Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys-

went out this morning after a cold cold night here in MD and my Titan won't start. Its been turning over a little slower than usual the past week or so as the temps have dropped but had always started until this morning. The engine will crank, but won't turn over completely. The battery has only 4,000 miles on it. Its a 2007 CC with 63k miles on it. I called the nissan dealer where I bought it and he said they don't usually replace the spark plugs until 105k miles. Any ideas on what it could be or how I can fix it without having it towed up to the dealer?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
If it isn't turning over it's not the spark plugs.
The battery probably can't take the cold.

Get the jumper box out and try it.

Reactions: smctitan

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Agreed, battery. Sounds like it was already starting to have problems. The other thing to check since you say it is new is that your connections are on properly and you have no build up of gunk around the terminals. I know I've had my terminals feel like they were snug, but they really weren't making good contact and I wasn't getting the proper voltage distributed around.

Check the battery with a meter. Easy as pie to figure out if that's what it is. Sitting overnight, the battery should still read 12.5-12.7 volts in the morning. Once started it should read higher. Somewhere in the mid to high 13 range if I remember correctly.

So, I would suggest cleaning the terminals good and checking voltage. If it's not starting, I'm guessing the voltage is below 12.5VDC. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody. Took my truck back to Advanced Auto with the 3 mo old receipt and explained to them what was happening. They performed the diagnostics and everything checked out fine with the battery and the alternator. Took it out and hooked the battery up to their charger for a half hour just to see if it would help. Everything is good so far and they said if the problem persists they'll replace the battery free of charge. Hope this works.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Do you have any aftermarket stuff that could be draining your battery while its not in use? Might be that it could be drawing from the battery even when it is off and sitting in the cold overnight doesn't have enough juice to start. Just a thought. Doesn't seem like a 4 month old battery should be going bad already.

Shawn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so just an update on this issue. Its not completely fixed yet. First off, no after market products of any kind that would cause the battery to drain. After I took it back to Advanced Auto, and they ran the diagnostic test everything came back fine. Car started pretty decent all last week but then it would do the same thing. I would have to turn it to the "on" position so the battery would be on, the gauge lights and radio would be on and then wait a minute or so before trying to crank it over. It would start then. Yesterday morning, after a 19 degree night...nothing. Called AAA and they came out to give me a jump. Not even 10 seconds after hooking it up, the Titan fired to life. Went to Advanced Auto and exchanged the battery completely. Installed the battery and it started immediately. Now, just went out to check on it today and i'm back to last week where I would have to leave it in the "on" position for a minute then give it a go. Any suggestions? I wanted to at least exchange the battery so I could rule that possibility out but now i'm back at square one!

Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
SMC, did you ever get this figured out?

·
Premium Member
4,309 Posts
I was going to say battery as well, but sounds like that's a negative. I know mine is doing the exact same thing, but I know it's the battery, even had to jump it today off my wifes car. If it's happening over time, and when it's completely cold, but if jumped it starts right up. I was going to initially say maybe the alternator isn't putting out enough to keep it fully charged. Or as mentioned above it also could be a fuel sending issue of some sort. Once running what does the voltage show?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Titan it does the samething. Its your fuel system you have to turn key to the on position for a few minutes then the truck should start right up. I never had this problem before tI'll Nissan had a recall on the fuel pump. Ever since then I have this problem and only when it's cold outside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have cold start issues as well. Could it be the fusible link ? Battery was changed last winter. When I'm not an idiot and remember to...I keep it plugged in to a trickle charger over night and that seems to be fine. Last week I pulled off the fusible link and cleaned it. Cleaned the terminals,posts etc. added some posts pads and put everything back on. Sprayed some of the red terminal spray over everything thinking I solved the issues. First strong overnight freeze,I decided to see if it would start in the morning. Nope :(

There is a history of the posi terminal leaching that corrosive green debri...thought the red stuff would stop that issue. I can't remember where I have read it before....but when it first started happening last winter,a post mention a slow battery drain due to a bad fusible link ? Could that be the issue ? I'm really hoping so because it's inexpensive and easy to self change. Don't have the money if it's much more expensive.

Any other ideas ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 08 Titan. Never had a problem up until last winter. I will not start when it's cold. But as soon as I jump it, it fires right up. I have read several threads on this same issue but yet to have seen any answers. Has anyone figured it out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, I hate it when people resurrect a dead thread, but I have now the same problem. When I took it into the dealer, there is some sensing unit that requires 12v. Anything below, like 13.7v and it wont fire up. I charge the battery for a bit, or if it's over 50f, it starts. PITA. (just wanted to complete the thread if I don't find this elsewhere.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, I hate it when people resurrect a dead thread, but I have now the same problem. When I took it into the dealer, there is some sensing unit that requires 12v. Anything below, like 13.7v and it wont fire up. I charge the battery for a bit, or if it's over 50f, it starts. PITA. (just wanted to complete the thread if I don't find this elsewhere.)
13.7 is more than 12. Did you mean 11.7? Curious as I’m dealing with the same symptoms now too. 2015 original battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check for cut and burned wires. Get alternator tested.

Inspect spark plugs and wires. Also fuel injectors.

Fuel pump is in the gas tank, last thing I would check.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts