Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was changing the oil this weekend I noticed a leak around the radiator. I dropped it off at my mechanic and he told me that the transmission coolant hose inside the radiator broke. Letting transmission fluid go through the radiator and radiator coolant get into the transmission. He said he could not believe they did not have a separate coolant system for the transmission.

I am waiting to hear back from him if the transmission is damaged. He said he was nervous about ever getting the system completely flushed out again. I have read this happening to a few members. I was wondering if you still have your truck and if you have had any additional problems?

Its a 2004 Titan LE off road with 70,000. Some people think I should trade it in but that's not really an option for me right now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The trans cooler is in front of the radiator.It is seperate.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had a line on mine blow and the trans wouldn't shift properly at all. Lost 3 quarts, filled it back in ran like new.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The trans cooler circulates through the radiator and through the separate trans cooler. The primary purpose of circulating through the radiator is to raise the ATF temp to operating levels more quickly in cold weather. You can bypass the radiator by re-routing the hoses, but you may have problems in cold climates.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
The trans cooler circulates through the radiator and through the separate trans cooler. The primary purpose of circulating through the radiator is to raise the ATF temp to operating levels more quickly in cold weather. You can bypass the radiator by re-routing the hoses, but you may have problems in cold climates.
Is there a write up on this? I don't think I'll have a problem with cold climate down here.

·
Registered
779 Posts
He said he could not believe they did not have a separate coolant system for the transmission.

Most cars are like this, with a trans cooler in the radiator, this is nothing new. It not only helps cool, but helps warm up the fluid when cold. The real cooling comes from the second cooler, the air cooler between the radiator and the AC condensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts