Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. So I have been having some transmission issues for about a year or two now and would like some input. About a year or so ago I started to notice that the transmission in my 2006 XE 4x4 was shifting rough and making odd noises. Well I would look under the hood for the transmission dipstick, mine had a nut and screw holding the stopped style cap down and when I checked the manuals I was told that it was a closed system and would be warned of an issue by a dash light. The dash light never came on and the issues got worse and worse, to the point I heard clanging and odd noises. So I decided to check the fluid anyway and found that it was all bone dry. Added about four or five quarts and the transmission seemed to level out but would still shift hard.

I took it into the shop a couple days later and they had to add another quart of fluid. But they couldn't find any leaks or any cross contamination or signs of damage, or so they reported. They also said that they had to scan the transmission board about three times to even see the rotational speed code that was stuck in memory (not sure what they meant by this). They said the transmission was just slowly dieing and would eventually just give out.

A few months later I started to notice the same issues especially when it was cold out. Again no visible leaks. I checked the fluid and dry again. This time I took it to a different repair shop and was told that I had three leaks. One at the transmission to trans-cooler lines, one at the front output seal of the torque converter and one at the slip yoke. The shop also said that by it running with fluid issues I have damaged clutches etc inside. They quoted me about 5500 bucks to repair and rebuild it all; leaks, trans and brand new slip yoke, plus tax. I called a third shop and they said that at the amount of miles the truck has the transmission is at the end of its rope and will be about 5000 no matter what to refurbish it at any shop I go to.

The truck has 196,000 miles on it and has the titan tick and a couple other small issues. But my worry lies in how many miles can I expect out of the truck and is it worth putting in double what I owe still on the loan for the truck. Especially when money is tight at the moment. Or should I look at replacing the truck?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Likely your best option is a low mileage used trans. You'll have to find one from a truck configured similarly to yours, and I think it needs to have the same differential gear ratio, but I'm not positive on that. You can probably get one for under $1500, and toss in another $500 or so for the install. You'll need it programmed by the dealership or a reputable trans shop, so call around for that price.

Only you can decide whether that's worth the price. Not sure what you mean by "Titan tick" but if you mean it has an exhaust manifold leak, you're going to want to fix that or it will likely destroy your motor. That's another $500-1500 in parts, and either a full day of turning wrenches yourself, or a few hundred in install costs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input. I will keep an eye out. I keep finding remanufactured ones but they want a lot for those too. About 2000 at some online parts places. But will keep looking.

just curious how long the motors usually last. Don’t really want to male a snap decision so just want to get all the info I can.

The Titan tick was a term I heard on a forum page to explain the blend door actuators clicking as the wore out. Like when you changed vent position you hear tick tick tick.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Ahhh...not a motor tick. Gotcha.

Motors on these trucks are good and strong. I've seen plenty go beyond 250k. I'm hoping to get that out of mine, and then some. But you never know with any motor above 200k.

As for transmissions, take a look at this link:

I had to guess at your configuration, but if I guessed wrong, just click the "Transmission Transaxle" link in the search lineage at the top of the page, and you can select the correct configuration. Don't worry about locking or not locking diff, as it really doesn't matter. Just get the right gear ratio (big tow or non-big tow), and 4x4, and timeframe. Looks like parts are going to run you somewhere around $1200 (for a trans with 43k on it), plus install and programming. Not cheap, but shouldn't be $2k either, I don't think, at a non-dealership shop.

Reactions: Jamjo
1 - 4 of 4 Posts