Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Crew Cab with 4WD (50k miles).
After driving in rain today and letting the truck sit outside, the truck seemed to be fighting against the brakes or some other resistance on the way home.
Truck was set in 2WD mode and nothing has been acting odd up to now.
Is it possible for the brakes to swell in the rain and bind the truck up until the loosen?
I have the Frozen Rotors/Hawk pad combo installed about 18 mos ago.
Front and rear diffs seems to be acting normal with no bad sounds and no codes.
It really seems like the truck is fighting against some resistance.

·
Premium Member
58,397 Posts
I'm sure anything is possible but I've never heard of it. Could you have a caliper that is dragging? I had a Chevy do it and my father had a Ford do it.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
it is possible that it is the brakes...ive had mine settle several times causing a little resistance. that is usually due to lot rot and goes away after about 300-400ft of moving. all disc brakes do that. if your sure its not an ECU or driveline issue, i would check the E-brake. those can get seized on to the insides. i will say though, all brake issues like this usually make sounds of some sort.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
I would jack it up and see if each wheel spins freely, obviously it would need to be in 'N' for the rear.. If they do, I'd crawl undeneath following the CV shafts from each wheel to the diff housings, then the primary shafts up to the transfer case primarily looking for worn CV joints or blown out bearing packs. A few guys have had wheel bearings go bad and need replacing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another possibility is that water got into the e-brake drum and they are dragging.
I'll check wheels/CV joints.
The truck didn't pull which makes me think it wasn't just one wheel.....

·
Super Moderator
161,047 Posts
My best guess would be the parking brake on one side or the other, or both. If it were in the back and only one, it wouldn't pull your steering wheel. Possibly the cable. Pops' suggestion to try jacking it and seeing if they turn freely is a good one. Me? I'd start in the back.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would jack it up and see if each wheel spins freely, obviously it would need to be in 'N' for the rear..

Since we have auto hubs, wouldn't you have to have the truck in neutral to spin all four wheels? I haven't played with it, and am curious.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Since we have auto hubs, wouldn't you have to have the truck in neutral to spin all four wheels? I haven't played with it, and am curious.
No, it all disengages when the ignition is turned off... In the past I've parked in 4x4 to jack up the rear w/o needing to chock the front wheels... It doesn't work on these vehicles, as soon as the ignition is off, the drivetrain automatically changes to 2wd mode. :(

·
Premium Member
58,397 Posts
I know this is a long shot but I have an infrared thermometer. I used it once to figure out which caliper was dragging.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I opened up rear brakes and found that one of the parking brake shoes had separated from it's backing plate and was floating free inside the parking brake drum.
It must have been jamming in the drum and rubbing against the drum.
I'll need to replace the shoes, but they have almost no wear on them.
It seems like the rivets holding the shoe to the backing plate just rusted out.
No more resistance............:hat:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I opened up rear brakes and found that one of the parking brake shoes had separated from it's backing plate and was floating free inside the parking brake drum.
No more resistance............
Both of mine did the same thing. They are held on the backing plate by adhesive, no rivets. Unless your shoes are dragging, they should last the lifetime of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
75,189 Posts
No more resistance............:hat:
mine did something similar and broke the right rear wheel sensor...... BTW your truck won't go into 4wd with a broken wheel sensor, I learned that Sunday night and decided to wrap up my brake job then..... :bangit:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts