Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Nissan Titan and everytime I have to back out of a park spot or Ifi just out it in reverse its takes along time to kick in or I have to force it in by pushing down the gas pedal. But when my truck is cold it would go in to reverse with no problem. The fluid is up to date. I can't figure it out. Maybe one of y'all could help me?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sounds like an issue that will take a good shop to diagnose for you, but perhaps first things first.

Make sure the trans fluid is at the correct operating level with the transmission hot. Check for any signs that it is not the correct color. Nissan J will be sort of clearish, and aftermarket, usually red, but you probably know that. Any signs of coolant in the trans fluid (looks sort of like a milkshake) or dark, burnt fluid and/or odor wouldn't be good, of course. If the radiator fails internally, it can allow coolant to enter the trans fluid cooler circuit, so that's a worry until the trans fluid is checked out OK.

If you've already checked all that, then I think it's time to head into the shop, unfortunately.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I went to my nearest autozone today. I asked them if they can check my truck cause my check engine light has been on. And what they told me is that there wasn't nothing wrong with my transmission. He told me it might be my neutral safety switch! So do y'all think that's the problem??

·
Registered
559 Posts
No, I don't think that has anything to do with the transmission reverse problem you first described.

The neutral safety switch keeps the truck from starting in any gear except Park (neutral), so that you can't start the truck in Drive or Reverse gears, as a safety measure. Are you having intermittent starting problems? That could be a neutral safety switch, but I'm not thinking that's your issue.

When you were at A-Z, did the parts guy tell you what the code was that set the CEL? Should be a Pxxxx code. If you can tell us what the code is, that would help diagnose what's setting the CEL. It may not have anything to do with the transmission problem described in your first post, but you should know what it is and probably take care of it.

AutoZone parts guys may not be the best guys to help diagnose issues with transmissions...

·
Registered
289 Posts
As mentioned above I would find a reputable transmission shop to take your truck to and have them diagnose it, ask them to check the line pressure on the transmission.

Had to rebuild my transmission last yr due to a snap ring for the reverse pack that had come out of place and allowed a piston to travel in excess which burnt up a clutch pack and destroyed that piston. There is a replacement snapring that is double the thickness of the OE to prevent this on a rebuild.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts