Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a 04 nissan titan i just bought used. I habe 134000 Ive drove around 500 miles so far . And everything seems well. I took the truck in for a deep.inspection to see what needs to be done. my mechanic whom i trust been taking my nissans to him for years and is trust worthery. In the the inspection he said the transmission fluid looks a little dirty and recommends a transmission service in wich he will drain the fluid change the gasket and filter and re fill. Now. Im very superstisious about tranmission fluid . Im afraid if this is done it may cause transmision issues im currently not haveing any issues though since im new to titan. I want to see what you the titan experts think should i do it or is it not recommended.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just make sure the fluid is swapped using a fluid exchange machine and your using the recommended nissan fluid.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
doesnt have to be nissan branded fluid, just meet the specs they suggest. Type J or soemthing like that. Valvoline high mileage tranny fluid meets them to the best of my memory.

its not considered a regular service item any more and in theory will last the life of your transmission, but with that many miles a change would probably do it some good

·
Registered
912 Posts
doesnt have to be nissan branded fluid, just meet the specs they suggest. Type J or soemthing like that. Valvoline high mileage tranny fluid meets them to the best of my memory.

its not considered a regular service item any more and in theory will last the life of your transmission, but with that many miles a change would probably do it some good
Your right. Matic J is the type. Nissan recommends 30k mile interval. At least that's what they told me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not sure about the 04 Titan but I have a 14 and they told me they recommend it be done after 70,000 in which case I just had it done because ive hit 74,000 (I drive a lot from NC to DC) miles. Honestly my Butt Dyno says it gave it a lil more get up and go after I had it done...lol!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Your right. Matic J is the type. Nissan recommends 30k mile interval. At least that's what they told me.

The owners manual has no suggested change interval, ever, just visual inspections of the fluid condition.

30k mile change was considered typical and normal in the past, and certainly wont hurt anything other than your pocketbook, and they told you that because they want your money and your business.

Does it need changed every 30K? No. I changed mine at 40K because of a shift kit install and it was still in great condition at that time.

Just pull the dipstick and look at it.....is it the proper color, does it smell burnt or look excessively dirty? Be your own judge

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
My service guide says every 60k miles replace the fluid. I had the dealer flush mine at 59k again at 98k and I did a drop and fill at 130K when I installed the transgo shift kit. I only use matic j which is now matic s others have got by with different brands but the Nissan fluid is only $9 qt my cost. I have done the radiator bypass mod with external cooler and I dropped the temps 15* from stock. I never see over 165* in Louisiana heat.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Only $9 a quart, wow, what a bargain. Not. You may be looking at the severe service schedule as opposed to the regular maintenance schedule. I haven't looked it up recently, but don't recall any trans oil change interval

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Only $9 a quart, wow, what a bargain. Not. You may be looking at the severe service schedule as opposed to the regular maintenance schedule. I haven't looked it up recently, but don't recall any trans oil change interval
$9 a qt is a dam good price for Nissan fluid. I have heard of too many issues with other fluids so I will stick with what I use. This $4500 tranny needs to get me to 300k miles.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
$9 a qt is a dam good price for Nissan fluid.
depends on your perspective. If you think thats a good value, then great. For us who know that all oil/tranny fluid, etc...has become insanely overpriced over the last 20 years or so, and the prices have not fallen with the drop in oil price, and a quart of oil or tranny fluid used to cost $1, and a jug of anti freeze , oh....cant remember...was $3 maybe? and they are all now about 1000% higher than what they used to cost....you may soon realize $9 a quart for any oil is a rip off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm glad my transmission isn't CVT! There may be some cheaper but a quick search found this .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,629 Posts
depends on your perspective. If you think thats a good value, then great. For us who know that all oil/tranny fluid, etc...has become insanely overpriced over the last 20 years or so, and the prices have not fallen with the drop in oil price, and a quart of oil or tranny fluid used to cost $1, and a jug of anti freeze , oh....cant remember...was $3 maybe? and they are all now about 1000% higher than what they used to cost....you may soon realize $9 a quart for any oil is a rip off.

...And a loaf of bread was 5 cents. A pack of smokes was 25 cents. A gallon of gas was 35 cents. Have you been living under a rock?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That was in the oh, I wasn't alive, but I'll take a guess...1930, 1940s? Oil was still around $1 a quart in the late 1990's soon I haven't been living under a rock, but it sounds like maybe you have.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,629 Posts
My point is that everything is stupidly inflated price wise. Have a great day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts