Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys this is fairly urgent since the transfer case is getting ripped out later this week.

The truck: 2006 Titan 4x4, approx. 100K miles

My mechanic got under my truck and said the "case half" is leaking...I think that's what he said, and I believe it's leakign from the front side at or near the front drive shaft. He went on to say he has to pull the transfer case out to open up and re-seal the case as well as replace anything else I want him to while he's in there for no additional charge.
That being said what parts/seals should I get for him to replace while the case is apart? Specific OEM part names and part numbers would be a HUGE help as I'm getting the parts and he'll install them for me.
Note: There was nothing more wrong with my transfer case other then what appears to be a slowly progressing leak. He said my front shaft u-joints had seen better days so I'm having him replace those with Spicer greasable units as well.
Thanks a lot for any info!
Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
What you can do to verify his saying about the front drive shift u-joints being bad is go under the truck yourself and grab the front drive shift and try to move it. If there is any play in it then yeah you need to get them replaced. He right if that the case, I would want to replace the transfer case output seal going to the front axle also. Same thing happened to me but it was the one going to the rear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you can do to verify his saying about the front drive shift u-joints being bad is go under the truck yourself and grab the front drive shift and try to move it. If there is any play in it then yeah you need to get them replaced. He right if that the case, I would want to replace the transfer case output seal going to the front axle also. Same thing happened to me but it was the one going to the rear.
Thanks for the info, although I'm more curious about what additional parts and seals should I have him swap out since he'll have the transfer case out of the truck.

The truck spent a majority of it's life in Minnesota so the undercarriage is showing signs of surface rust etc. The front front drive shaft does have some play and the u-joints look horrible and excessively rusty, he said he'd throw new u-joints on as long as he was working on it; I already picked up 2 new Spicer greasable units.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts