Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help choosing a truck wax/polish. I've used carnuba and other over the counter like liquid glass. Any opinions or preferences on these or other products? Turtle Wax Ice looks interesting. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Mothers or Meguiars is all I buy - Meguiars seems to produce a better shine and it seems like Mothers is a little more "durable" or lasts longer between waxing.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
so far i have never waxed my titan, but i do use a paint sealant on my Tiburon and it work out pretty good. i got the wax from the Toyota dealer i worked at, its the hardest wax to take off!!! i don't know if a special kind of wax but its used for doing "signatures" on new cars. basically its a package that can be bought by the customer that includes waxing the car, putting a vinyl and leather treatment on the dash, doors, leather seats (if its got em). all i know is it took 5+ hours for me to wax the exterior, do the inside, and take the wax off a 06 double cab tundra. i was dead after i was done! the truck was BLING BLING when i was done and the person that bought it came and thanked me for doing a great job on the truck + a lil $$$$. the paint sealant works great, it last for a while, he kept bringing his tundra back for oil changes, and the paint still felt smooth with about 10K miles on it.

i got a question about waxing my truck, i got my titan rust proofed when i got it and i am not sure if i can wax it??? if i can, i can pretty much say i will be waxing it for 8 hours.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
no problem - rust proofing will not affect your ability to wax

·
Registered
257 Posts
dam* i shoulda asked this sooner!! i went almost 3 years without waxing cause i thought it would mess it up.

sweet, time to spend a day pampering the titan!

thanks fox

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
enjoy your day with the wax!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
so far i have never waxed my titan, but i do use a paint sealant on my Tiburon and it work out pretty good. i got the wax from the Toyota dealer i worked at, its the hardest wax to take off!!! i don't know if a special kind of wax but its used for doing "signatures" on new cars. basically its a package that can be bought by the customer that includes waxing the car, putting a vinyl and leather treatment on the dash, doors, leather seats (if its got em). all i know is it took 5 hours for me to wax the exterior, do the inside, and take the wax off a 06 double cab tundra. i was dead after i was done! the truck was BLING BLING when i was done and the person that bought it came and thanked me for doing a great job on the truck + a lil $$$$. the paint sealant wors great it last for a while, he kept bring his tundra back for oil changes, and the paint still felt smooth with about 10K miles on it.

i got a question about waxing my truck, i got my titan rust proofed when i got it and i am not sure if i can wax it??? if i can, i can pretty much say i will be waxing it for 8 hours.

(((sorry i didnt know i double posted this)))

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was at GAS where PIMP My Ride is shot, they had this wax, cant' recall the name but it was supposed to be good I think it was a little pricey.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Flippin Pips said:
I was at GAS where PIMP My Ride is shot, they had this wax, cant' recall the name but it was supposed to be good I think it was a little pricey.

LoL at your reply. :gunz:

·
Registered
725 Posts
i've used the turtle wax ice liquid a few times and have been very happy with it. it comes off very easily, no white dust, and it seems to last longer than meguires. mine is still shiny after over a week and several rainy days. and it's black... repels water well too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Collinite insulator Wax. I first used it on my boat and was amazed at how good it works. I did some research on it and professional detailers who detail cars for competitions swear by it. It works great, does on easy and produces a long lasting finish I have water beading up on my wifes mini-van for over a year with it.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Zaino used to be a good system... but I think Meguiar's system is just as good, if not better, and its cheaper...

before waxing, use paint cleaner (step 1) and at least wash with dawn and clay it to remove impurities which will provide a nice glossy slick and natural shine, then wax it (or follow the steps to remove swirl marks, etc.)... Then use a quick detailer to maintain your clean vehicle...

·
Registered
693 Posts
+1 on the Collinite. I use it and Duragloss sealant sometimes, but I find the Collinite is the longest lasting and most durable LSP I have ever used, and I've tried a bunch!
Go the full monty and do a clay bar, full polish before you wax, and you won't believe the results.

·
Registered
296 Posts
meguiars gold class wax and meguiars ultimate quick detailer ( works great on blk) spray polish

·
Registered
78 Posts
I continue to be very happy with Griot's Garage products. I second the comment on going for the full treatment. Cleaning Clay + Polish + Wax is going to give you about the best results. At least three people asked me if my truck was brand new the weekend that I did the whole nine yards...
They also have a paint sealant if you are looking for something a bit more durable with a little less shine.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Krodad said:
Go the full monty and do a clay bar, full polish before you wax, and you won't believe the results.
definately... when I sold my motorcycle, all I did was clay it and use quick detailer.... it also removes bugs and tar easily, even on non-painted areas. Before I left, and when I got it home, I always wiped it down with quick detailer... when I sold the bike, the guy sent me an email-- couldn't believe how shiny it was, looked better than new, and he thought I "obviously" waxed it, which I never did....

if you want your paint to shine at its very best, clean it before you wax it. then all you have to do is maintain it.... as long as you maintain it, all the hard work is in the past....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Energizer said:
definately... when I sold my motorcycle, all I did was clay it and use quick detailer.... it also removes bugs and tar easily, even on non-painted areas. Before I left, and when I got it home, I always wiped it down with quick detailer... when I sold the bike, the guy sent me an email-- couldn't believe how shiny it was, looked better than new, and he thought I "obviously" waxed it, which I never did....

if you want your paint to shine at its very best, clean it before you wax it. then all you have to do is maintain it.... as long as you maintain it, all the hard work is in the past....
would clay bar remove and small scratches?

·
Registered
78 Posts
ldizzle_sks said:
Clay bars just remove surface contaminants...they pick up a surprising amount of stuff on a newly washed car. The polish would then be used to hide small scratches. Some systems even have different polishes with varying levels of abrasive...always start with the least abrasive and only go up to a more aggressive polish if necessary to hide larger scratches.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
ldizzle_sks said:

For small scratches, where the clear coat is still there, I use Meguiar's paint cleaner, and a polishing ball on a cordless drill, like the mothers ball... this stuff also works well for removing what may appear to be door dings, as it could be the other door's paint on your vehicle...

clay bars will also remove things on top the paint, but they also remove what you don't see... rub your hand across your paint, or toss a towel on it. See how far it slides... does it feel like sandpaper? usually, after using a clay bar, the surface contaminents are removed and the paint will be glossy smooth that a towel will slide right off the car... then wax/polish the paint to protect the surface from contaminents. When it starts feeling rough, depending on where you live, you may need to clay it more often...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts