Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was driving through mud in 2wd and the mud started getting softer so is switched it to 4wd. then my t-case started making a clicking sound (like gear teeth slipping past each other) as it was engaging. the sound lasted about 2 seconds which at the time seemed very long. i was moving about 3-4mph and 1200-1500rpm. am i doing something wrong or is this normal?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me but I was in some deep sand. I don't know if its normal but it sure sounded like sh/t to me.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Yesterday evening while driving through the construction site, I engaged my 4 Hi only to find out a problem. While excelerating from a dead stop (in 4Hi), I heard this awful sound coming from my transfer case. It was a clunk, clunk, clunk sound that happened every time it seemed to rotate around to the same point. I disengaged the 4Hi and the clunk went away once back in 2Hi. Out of curiousity, I engaged it back into 4Hi only to find the problem still exists.:huh: I called my dealer last night to have it looked at today and tomorrow. Any ideas of what might have caused this problem, or what it might be? I'm hoping to God this is going to be covered under warranty.

P.S. I engage my 4Hi at least 4-5 times a week and this just started happening yesterday. I only have 36,100 miles on the truck now. Also, I'm smart enough not to be running 4Hi on the dry roads (I've read all the posts concerning problems with that). Any ideas would help me narrow this problem down. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Oh c'mon, I know I'm not the only person to ever have this problem. Some of you out there had to of had this happen to you.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Well, my service manager called me last night to inform me that the "front axle" broke on the truck. They're calling in the Nissan tech rep to take a look at it today because he wants to see what might have caused it to break. So, I'm crossing my fingers and praying to God that this is all covered under warranty.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well let us know what they say, that should be under warranty. have you ever noticed any strange sounds while in 4 lo? last time i was offroad i was in 4lo and rolled up a hill and on the down side i noticed a click every time my wheel made a full rotation. i have not been able to recreate the sound but i have only tried on level ground.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i've heard the same clicking noise while trying to engage 4HI at a low speed. i'm curious to the source of the noise. almost sounds like an electrical/solenoid noise than a mechanical noise.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
strange, were you in mud or soft sand, or did you tires have decent traction? im not going anywhere specific with this, other than the few times it happened to me, my tires had almost no traction. I have not heard the noise since i put mobil1 atf in the t-case(about 7-8 months ago). That may be just be coincidence though.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Juday said:
Well, my service manager called me last night to inform me that the "front axle" broke on the truck. They're calling in the Nissan tech rep to take a look at it today because he wants to see what might have caused it to break. So, I'm crossing my fingers and praying to God that this is all covered under warranty.

I had the same sh*t happen to me. But being a smart person I knew it was the front diff and not the transfer case :thumbsup: and yes your warrenty should cover it because it covered for me and I already went thru three front diffs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts