torque converter not locking up in 5th. But I tow the boat in 5th all the time, no problems.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
HavaTITAN said:
Hi, I just installed a digital trans temp gauge. My work trailer is about 2,800 lb's, my truck is an '04 cc xe 2x4. I was on the Hwy last night and noticed if I run in 4th (as I allways have) the temp. reads mid. 140's. Now if I drop it into 5th the temp drops to the low 140's and high 130's. Is it safe to run in 5th on the Hwy as long as the trans temp. stays low or will it hurt somthing towing in 5th ( I use 4th for hill's).
Both of those temps are fine when towing, maybe a little on the low side. Where did you install the temp sensor? You should be reading the temp as it exits the trans and not after the trans cooler or in the pan as both of those locations will give you very misleading numbers.

Heat kills transmissions, as long as the temp is kept within range and the trans isn't constantly locking and unlocking the torque converter then you're fine.

·
Registered
662 Posts
My bass boat weighs 2500-2700lbs depending on fuel load. I always tow it in 5th with tow mode off. Two years of towing all over the country with no problems.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yahooligan said:
Both of those temps are fine when towing, maybe a little on the low side. Where did you install the temp sensor? You should be reading the temp as it exits the trans and not after the trans cooler or in the pan as both of those locations will give you very misleading numbers.

Heat kills transmissions, as long as the temp is kept within range and the trans isn't constantly locking and unlocking the torque converter then you're fine.
I put the sending unit in the line going from the trans to the rad. not the return line. The temp is in the 160 to 180 range around town, it's only that low on the Hwy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Before reading this forum I would tow my trailer (about 5,500lbs) in 5th and when climbing the trans temp would climb to the high side of half way. I just completed a 900 mile round trip with many elevation changes and most of it over 95 degrees and towed in 4th, the gage never left the lower 1/4 of halfway. Towing in 4th seems to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts