Nissan Titan Forum banner

Transmission Mount's NISSAN (2004) TITAN LE 4X4

1105 9
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and after finalizing my divorce I treated myself to a new 2004 Nissan Titan LE around 6 months after Nissan first put the Titan on the market. I couldn't resist buying it after sitting in and test-driving the Ford and Dodge due to the interior size, torque, and look of the first-generation Titan. I just couldn't pass it up.

I purchased it loaded thinking it would be the last truck I'd own for years to come. As a result, I wanted to get it loaded so I had a 6" lift installed, Boyd Coddington's with 35" M+S tires, the off-road package, leather, upgraded Bose sound system, and made use of it by taking yearly trips to Tahoe when it snowed as well as towing our 28' trailer up North for camping trips with the wife, kids, and dog.
Tire Vehicle Plant Wheel Car

Well, it's now 2022, I only have 131k on it and I still love my truck. But, being the first generation I've run into a number of different issues. The one that's gotten under my skin the most though has been the "Transmission Mount".

I've had to replace my "Transmission Mount" now 3 different times and am soon to have to replace the 4th. I've tried to figure out if the reason I've had to replace mine this many times is due to having the truck lifted or, possibly poor design by Nissan due to the torque. I still wonder if there's been a stronger, higher-end Transmission Mount that's since been built or designed to resolve this and if I'm the only one that's had problems like this. Maybe I drive my truck too hard.

I can tell when it's gone or is going bad because as soon as I hit the gas I feel that loud thump in-between the driver and passenger's front seats directly underneath the center divider above the transmission.

I'm open to everyone's thoughts, ideas, and suggestions as to what might be causing this.

Thanks,
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
It's the lift angle. Too much upward thrust on the tail of the transmission. Best option to mitigate it is likely a set of traction bars.

Reactions: Hntndad

·
Registered
802 Posts
Gotta be the lift.
I have 90K on my 07, tuned, and I drive like an asshat, trans mount is still solid. OG too.

Reactions: smalldog

·
Registered
2011 SV CC 4X4 in Scarlet Red
112 Posts
I also have a 6" lift and I've had to tighten the trans mount bolts back down that bolt the trans mount to the transmission. Same clunking noise, noise is gone after tightening bolts. I have also order a 1.25" spacer to see if I can push my driveline back into my transmission tail shaft a bit more. I've read on this site about greasing the yoke? I might try that also when I install my spacer. I also agree with these guys above about changing the original design by installing a lift.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gotta be the lift.
I have 90K on my 07, tuned, and I drive like an asshat, trans mount is still solid. OG too.
Gotta be the lift I agree,, I’m with TurboDA6 here,, I have an 07 with over 200k, no lift, 2wd I have drove since new (06-07 🤔) like a crazy person, and now my son drives pretty heavy and still the OEM original trans mount on there, no issues at all.

Didn’t even know it was a “thing” on gen 1s, shame good damn trucks. My 07’ been of the best pickups I’ve ever owned 💯💯💯💯💯🙏🏻💯💯💯💯💯

Good luck man I would suggest maybe a newer OEM one? See if that’s better maybe? Either way man good looking truck there we gonna keep ours for good.

·
Registered
2012 Pro4x
73 Posts
There have been some who have switched to a Frontier trans mount with some success. It's supposed to bolt right up. It looks like it would. It appears to be a beefier design. My '12 is lifted 6" also, but Pro Comp supplied a driveline spacer that I installed with the lift. Haven't had any troubles for about 30k miles since the lift was done. Also, if he's still in business, there's a guy who makes aftermarket suspension pieces for Nissans and Toyotas who has a polyurethane bolt through mount that has had some success, but also mixed reviews. It looked tough, but no telling how some folks beat their rigs, or if there are other issues. I can't think of the name of his business. I think it's just a guy who builds the stuff in his garage & sells it on his website. I've bought a few things from him before. Always top notch stuff, but I haven't done the transmission mount on thus truck. I can't remember his business name at the moment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
With a 6" lift the driveshaft is not in proper alignment. Take the truck to a quality driveline repair facility and they will correct the problem on you shaft to bring if back to the correct depth in the yoke and angles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts