Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the gas Triple Dog Bully dog require the use of the power cable to a fused positive power point or can the unit source its entire power through the OBD computer port located under the steering column dash like other programmer units?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I think it has the power switch on it on the obd port. Idk if its the same as the gt but i have the gt and it does.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Does the gas Triple Dog Bully dog require the use of the power cable to a fused positive power point or can the unit source its entire power through the OBD computer port located under the steering column dash like other programmer units?
You can run it strictly off the on/off switch on the OBD port adapter. Hardwiring it into the fuse box will shut it off with the truck or you can just flick the on/off switch on the adapter every time you turn the truck off. Hope this helps... Basically it can get all the power it needs from the OBD port adapter but just remember to turn it off when you turn the truck off...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You can run it strictly off the on/off switch on the OBD port adapter. Hardwiring it into the fuse box will shut it off with the truck or you can just flick the on/off switch on the adapter every time you turn the truck off. Hope this helps... Basically it can get all the power it needs from the OBD port adapter but just remember to turn it off when you turn the truck off...
:imwithstu

I always powered my BDGT from the OBDII port.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
My "extra wire" is tied into the cigarette lighter that turns off with the ignition off. Pretty sure it's the one on the right. It is just an extra wire and not needed, if you want to have to remember to turn off the BDGT every time.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Since we are talking about on/off...Do the BD have to be hooked in to keep the truck "programmed or tuned"?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Since we are talking about on/off...Do the BD have to be hooked in to keep the truck "programmed or tuned"?
No. Once programmed, you can remove it and the tune will stay.

Most people leave the BDGT connected only to monitor AFR and other engine vitals.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No. Once programmed, you can remove it and the tune will stay.

Most people leave the BDGT connected only to monitor AFR and other engine vitals.
Before I purchased my unit I called the tech at Bully Dog. He specifically told me that it had to stay plugged in to save the settings. I then unplugged it to verify what he told me and found out that the settings remained even after I unplugged it and then plugged it back in again.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Am I supposed to run premium with my triple dog? MY friend said i should or my motor will start pinging. I havent installed it yet and have a full tank of piss.
No. Not unless you install the Premium tune, but I've run them both and see no difference, so why spend the extra cash on premium?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before I purchased my unit I called the tech at Bully Dog. He specifically told me that it had to stay plugged in to save the settings. I then unplugged it to verify what he told me and found out that the settings remained even after I unplugged it and then plugged it back in again.
How long did you leave it unplugged before plugging it back in? Try unplugging it for a half-hour and then replug it in and check it.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
The ECU is not RAM it's EPROM. This means that you can have to flash it to change the program. It also means that you can damage your ECU if you do something else while it is being flashed. It's the same thing as your motherboard bios. That is why it tells you to turn everything off before you begin and to make sure that the unit does not lose power.

When you "reset to factory", you are just retuning the ECU to the same settings that the factory installed. The ECU only holds one tune. Once you tune it, there is no way to lose that tune unless you change ECUs. Hope that helps.

Oh ya, sorry. I should have put this first: you can unplug your BDGT after tuning and not lose your tune.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
^^ What he said.

Usually after i install a tune, I unplug the programmer and store it in my closet until I desire to make a change. Could be days, weeks or years.

The tune on the truck is not going to change unless another programmer overwrites it. For that reason, its a good idea to return the truck to stock before going to the dealer for service. If they write over your tune, your programmer will not be able to tune the vehicle again until you pay $100 to get it unlocked.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
^^ What he said.

Usually after i install a tune, I unplug the programmer and store it in my closet until I desire to make a change. Could be days, weeks or years.

The tune on the truck is not going to change unless another programmer overwrites it. For that reason, its a good idea to return the truck to stock before going to the dealer for service. If they write over your tune, your programmer will not be able to tune the vehicle again until you pay $100 to get it unlocked.
Oh crap ya, I forgot about that. Make sure you remove your tune if you go to the dealer. The last thing you want to do is have to call Bully Dog and explain why you can't tune your truck, then pay them more money to tune. TY!

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
TRIPLE DOG FOR THE DAMN WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL JK JUST BUY UPREV!

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
TRIPLE DOG FOR THE DAMN WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL JK JUST BUY UPREV!
LMAO Love that movie.
"I triple dog dare you. Oh no. A triple dog dare."
"You'll shot your eye out."
"Oh no, I think shot my eye out."

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
lets triple dog everything we see even programmers for a 5k drivetrain yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! useless junk lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts