Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has a little over 60,000 miles now and I haven't done anything as far as replacing the transmission fluid. My 2 choices are as follows

1.) Drain and refill the tranny fluid over the next few oil changes

2.) Get it flushed. Dealer claims to have a fancy new flushing machine with some chemical that goes through the tranny during that flush process that is supposed to clean any varnish off of the components.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Draining the fluid only gets about 1/3 of the fluid in the tranny. You're better off getting it flushed, especially if you've got that many miles on it without ever having it done.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackbeauty said:
Draining the fluid only gets about 1/3 of the fluid in the tranny. You're better off getting it flushed, especially if you've got that many miles on it without ever having it done.
Have you had it done?

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
PRJ said:
Have you had it done?
Not yet. Only at 26000 miles. I'll have it done at the 30000 mile service.

But I read a lot of threads on here and I did stay at a Holiday Inn express recently..... :jester:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
LMAO!!! Good one blackbeauty!! :jester: :jester:

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
Not yet. Only at 26000 miles. I'll have it done at the 30000 mile service.

But I read a lot of threads on here and I did stay at a Holiday Inn express recently..... :jester:

HAHAHA at BB's comment!!!

This is a recommended service at 30000 and like already said, just draining it only gets about a third of the fluid exchanged!!! I would recommend the flushing at the dealer!!!:)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Got mine done at the dealer with my old 04, was cheap enough. Think it was like 89bucks each time.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
I waited until 50K to do my tranny flush.....Rutt Rohh....

Still going strong though !!!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was told by the manager of a transmission shop not to flush a transmission but to drain it and change the filter. I do not remember exactly why a flush is bad but it had something to do with the flush removing residue and/or magnets needed for the transmission.

Has anyone else been told this?

white

·
Registered
196 Posts
Find a shop with a T-Tech machine and take your own OEM fluid. T-Techs have a big clear plastic tube with a moveable plastic divider inside. New fluid goes on top of the divider and they hook into your tranny cooler lines so that the pressure line goes into the bottom of the big tube and the return to the tranny is on the top side (filled with new fluid) of the divider. The pressure from the tranny pushes the old fluid into the bottom of the big tube and new replacement fluid is drawn into the tranny. They can't mix because of the plastic divider. It is really slick and replaces almost all the tranny fluid with new. Not sure if the dealers have these or something similar. If the dealer doesn't have it then don't let the shop use the generic fluid they supply.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
whiteLE said:
I was told by the manager of a transmission shop not to flush a transmission but to drain it and change the filter. I do not remember exactly why a flush is bad but it had something to do with the flush removing residue and/or magnets needed for the transmission.

Has anyone else been told this?

white
My 97 Pathfinder has 460,000 miles. I have never removed the pan and filter. I have had the tranny flushed every 30,000 miles. The tranny still works like new.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
SOCALTITANKC4X4LE said:
My 97 Pathfinder has 460,000 miles. I have never removed the pan and filter. I have had the tranny flushed every 30,000 miles. The tranny still works like new.:cheers:
That is what you call - Dependable !!!! Awesome !!!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
redneckpapa1996 said:
That is what you call - Dependable !!!! Awesome !!!:cheers:
That's why I buy Nissans!

:cheers:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I changed my transmission fluid two weeks ago and it went great. Got 10 quarts out of it in all.

I first drained pan and got 4-5 quarts out. Then refilled the transmission with exact amount that was drained.

Next, I disconnected the A/T radiator cooler line (passenger side of radiator--very important) and connected a clear 1/4 inch plastic tubing onto the radiator side end and plugged the transmission end with the same clear tubing. Then I put the end of the clear tubing into a milk jug and started the engine. The transmission oil is flushed through the torque converter, through the radiator cooler and into the milk jug. I filled one and a 1/2 milk jugs with this method and then replaced the same fluid that was removed. All and all it would pretty well.

By the way, this was done at 56,000 miles and then fluid had never been changed before and looked great--no bad odors either. The only drawback was I bought 12 quarts of the Matic J at $11 per quart--I used 11.

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
533 Posts
You don't change half your engine oil, so why would you do the same for the transmission?

I have always had good luck at the local lube shop. They charge less than $100. You can even go and buy some Royal Purple or Amsoil and have them use that.

This is what the dealer uses, but you can find it way cheaper...

www.bgfindashop.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you do a pan drain you will need 4-5 quarts. However, you must use the Matic J. I did a lot of research before changing this oil as I really wanted to use something other than the Matic J just because of the principle of the matter and how expensive that stuff is. The factory service manual recommends only Matic J. I even personally talked to our local Nissan tech and he is very knowledgable and he said don't use anything about Matic J as it can cause trouble otherwise. Some other companies (i.e. Catrol and Valvoline Maxlife) have released bulletins that say that you can use some of their oil in place of the Matic J but the problem is that you can't find anywhere that Nissan says it is OK. Furthermore, it states in many places on my truck and as well as the manual and factory service manual to only use Matic J or it will void your warranty. Maybe one could use another oil as was suggested but I didn't want to take the risk on such an expensive vehicle. On a separate note though I have to admit that the Matic J is a very good oil. After 56,000 miles it still looked quite good and didn't have any kind of a burned smell to it. The only difference between the old and new oil was that the new oil was a little brighter red in color. I have heard that it is actually a synthetic blend.

It would be best to pump the oil out of the converter and radiator but theoretically if you did a pan drain, say every 10,000 miles for 30,0000miles, then eventually you would have one clean tranny! However, then you might be up to the same cost as a flush at the dealer. I do know some people who keep their transmissions very clean this way. However, if a person had 70-100K on their oil and it hadn't ever been changed then a full flush would be in order.

It is good that you are trying to service your vehicle as it will last so much longer in the end.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
coachditka said:
You don't change half your engine oil, so why would you do the same for the transmission?

I have always had good luck at the local lube shop. They charge less than $100. You can even go and buy some Royal Purple or Amsoil and have them use that.

This is what the dealer uses, but you can find it way cheaper...

www.bgfindashop.com
Because you don't "flush" your engine oil.

In the past I have had problems with vehicles that have had the transmission flushed. Seems everything was working OK until the transmission was flushed and then the tranny went to hell. My theory is that particles in the fluid get pushed into places in the tranny they shouldn't be. Because of that, I am a little leary about this whole flushing thing. Dealer wants $170 for a flush and re-fill.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jcandrew said:
If you do a pan drain you will need 4-5 quarts. However, you must use the Matic J. I did a lot of research before changing this oil as I really wanted to use something other than the Matic J just because of the principle of the matter and how expensive that stuff is. The factory service manual recommends only Matic J. I even personally talked to our local Nissan tech and he is very knowledgable and he said don't use anything about Matic J as it can cause trouble otherwise. Some other companies (i.e. Catrol and Valvoline Maxlife) have released bulletins that say that you can use some of their oil in place of the Matic J but the problem is that you can't find anywhere that Nissan says it is OK. Furthermore, it states in many places on my truck and as well as the manual and factory service manual to only use Matic J or it will void your warranty. Maybe one could use another oil as was suggested but I didn't want to take the risk on such an expensive vehicle. On a separate note though I have to admit that the Matic J is a very good oil. After 56,000 miles it still looked quite good and didn't have any kind of a burned smell to it. The only difference between the old and new oil was that the new oil was a little brighter red in color. I have heard that it is actually a synthetic blend.

It would be best to pump the oil out of the converter and radiator but theoretically if you did a pan drain, say every 10,000 miles for 30,0000miles, then eventually you would have one clean tranny! However, then you might be up to the same cost as a flush at the dealer. I do know some people who keep their transmissions very clean this way. However, if a person had 70-100K on their oil and it hadn't ever been changed then a full flush would be in order.

It is good that you are trying to service your vehicle as it will last so much longer in the end.
I'm beyond warranty (61,xxx), so that isn't a concern right now.

I was thinking of trying Royal Purple. They list it on their website as a substitue for Matic J now available as of September 2007.

http://royalpurple.com/techa/tranxref.html

Of course Nissan isn't going to tell you to use anything else because they want you to buy fluid from them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts