Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice today I had a problem where the indicator showed the truck was in DRIVE, but the transmission was in NEUTRAL. The first time it happened, I shifted back to PARK, then back to DRIVE and all was well. The second time it happened, I just shifted to what I thought would be 4, but the indicator still showed DRIVE and I could feel the transmission shift into DRIVE.

Very disconcerting! Has anyone else seen this?

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
superdave said:
Twice today I had a problem where the indicator showed the truck was in DRIVE, but the transmission was in NEUTRAL. The first time it happened, I shifted back to PARK, then back to DRIVE and all was well. The second time it happened, I just shifted to what I thought would be 4, but the indicator still showed DRIVE and I could feel the transmission shift into DRIVE.

David
yes, or something similar. The selector will indicate the truck is in drive when its in neutral. I have to mkae sure it clicks into place. cant rely on the indicator.

·
Registered
497 Posts
:rofl: :rofl: :rollingsm

·
Registered
109 Posts
superdave said:

David
David,

You have the same package I have with the column shift right? The only way I can go to anything below D is by pushing the button on the end of the shifter to put it in manual mode which drops it to 4th and then, using the thumb switch, go to 3rd, 2nd and 1st. I don't even look at the indicator going to D, I just take it all the way to the bottom and it goes to the D (so far). I assume the gated shifter works the same way or can you actually shift down with the shifter? Anyone?

·
Registered
93 Posts
SoldOnNissan said:
David,

You have the same package I have with the column shift right? The only way I can go to anything below D is by pushing the button on the end of the shifter to put it in manual mode which drops it to 4th and then, using the thumb switch, go to 3rd, 2nd and 1st. I don't even look at the indicator going to D, I just take it all the way to the bottom and it goes to the D (so far). I assume the gated shifter works the same way or can you actually shift down with the shifter? Anyone?
I have the gated shifter and you can shift all the way down to 1st gear. No buttons to down shift.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I have the same package. I hadn't noticed that you could not down shift to 4 using the column shift.

I guess that means the transmission was in NEUTRAL, but the shift indicator was in "D". There is a problem somewhere, but it's intermittent, therefore I probably will not be able to make it happen in from of the service tech.

Thanks,
David

SoldOnNissan said:
David,

·
Registered
109 Posts
Canteen Titan said:
I have the gated shifter and you can shift all the way down to 1st gear. No buttons to down shift.
Thanks for the reply Canteen Titan. See, that's what assumptions get you! Ok - one more question - isn't the actual shifting (our shifting) accomplished electrically rather than by mechanical link on all the Titan 5 spd. automatics or am I somewhere out in left field?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not an expert however I think you are correct about the shifting being electrical versus mechanical. Considering it's electronic drive by wire and the electronic locking diff, it would only make sense this would be electronic as well. BUT since this is a 5 speed automatic, I believe there are 5 gears or cogs in the transmission unlike some out there. I had an Explorer that had a "5-spd automatic" however the 5th gear was an electronic function so basically it was a 4spd auto w/OD - or something like that.

Anyone out there who can confirm or correct me?

:cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's happened to me a couple of times where the indicator shows drive but the truck is still in neutral.
I also wanted to know why I can't down-shift below drive on the column shifter?

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can, hit the manual button on the end of the stalk. It drops you to 4th then you "flick up and down as desired".

I am actually getting use to putting this in gear, I don't look at the indicatior I drop the stalk ALL THE WAY DOWN, that is "D". It's taking awhile to retrain my brain that this is not first gear. Of course if I get too comfortable with it, there may be problems if I forget with any other auto.

christitan said:
It's happened to me a couple of times where the indicator shows drive but the truck is still in neutral.
I also wanted to know why I can't down-shift below drive on the column shifter?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts