Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After finally taking care of the brakes myself, and feeling good again about my Titan again, yet another problem arises! A few days ago I noticed a strange buzzing sound in the morning when the engine was cold (sounded like a kazoo in the engine/transmission). The sound disappeared after a mile or so when the temperatures came a bit. Then the next day the buzzing didn't go away at all, I drove it for about an hour, stopping to do some shopping, then drove home. Half way home I also started getting a bad shudder when I pulled away from stops. This was very disappointing since we were planning to take the truck on a trip this weekend...We ended up cramming 5 of us in our Honda Accord for the trip...Chalk up another trip this truck has let me down on :( It turns out that it was a good idea to leave the truck at home too, because when I took it in for service today the tech said it barely made it into the service bay! End result is, they will be putting in a new (probably re-built) transmission. Very disappointed :crying:

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
How many miles on your Titan?
Did you ever change the fluid, and if so, was it a complete flush, or just a pan drain?
Why a rebuilt transmission?

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I feel for ya, this kind of stuff is really a buzz kill. I can see by your photos you keep your truck up. I was just wondering what kind of mileage you have on her and how you are on routine maintenance. I am an absolute freak about routine and preventative maintenance and I shouldn't be. I usually trade at about 30,000 miles. Maybe I am helping out the next guy. I hope your luck turns around and you get some "good" time in your ride.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NorCal 4x4 said:
How many miles on your Titan?
Did you ever change the fluid, and if so, was it a complete flush, or just a pan drain?
Why a rebuilt transmission?
Sadly, only 33K on the truck and I have not towed a thing (my hitch is still in the wrapper), but I have hauled some loads in the bed on occasion.
I've been diligent with the maintenance on this vehicle so yes, I have adhered to the regular intervals in the service manual. Plus, as some know, when I first got the truck it kindly dumped all its transmission fluid at 73 miles thanks to a blown transmission cooler line...Now I am wondering if there is a correlation?? Anyway, my comments regarding a re-built was just my sarcasm. I don't know exactly what they are going to do, but I'll keep ya posted.

luvbelly, did you lease yours? I wish I could have traded mine in at 30K:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
I know a couple of Nissan techs ,and based on what they have told me, they dont install rebuilt parts for warranty work so hopfully you get a factory fresh unit.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
abmobil said:
I know a couple of Nissan techs ,and based on what they have told me, they dont install rebuilt parts for warranty work so hopfully you get a factory fresh unit.
Well, I got the truck back and, not surprisingly, they DID use a rebuilt transmission. It was a three day turnaround and so far no issues. I just hope I didn't inherit someone else's problem! Time will tell is guess

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
ughhh, sorry Sarkaz.... i've had my engine blow and completely replaced so i feel your pain, but regardless, love my truck like no other... yeah, i'd think there was a correlation between the blown tranny cooler hose and the blown tranny... who's to say you didn't drive it and damage the tranny only accelerating whatever damage caused the premature blown tranny.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i have an 06 kc 4x2 and this is the kind of **** that worries me since i only have 8,500 miles in the year and a half of owning it. i think i will be way out of warranty when something of this nature, and expensive, pops up. :mad:

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
My advice would be to flush the tranny at 30000, my fluid color was reddish brown and she shifts better now. I drive mine like it's rented and race it regularly and will post my problems when and if I have any. So far nothing, I love this this truck and she is a beast on wheels and built to take abuse. I do have the Tru Trac and won't have any rear end failures so I think the tranny is the weakest link now but so far just a regular fluid flush and she's shifting great. Merry Xmas everyone.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've got a stack of track slips from my truck and it pulls a 6500 lb trailer....as a matter of fact it pulled if from California to South Dakota and back.

My tranny seems as happy as day 1 with 20000 on her.

·
Super Moderator
35,723 Posts
gabriel c. said:
i have an 06 kc 4x2 and this is the kind of **** that worries me since i only have 8,500 miles in the year and a half of owning it. i think i will be way out of warranty when something of this nature, and expensive, pops up. :mad:
Don't worry, be happy that your truck runs great right now.

Some dope may take your truck out while parked like happened to one of our members just the other day or scratch it up real good in a parking lot, that happens all the time.

Should you lie awake at night worrying about it?

I don't think so.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hooligan said:
ughhh, sorry Sarkaz.... i've had my engine blow and completely replaced so i feel your pain, but regardless, love my truck like no other... yeah, i'd think there was a correlation between the blown tranny cooler hose and the blown tranny... who's to say you didn't drive it and damage the tranny only accelerating whatever damage caused the premature blown tranny.
Hey Hooli, I suspect blown cooler lines had something to do with it too, even though the service techs said that it would be ok after the incident and that "the computers" would have disengaged the transmission before damage could be done...LOL, yeah, ok.

Also, noted on my paperwork for the transmission replacement was the fluid was burnt...even though I just had regular maintenance done...which included new transmission fluid.

Go Chargers!!!!

gabriel c. said:
i have an 06 kc 4x2 and this is the kind of **** that worries me since i only have 8,500 miles in the year and a half of owning it. i think i will be way out of warranty when something of this nature, and expensive, pops up.
The only good thing is the powertrain has a 6 yr/60,000 mile warranty, not the weaker 3/36K basic warranty. And yes, it would be expensive...the warranty charge was $3,360, after an $800 core exchange for the old transmission.

Needless to say, I am no longer going to take it easy on this truck! I'd rather it fail sooner than later!

And yes, no worries...:rancher:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Maybe after the cooler line blew the dealership didn't put more ATF in to account for the fluid lost. You know how dealerships are, they want you in and out as soon as possible. Who knows, maybe you have been driving around without enough fluid in there.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
desertruner09 said:
Maybe after the cooler line blew the dealership didn't put more ATF in to account for the fluid lost. You know how dealerships are, they want you in and out as soon as possible. Who knows, maybe you have been driving around without enough fluid in there.
Anything is possible, but considering that they kept the truck for 2 days and discussed the issue directly with the factory and the "quality engineers", I would assume that there was NO fluid in the tranny when they got it...so they had to put some in it...Plus it was recently serviced, just 4500 miles ago.

By the way, the cooler lines blew off (@ 73 miles) because the factory left an "alignment tool" on the cooler lines, which didn't allow the lines to thermally expand...hence they blew off...at least that was the story I got. It took 2 days because the dealer had not received their machine for replacing the fluid that is specific to the Titan. True or BS...you decide!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
SarkaZm said:
Hey Hooli, I suspect blown cooler lines had something to do with it too, even though the service techs said that it would be ok after the incident and that "the computers" would have disengaged the transmission before damage could be done...LOL, yeah, ok.

Also, noted on my paperwork for the transmission replacement was the fluid was burnt...even though I just had regular maintenance done...which included new transmission fluid.

Go Chargers!!!!
heck yeah, you see the Bolts kick the Donkeys' A$$ last night? great game! anyheww, yeah, was changing my oil earlier this year and when i was underneath, as always i inspect everything on the underbelly, when i noticed the tranny line cooler hose was leaking. had it replaced and had them flush the tranny fluid out and the rear diff fluid as well. who's to say had i not done the visual inspection that it didn't prevent a somewhat minor catastrophic event, which could have lead to a major failure. so yeah, i'm thinking there is some correlation. btw, i've currently got a softball sized dent in my tranny pan, thank god i do my own oil changes that it gives me a chance to inspect everything. dent came from catching some air whilst offroading and casing a jump... hehe

·
Registered
118 Posts
I guarantee some tech at the Nissan Canton plant got reamed for leaving that install tool on the cooler line. I worked for Nissan powertrain for 12 years in Quality, Manufacturing, and Engineering positions and they can trace problems like that back to who was working that job installing the cooler lines and addressed that occurence if you know what I mean:bangit:

I've got a theory on what ended up trashing the tranny; When the cooler line blew off (because of the install tool left on the line coupler) and the transmission pumped all the atf out of the system the transmission overheated. Nissan repaired the leak, refilled, did some in-vehicle test to confirm proper operation, inspected the new atf (color and burnt smell), checked codes, and with everything OK returned it to the customer. There was really no need to replace the tranny at this point since the overheat may have not been severe enough to cause solenoid damage in the throttle body.

The buzzing sound you then started hearing was a throttle body solenoid cycling continuously not allowing a full shift from gear to gear causing the clutch pack(s) controlled by the defective solenoid to fully engage. The affected clutch pack(s) quickly proceeded to burn up to the point that tranny started slipping...kaput...tranny trashed.

Can't really be sure if the initial overheat could have caused the solenoid to go bad early but it's very likely. The solenoids are electrical components with rubber o-rings and can only stand to get so hot before it's function could be degraded. The TCU controls the solenoids and if one of them isn't performing properly the TCU can't help.

A rebuilt tranny is referred to a remanufactured tranny and isn't a bad thing. The remanufacturing process is very strict and controlled and results in a product that approaches the quality of a brand new factory tranny.

Main thing to avoid tranny problems is to change out your atf on the recommended interval to make sure your fluids additive package is up to snuff, and to make sure and check your atf fluid level at least at every oil change and ALWAYS smell the atf. If it has a burnt smell to it and it's not getting close to time to change it, it's time to be concerned. Something is not allowing the throttle body assembly to not shift a clutch pack quickly and the clutch plates are burning. How fast the clutches burn depends on how severe the throttle body problem is. Usually a piece of trash or galling of the throttle body or defective solenoid causes the spools to stick or slow down their movement, which controls the speed of the clutch pack engagement. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
BassTow said:
I guarantee some tech at the Nissan Canton plant got reamed for leaving that install tool on the cooler line. I worked for Nissan powertrain for 12 years in Quality, Manufacturing, and Engineering positions and they can trace problems like that back to who was working that job installing the cooler lines and addressed that occurence if you know what I mean:bangit:

I've got a theory on what ended up trashing the tranny; When the cooler line blew off (because of the install tool left on the line coupler) and the transmission pumped all the atf out of the system the transmission overheated. Nissan repaired the leak, refilled, did some in-vehicle test to confirm proper operation, inspected the new atf (color and burnt smell), checked codes, and with everything OK returned it to the customer. There was really no need to replace the tranny at this point since the overheat may have not been severe enough to cause solenoid damage in the throttle body.

The buzzing sound you then started hearing was a throttle body solenoid cycling continuously not allowing a full shift from gear to gear causing the clutch pack(s) controlled by the defective solenoid to fully engage. The affected clutch pack(s) quickly proceeded to burn up to the point that tranny started slipping...kaput...tranny trashed.

Can't really be sure if the initial overheat could have caused the solenoid to go bad early but it's very likely. The solenoids are electrical components with rubber o-rings and can only stand to get so hot before it's function could be degraded. The TCU controls the solenoids and if one of them isn't performing properly the TCU can't help.

A rebuilt tranny is referred to a remanufactured tranny and isn't a bad thing. The remanufacturing process is very strict and controlled and results in a product that approaches the quality of a brand new factory tranny.

Main thing to avoid tranny problems is to change out your atf on the recommended interval to make sure your fluids additive package is up to snuff, and to make sure and check your atf fluid level at least at every oil change and ALWAYS smell the atf. If it has a burnt smell to it and it's not getting close to time to change it, it's time to be concerned. Something is not allowing the throttle body assembly to not shift a clutch pack quickly and the clutch plates are burning. How fast the clutches burn depends on how severe the throttle body problem is. Usually a piece of trash or galling of the throttle body or defective solenoid causes the spools to stick or slow down their movement, which controls the speed of the clutch pack engagement. Hope this helps.
amazing! made things clear for me that's for sure! so how bout a shallow softball sized dent in a transmission pan on a titan. rush to get it fixed or get it done when time allows? :teethmast

1 - 20 of 40 Posts