Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little advice: Anyone out there know the torque specs for the pan bolts on the transmission? What are guys using to clean the screen? Is it OK to change it myself or do you recommend taking it in and getting the full flush, etc. I have a 2005 Titan with 30,000 miles. Changing to full synthetic (Amsoil Universal ATF fully synthetic). Thanks

Shane

·
Registered
226 Posts
know that if you use anything other than nissan matic-j, the dealer COULD give you a hassle on any warrenty work if you wind up having problems. you have to be able to show that the fluid you use is as good or better than the matic-j stuff. i'm not saying you can't use a different fluid... just keep that in mind.

also, if you change yourself, you're not actually changing it all. i can't remember how much you get out of the pans... but it's only a portion of the full 11 quarts (is that right gents?) that the whole tranny takes.

if i were you, i'd just pay the dealer (or whoever) to flush it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The pan will only get so much out like 6 qts or so. You will have to measure what comes out so you know how much to put in. You could get the complete flush but make the delaer that does it uses a Nissan majIC J dedicated machine only. If you take it to Joe Blow's who know's what will get flushed thru the tranny and get left behind. You could drop the pan every 20-30 k and keep replacing and refilling. I plan to do it like that untill I get 100 k and then get a flush. If your not doing crazy towing or drag racing, it might be a good option for you. Just my .02 and I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Our transmissions are also used in RWD Kia's. Maybe we can get Kia matic-j at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just thought you might like to know the Nissan dealer where I go does not use Matic-J, they use Castrol trans fluid. The factory reps will not recommend anything but Matic-J; Iam sure you can understand why.

·
Registered
14 Posts
SirKeats said:
also, if you change yourself, you're not actually changing it all. i can't remember how much you get out of the pans... but it's only a portion of the full 11 quarts (is that right gents?) that the whole tranny takes.

if i were you, i'd just pay the dealer (or whoever) to flush it.
I was told the same thing about Matic-J/Warranty. I had mine changed with Matic J fluid and it took 10 quarts for the change. I was also told that the Matic J fluid was basic trane fluid with Nissan's name on it. I originally wanted to use Amsoil trane fluid until I was told about the warranty issue and changed my mind to the Matic J. Matic J was a dollar higher in cost than Amsoil.

Mcgruff 465

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Awhile back, Castrol listed its fluid as Nissan compatible or had a Castrol Jmatic in bulk. I called my Baltimore Castrol distibutor, but could not get any solid info out of them. They referred the question to a engineer somewhere else who called me back about it. IIR, Amsoil now claims J Matic Classification. My dealer in Annapolis and the dealer i went to in Wilmington, NC last week, both use the BG Brand machine. They don't offer Jmatic fluid. The dealer in Wilmington said the BG was a better fluid, and it had its usual additive listed as part of the deal. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a J Matic specific fluid to use from BG.

The real issue is claimed to be problem with reaction to some yellow metals in the JATCO Trans. Brass/Copper, being a problem with most universal fluids.

BG offers some sort of 150,000 Trans Warranty if you do it every 30K. Don't know exact details, haven't read it yet. But dealer provided the service, so what can you worry about? Cost was $159. Excellent service provided, and great service department facility too! :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tom's Titan said:
Just thought you might like to know the Nissan dealer where I go does not use Matic-J, they use Castrol trans fluid. The factory reps will not recommend anything but Matic-J; Iam sure you can understand why.
Depends on the dealer sir.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was going to add a thread about the tranny fluid to ask about the matic-J but I see there is one. My dealer told me today that my fluid needs to be changed but they would have to use a certain kind which they said costs a little more. The matic-J. They said the wrong transmission fluid could damage the transmission. Whatever. However I'm not rich enough to afford another tranny just cause I'm trying to save a few dollars. He told me if would run about $169 for the change/flush. I still might check with other places.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I just went to minikee or however its spelled and they told me $69 to do the flush after looking up my truck they said that they dont carry the matic j and that I would need to go get it from nissan and they would take the price of the fluid off the flush. While I was at nissan dealer they told me to have them flush it it would be like $260 bucks. I asked how much per quart of the fluid and its like 9bucks per quart. This is BULL SHIZ!!!! Anyone know if I can use anything else and not hurt the trans?

·
Registered
65 Posts
As far as the drain and refill verses flush service: Take a glass of muddy water, now pour out a 1/4 of it, then fill back up with clean water, what do you have? A glass full of muddy water! Do the flush.....

As far as the fluid, you might contact the technical dept. of the fluid that you are wanting to run and see if it is compatible with the Titan....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Why risk using a different kind of fluid? Either pay a couple extra bucks for Matic J or buy a new trans. Which one would be cheaper do you think??? Anyways, do the flush. Draining a few quarts and cleaning the screen will not get you anywhere unless you drain and fill one after another.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
MaxLife trans fluid claims to be good for trannies that require Matic j fluid. I sent an email to them to question that and they sent back that there were no warranty issues with their fluid in Titan trannies. Their fluid states on the bottle that it is good for trannies requiring matic j. Cost is $3.50 a quart. I am going to use MaxLife on my next flush. Nissan cannot require the use of their specific fluid unless they supply it free. Nissan has to prove the fluid you used is the reason for the trannie problem. I told my dealer I was using MaxLife and he said if it claims replacement with Matic j, they have to accept it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
CMBTITAN6 said:
As far as the drain and refill verses flush service: Take a glass of muddy water, now pour out a 1/4 of it, then fill back up with clean water, what do you have? A glass full of muddy water! Do the flush.....

As far as the fluid, you might contact the technical dept. of the fluid that you are wanting to run and see if it is compatible with the Titan....
I have had mine changed twice at the dealer. Both times they said it is too expensive to flush with J Matic so they just replace what comes out. I have 116K on the ticker and I don't notice any problem. Should I be worried?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts