Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I thought some might find this useful.

I have a 2007 LE CC, and starting last year, when the truck sat outside for a long time (not very often as I have a garage) and it was below freezing, the transmission will shift hard until it was warm. Other symptoms included scrambling the gauge cluster, as all the warning lights would come on and Tac and Speedo would drop to zero. The transmission sector on with the instrument cluster would disappear and the transmission would shift out of overdrive at highway speeds.

Very early Wednesday morning I was driving home after returning from the Lakewood Police officer’s Memorial, the transmission started acting up again. This time, in addition to that hard and abrupt shifting, the clutch started to slip real bad on any noticeable hill and the trans temp quickly red lined.

When the dealer here in Victoria opened up, I called in to Nissan Road side Assistance and got the truck towed in for dealer to look check it out. Within a few hours I got the call that I was getting a new transmission via Nissan Canada.

The truck has 56k klicks, or 35k miles and has never towed a trailer or been run hot or hard. Though I am happy with the service and warranty, I am having a bit problem being cool with losing a transmission with so few miles. :deathsent

Rick

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, there was probably something initially wrong with the transmission from factory, from what you are saying there were always signs of a issue so it could have been a bad apple, these trucks aren't known for transmission failures and thankfully it was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, there was probably something initially wrong with the transmission from factory, from what you are saying there were always signs of a issue so it could have been a bad apple, these trucks aren't known for transmission failures and thankfully it was covered under warranty.
Well if I lived in Edmonton, every day this side of July and Auguest would be below 0 and the truck would have not got off of the lot! :+)

We are expecting snow this weekend... ok, 2 cm is a real big thing out here, so stop laughing, and my 4x4 is in the shop. :crying:

Yeah, I grew up in Calgary and drove highway tractors well north of Fort Mac. so I do know what real snow and ice roads looks like at 48 below.

Rick

·
Registered
171 Posts
dont feel bad, back in the day I bought a new 2001 Focus ZX3 and the transmission went out before 1000 miles!!!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Sounds like a ECM problem from the sounds of it. If you gauges are going crazy and the tranny is shifting strange. All the shifting is electronic, I would say you probably have a computer problem of sorts, which caused or is causing tranny failure.

Reactions: raconnol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a ECM problem from the sounds of it. If you gauges are going crazy and the tranny is shifting strange. All the shifting is electronic, I would say you probably have a computer problem of sorts, which caused or is causing tranny failure.
Good point. I was also thinking the ECM might be cause the hard and strange shifting, (and the wonky gauges) however, at a guess, I would not expect an issue with the ECM to also cause the transmission to slip. I did check the ECM for trouble codes and found none.

However, to your point, the ECM is still worth keeping an eye on.

Rick

·
Registered
456 Posts
Since the Titan was released, our shop has only sold 1 or 2 Titan transmissions, I would say you just got a bad one. We have a lot of high mileage Titans in our shop and they don't have transmission issues.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I would agree with the guys saying just a bad one, and I would also agree that you may have some ECM issues that are worthy of keeping an eye on it as you stated! I had a problem with my throttle being jumpy, and then non-functioning at times--they replaced intake, tps, problem came back and it turned out to be the ECM--no problems since.

Reactions: raconnol

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just be thankful it happened within the warranty period and not out of pocket. I would almost guarantee the gauges being irradic was not caused by the tranny.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just be thankful it happened within the warranty period and not out of pocket. I would almost guarantee the gauges being irradic was not caused by the tranny.
The ECU causing the erratic gauges is a valid assumption in my opinion.

I just called up the dealer after re-reading these notes and let the service manager know that swapping out the ECU while we are waiting for a transmission might be a good idea. The manager did confirm they checked the ECU for trouble codes and found none.

I have dealt with this manager and most of his staff for years and so far they have been good to work with. So I will be interested what they find out next week if they have an ECU in stock to test out this theory.

I am still wondering why erratic shifting would end as soon as the transmission warmed up. At least it did every time before the last trip, when after the transmission did warm up, it slipped so badly as to almost require full throttle to climb a very mild hill.

This last trip was certainly the worst, and the transmission oil got hot enough that it definitely stunk when I opened the door to get out. So even if the ECU was in initial problem, I am not going to feel too bad about getting a new transmission.

At the end of the day, if a faulty ECU did cause a serious transmission failure/damage, then I would be concerned that it could happen again, only this time off warranty.

Thanks again for everyone's input and feedback on my "little" issue.

Rick

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Hmmmm, mine is shifting hard, and I wonder if my ECM is acting up. Also it idles funny sometimes and is jumpy sometimes. Tonight, I put my truck in neutral and revved at my Fiance as I passed her, then I put it back in D and hit the gas like regular to just keep going the same speed, my tranny slipped and revved up, then caught and went into gear. My truck has been driving funny ever since I did one mod that had to do with wiring, I wonder if my ECM is screwed up. How do you check that? Will it throw a normal code that can be checked by the consult machine at the dealers?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
How would a BCM (Body Control Module) affect Shifting. It is basically a Fuse/Relay Center. I would suspect ECU/TCU. BCM not quite making sense to me. Not a Nissan Tech though.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Probably TCU, Can I get this reset at the dealer? Something is going on in my trans, and I don't like it. Trans failure may be iminent (sp?)....Thank goodness I can get them for a good price on ebay, but it would suck to have my trans fail after the $250 shift kit gets installed, if I could get it back to normal shifting, I would feel good about it

·
Registered
456 Posts
How would a BCM (Body Control Module) affect Shifting. It is basically a Fuse/Relay Center. I would suspect ECU/TCU. BCM not quite making sense to me. Not a Nissan Tech though.
I was referencing that for the gauges acting weird not the trans.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Probably TCU, Can I get this reset at the dealer? Something is going on in my trans, and I don't like it. Trans failure may be iminent (sp?)....Thank goodness I can get them for a good price on ebay, but it would suck to have my trans fail after the $250 shift kit gets installed, if I could get it back to normal shifting, I would feel good about it
I will ask the techs on monday.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well if I lived in Edmonton, every day this side of July and Auguest would be below 0 and the truck would have not got off of the lot! :+)

We are expecting snow this weekend... ok, 2 cm is a real big thing out here, so stop laughing, and my 4x4 is in the shop. :crying:

Yeah, I grew up in Calgary and drove highway tractors well north of Fort Mac. so I do know what real snow and ice roads looks like at 48 below.

Rick
We get above zero after August it was actually 30 for a week in October believe it or not!. Then you know what were going through right now with it being -45 and yeah 2 cm is nothin here but it's a foot for people in BC near the coast.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We get above zero after August it was actually 30 for a week in October believe it or not!. Then you know what were going through right now with it being -45 and yeah 2 cm is nothin here but it's a foot for people in BC near the coast.
I do still have family in Calgary and friends in Edmonton, none of which are too pleased with this week's cold weather records. My wife and I are off to Calgary for Christmas, so we will get a little taste of the Great White North.

The good news, for me anyway, the new transmission was at the dealership yesterday, so with any luck the truck will be up and running this week.

Rick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts