Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just spent a couple hours looking for any info related and didn't find anything that was similar on the Gen2 gas trucks. I know have about 25K miles on the truck and in the last few months I noticed something that is new. History: Had the updates done maybe 6 months ago and didn't notice this issue immediately so don't think it is related. Symptom is that after the truck sits over night that if I start and pull it into gear it is if I had put in neutral when I left off the brake pedal. It will start to roll if on an incline be it in the direction I have shifted or not, and no reaction to the gas pedal for maybe 10 seconds, so if I were parallel parked it would have rolled into the car down hill from me if brake not covered. Acts normal all other times and getting good fuel mileage.

I called the dealer to discuss if they had any issues similar on TSP, service writer put me on hold and talked to service manager and came back with the truck won't shift into gear until it warms up a bit and that is normal. I live in south Florida so we aren't talking anything near freezing and it does it in the 70s F and it didn't act like this the first 20K+ miles so I think the dealer is full of it.

I don't see any leaking so assume the trans is still full on fluid, and sealed so no way to easy check. It seems to me to be something where maybe the torque converter is draining back fluid or it is just taking a while to come up to pressure. Its kind of like what you would maybe expect in an old transmission back in the day that was in bad need of a service or just plain worn out, but I understand these transmissions work differently as to how they lockup and shift.

Anyone experience a similar issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dealer is full of it. Mine gets started at actual cold temps all winter and has never acted like that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the comment Dave, I have the same feeling

hopefully someone has had a similar issue and knows a fix

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing. I took it in and they let is sit for a few days. They couldn't repeat it, but Nissan said if there was metallic particles in the pan to put a new transmission in it. There wasn't anything in the pan but the dealer said the fluid smelled burnt. They put a new transmission in but it still does it. Now it also has the RPM surge when there is a slight load on it. I'll take it back in soon.

I think fluid is leaking out of the converter and back into the pan. This would be easy to check if there was a dipstick for the transmission, but noooo......

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine does the exact same thing. I took it in and they let is sit for a few days. They couldn't repeat it, but Nissan said if there was metallic particles in the pan to put a new transmission in it. There wasn't anything in the pan but the dealer said the fluid smelled burnt. They put a new transmission in but it still does it. Now it also has the RPM surge when there is a slight load on it. I'll take it back in soon.

I think fluid is leaking out of the converter and back into the pan. This would be easy to check if there was a dipstick for the transmission, but noooo......
Well if it is a leak back issue, how about park on level ground let sit a day or two then pull the fill plug should show if over full. Because they fill warm (expands slightly).

Any mechanic types out there think that's a valid test, or do they always leak back to an overflow state?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts