Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it was necessary to leave my firearm in the Titan but I have been fearful of the break glass and grab type criminal. The solution was a safe but I have seen none that satisfied my needs until now. The only real drawback is that I lose most of my center console storage space. The safe I chose uses a Simplex (mechanical combination) lock and is made of heavy, and I really do mean heavy, steel. I made a choice to use existing metal nuts to secure the safe to the vehicle. I could have drilled holes into the floorboard. Here is what I did.
• Removed rubber tray from bottom of center console.
• Unscrewed three, now-visible screws that secured the center console black “bucket” to the gray center console itself.
• Pulled black bucket out of center console exposing gray plastic with three nuts. See picture 937.
• Spent one hour at Lowes looking for longer screws to fit into two of the nuts, one forward and one aft.
• Placed safe in bucket and marked two places where I would drill holes in safe.
• Drilled two pilot holes followed by correct size hole for screws. Forward screw hole is .185 inches. Aft screw hole is .1960 inches. See picture 936 for forward hole.
• Placed bucket back in center console. Screwed in one original aft, driver-side screw to secure bucket where screw does not go through safe.
• Place safe in bucket and screwed it down from the inside to remaining retaining nuts. See picture 941.
• Opened safe with empty holster. See picture 944.
• Placed firearm in holster. See picture 940.
The safe is not visible unless the center console door is flipped open. I can open the safe with one hand. A hydraulic cylinder opens the top of the safe presenting the firearm for my right hand. I can put an extra magazine and my wallet in the bottom of the safe. There is room alongside the safe to store some papers in the bucket.

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
that is a great idea, way to keep that getting in the wrong hands.. Looks very secure.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
very nice install. what is the info on the safe? I am going to be going on a multi state trip and would like to install something like that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very nice install. what is the info on the safe? I am going to be going on a multi state trip and would like to install something like that.
Thank you. This safe is from FAS1 SAFE, LLC and here is a discount code that I believe gets you 25% off. Feel free to pass it on.
CF0911ALPM
In the interest of full disclosure, I do get a commission.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That's cool... CLEAN setup. If I still lived in Houston w/ a CHL It'd be a must in my Titan.

·
Registered
207 Posts
best solution yet! but here in cali it has to be out of immediate reach from the driver. For a while I had a small safe containing my firearm cable locked to my backseat with my magazine unloaded and my bullets in the door panel. That was still illegal so I'm looking into shotgun mounting laws in california. That way I can have the ammunition on the gun and more easily accessible, legally!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thank you. This safe is from FAS1 SAFE, LLC and here is a discount code that I believe gets you 25% off. Feel free to pass it on.
CF0911ALPM
In the interest of full disclosure, I do get a commission.
I bet if you could get that discount increased for a group buy, you'd be inundated with orders. That's a fantastic looking safe that many of us, myself included, would clamor to buy at the right price! Nice work on the install, by the way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bump...

I just installed this today. It is pretty heavy duty.

two things I have to work on.

When driving, the combo buttons rattle at times.

The grip of my gun (XDm) hits the rear of the console when I pull it out or put it in. I have to twist it slightly to clear the console.

Overall, it feels like a very sturdy well built product.

Mine looks just like the pictures above.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yes nice setup. What I like about it is that it is totally out of sight, meaning:

1) Crak-hedz aren't as likely to break into your truck.
2) LEO's can't see it, so legally they can't search for it (unless you got a bag-o-weed or something in plain view to give them just cause).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I pulled the safe back out and placed a 1 1/4" x 3 1/2" piece of wood under the safe. I mounted the wood through the console holes to the mounting bracket. Then mounted the safe to the wood.

This raised the safe so that the gun doesn't hit the rear of the console when inserting or removing. there is still plenty of room between the top and the console lid when closed.

At the same time, I screwed in two screws on the passenger side of the wood base. This created a tilt, so that the driver's side of the safe sits flush against the inside of the console. (creating a little more room for my hand in the open side of the console.

Still working on the button rattle issue.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Truck manufacturer's would be smart to offer a steel locking center console with a simplex mech on it. I don't know any one who owns a truck and doesn't own a gun. Since "Castle Doctrine" laws are becoming more popular, there are more people carrying without a CHL and the need to lock and secure is greater than ever.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Anyone have any idea if this would fit into the glovebox? I have the Nissan-factory DVD player in the console and am not sure this would fit.

-S

·
Registered
348 Posts
Man that would be nice. I tend to rely on the shifty lock on the center console to keep my 1911 safe when I have to leave the truck...but I know that's not gonna cut it at some point. I would totally do this...but that is a high price for a small safe. True...its worth it...but damn. I'll have to keep it in mind when I find some extra scratch.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I installed a GunVault Microvault in my console. Just used some Aluminum angle to mount it to the stock holes in the console.. I have about $85 into it total...

·
Registered
474 Posts
I bet if you could get that discount increased for a group buy, you'd be inundated with orders. That's a fantastic looking safe that many of us, myself included, would clamor to buy at the right price! Nice work on the install, by the way.
^^^^ THIS!!! I'm in if it happens!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Georgia Titans, be cautious. A recent law forbids the addition of compartments for the concealment of contraband.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Georgia Titans, be cautious. A recent law forbids the addition of compartments for the concealment of contraband.
Being from Texas I don't know anything about this law or the gun laws in Georgia. Definitely check the wording of the new law. If it says "contraband" you're probably ok because its only contraband if its against the law for you to have it.

A gun is not contraband unless you aren't allowed to have one.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts