Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inquiring about the quality of the transmission in the titan. I had a older Nissan where the transmission shifted hard into gear. The transmission did last me until I sold with 165,00 miles. How is the shifting on Titans transmission?

Thanks

·
Registered
727 Posts
One thing I noticed right off with my 1st drive was while just casually driving, the shift points are mapped really well & the transition is quick but smooth, very smooth. I wonder how many other Titan buyers noticed the incredible job Nissan did with this unit when compared to the competition. I’m sure you will not be disappointed. Longevity I suspect will be good since the same unit has been used in prior production models although the Titan’s was beefed up for truck work.

·
Registered
497 Posts
its very, very smooth. since im still breaking mine in i dont go over 3-4k rpms and dont even feel it shifting most of the time. well till 300 more miles then i get to wax a few hemis. :eveilgrin i did notice it shifts kinda jerky when using the steering column shifter to shift down at lower speeds. im to lazy to even use it anyhow so dont feel most shifts.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Smooooooooooooooooth.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
i've got the gated center console shifter and i have to say the ability to manually shift is really useless because like Optimist Prime said, it shifts very smooth and knows when to shift based on whatever driving style you choose to exhibit. i'm still learning the shift patterns but i've actually gotten better at applying just the right amount of gas at certain situations (mainly because the throttle response is "synaptic quick"). i'd have to say that driving over a month you really begin to greatly appreciate how good of a transmission it really is. its buttery smooth!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
This was discussed earlier but the trans is pretty smart. Going down hill, tap on the brake, it shifts to 4th and when it's slow enough, tap on the gas and it shifts back to 5th. I haven't seen any car that does this. Well, my other cars are both near 10 yrs old, may be that's common with modern cars.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
In all honesty it is the tranny that convinced me the Titan is my next truck. The whole idea of driving an automatic makes me crazy, but for towing it is the way to go. Every time I test-drive a Titan I am amazed at how good the tranny really is. The fact that it is a 5-speed is also very cool.

I on the other hand love the gated shifter and how well the tranny does what it is told. If I have to drive an automatic I'm just not ready to pop it into drive and go, I still need to be more involved with the act of driving and this tranny allows me that choice.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
LI Titan said:
I was inquiring about the quality of the transmission in the titan. I had a older Nissan where the transmission shifted hard into gear. The transmission did last me until I sold with 165,00 miles. How is the shifting on Titans transmission?

Thanks
I think it's great. My house is at 7,000 ft. in the foothills between Denver & Colorado Springs. I regularly downshift to 3rd gear on a couple of steep inclines with low speed limits, and it has always felt very smooth.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I love the gate setup. I pop between 4th and 5th frequently. Just a quick flip of 1 finger to 4th, or the thumb back to 5th. I hit 3rd occassionally in housing developements (30 and less) to keep speed down easily. The tranny is a major highpoint on these trucks, IMHO. To me very close to the engine as a high point.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ditto!!

What everyone has said! It is the smoothest automatic I've ever driven.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It is the smoothest shifting transmission I have ever seen. I have driven all of the pickups including the Allison and nothing is as smooth, plus it has 5 speeds. It helps make the engine feel stronger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts