Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....looking for some help. Just had our 2004 king cab V8 (52k miles) towed to the dealership and am waiting on them to call me with the bad news. Driving home the other day, I hit a small bump in the road and the car stalled out (it stalled out on me previously back in January but I was able to get it running again easily and dealership could not diagnose anything then). However, this time I could not restart it. Husband came, cranked it right up and thought I was imagining things until he got about 15 miles down the road and it stalled on him. We did manage to get it home and this morning, when he tried to start it, it just stalled out right after cranking up. I noticed a big puff of blue smoke out of the tail pipe and my husband said the check engine light came on (so is the tire light, airbag light but those have BEEN on). Any clues what this might be? I would like to be armed with some info when the dealership calls. Of course...we are out of warrantee and did not get the extended warrantee. HELP!

Thanks!!
Margaret in Texas

·
Registered
618 Posts
sound like the cat was bad. if it was and the dealership actualy tells you the truth the warenty goes until 80k miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. The dealership just called and said the reason for the truck acting up is because we have been using the wrong key in the ignition. Is this possible? I will admit, my husband does sometimes accidentally try to start it with the valet key but I don't and I didn't the night that I got stranded. Is this possible or do I need to have it diagnosed further to see if it is the cat. converter and they just don't want to fix it? Thanks in advance....

Margaret in Texas

·
Registered
618 Posts
That is the dumbest reason for the truck having your problem. Dont let the dealer tell you that it was a key. get a second look. that sound like a big problem. I would get that checked into. call 1800nissan1 and see if they think that could be the problem. my guess is they will say its not the key.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
thecruzs said:
Thanks for the responses. The dealership just called and said the reason for the truck acting up is because we have been using the wrong key in the ignition. Is this possible? I will admit, my husband does sometimes accidentally try to start it with the valet key but I don't and I didn't the night that I got stranded. Is this possible or do I need to have it diagnosed further to see if it is the cat. converter and they just don't want to fix it? Thanks in advance....

Margaret in Texas
I would question it! Did you tell them you had the regular key the night you got stranded? I didn't know that the valet key would keep the truck from running????? :huh:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
thecruzs said:

Margaret in Texas
From the owner's manual.

NISSAN VEHICLE IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM (NVIS) KEYS

You can only drive your vehicle using the master
or valet keys which are registered to the NISSAN
Vehicle Immobilizer System components in your
vehicle. These keys have a transponder chip in
the key head.

The master key can be used for all the locks.

The valet key cannot be used for the console box
lock, the beside storage compartment lock, or the
tailgate lock.

To protect belongings when you leave a key with
someone, give them the valet key only.
Never leave these keys in the vehicle.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No...they never diagnosed anything back in January. Of course when I called to find out what they found this time around....I got the explanation posted above and then they proceeded to sell me lots of service stuff -- a 60k service check for $765, etc, etc. All I really want to know right now is what is WRONG with the vehicle. I can't believe it would be the key either. I did tell him that I had the correct key in it the night of the final breakdown but he seemed to think that using the wrong key at any point will cause this "disturbance." This is the same dealership I took it to in January by the way. So do I need to find another dealership to truly find out what is really wrong with this truck? I am about to start towing a horse trailer around and would hate for this to happen with horses in tow.

Thanks again for all of your help.....

Margaret in Texas

·
Registered
283 Posts
thecruzs said:
Thanks for the responses. The dealership just called and said the reason for the truck acting up is because we have been using the wrong key in the ignition.
That's the most idiotic thing I have heard lately! Get them to write that up on the service ticket for you and sign it. That way you can show Nissan how moronic they are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok....I am calling Nissan to see what advice they can give me and if they will call this dealership to verify what is going on. Sure hope they don't sabotage my truck because I am "telling" on them! Will post what happens next....

M

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I just called Nissan and spilled my story. The first person I talked to said the KEY THING sounding really off base and so she made notes and said she was going to transfer me to another person who would take further information and actually call the dealership to verify what was going on. When I actually got this next person on the phone, she told me that I should believe whatever the dealership tells me as they are the true experts and would know if there was a real problem. This is a bit disheartening but I am not too surprised with the conflict. It happens. So, maybe I should take it to another dealership or even to an outside mechanic that deals in Japanese cars to see if they diagnose the same thing? Will post more.

Margaret in Texas

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One other thing I just remembered which might be of help--- I remember last week when I was driving on a stretch of highway for about 2 hours with the cruise control on--- the cruise control just shut itself off unexpectedly.

M

·
Super Moderator
34,532 Posts
thecruzs said:
So, I just called Nissan and spilled my story. The first person I talked to said the KEY THING sounding really off base and so she made notes and said she was going to transfer me to another person who would take further information and actually call the dealership to verify what was going on. When I actually got this next person on the phone, she told me that I should believe whatever the dealership tells me as they are the true experts and would know if there was a real problem. This is a bit disheartening but I am not too surprised with the conflict. It happens. So, maybe I should take it to another dealership or even to an outside mechanic that deals in Japanese cars to see if they diagnose the same thing? Will post more.

Margaret in Texas
Didn't you try that before?

How'd that work out for you?

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/733075-post24.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have taken it in to where we purchased it and to an outside mechanic but have never had a firm diagnosis of the problem. I want to believe it's something as simple as the key theory but with the blue smoke and it dying after using the main key in it, I am skeptical.

Margaret in Texas

·
Registered
351 Posts
blue smoke usually means burning oil. This is true of lawn mowers and everything else. If you're getting anything else in the engine it won't burn blue... and Lord help you if you get Transmission fluid or a Mouse into your combustion chambers somehow. ;-)

I'm not an expert, but I'll chime in for the grain of salt that it's worth. Just because it kicked out some blue smoke, that doesn't mean that their's something seriously wrong. If it stalled, it could be for any number of reasons... but the fact that it's running now tells me it could be BAD GAS. Get a few bottles of HEET from walmart and run that with your fuel, that will 'mix in' any water in the fuel and it's only a few dollars. If your titan is E85 capable (not sure considering it's an 04) then take this opportunity to fill up on ethanol and see if that helps.

My grandmother had a dodge dakota that stalled frequently. We couldn't figure it out, then her lawn tractor started doing the same thing. Sure enough, I poured the gas out of her lawn tractors gas can into a coffe can and there was a brown area where the water had seperated. The problem was easily fixed...she stopped getting gas at the local gas station and opted for the Shell station down the highway a few miles. She hasn't had the problem since.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE. So we got it back from the dealership yesterday after 3 days in the shop. When I got my bill, I noticed they did not do the oil change that I asked. Drove it about 3 miles and it died. I came to a red light and felt the truck idling extremely rough and I just knew it was going to die. Able to restart and got into a parking lot. Called dealership. He said to have it towed back to them (my cost) and they would have a look again. No apology--- lots of arrogance. I am not looking for a fight here. We love this truck and just want it running again--- reliably. So...managed to get it to an Auto Zone where they could not get any codes from it. Could not get the truck to start at all at this point so it stayed at Auto Zone overnight and tow truck will bring it to a different dealership today on the other end of town this morning. I knew it was not the key all along but wanted to believe the fix was that easy. My feeling was that since the previous dealership was not able to sell me the expensive 60k service package--- they completely wrote us off and didn't do any checking at all on the vehicle other than the quick diagnostic. If they had just test drove it (do dealers do that?), it would have died on them and then the 3 days it was in the shop would not have been for nothing. Will post again after I hear back from this next dealership.

Margaret in Texas

1 - 20 of 25 Posts